Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > Bug Reports And Codecs

Bug Reports And Codecs Report BS.Player bugs here - help us to improve BS.Player even further.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 30th September 2005
BS.Player Newbie

XenoS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Open Office 2.0 Bug

Just wanted to let you know that whenever I run BSplayer 1.36 b825, my Open Office 2.0 file associations are destroyed. They all revert back to whatever they were before Open Office 2.0 was installed. The only way to get them back is to completely reinstall Open Office. I've thoroughly tested this, and at first I thought it might be the option to restore BSplayer file associations on start, but even with the option off, just the act of running BSplayer wrecks my Open Office file associations.
Old 2nd October 2005
BS.player Regular User

mhanor is an unknown quantity at this point

are you sure? I'm using BSPlayer and OpenOffice and the same issue happens to me too... I never suspected BSPlayer... how did you come to this conclusion? what tool have you used for monitoring the changes?

btw, you don't have to reinstall OO, just use the Change -> Modify options and at the end of the setup check the three check boxes (the Repair option doesn't fix the file associations)
Old 3rd October 2005
BS.Player Newbie

It was pretty easy to test once the root cause was known, and the root cause (being bsplayer) was discovered after the Nth reinstall of Open Office. At first it seemed random, but in one case bsplayer was one of only two programs that had been run afterwards when it happened yet again. So what I did was put several files on my desktop, an xls, a doc, and an odt. I'd make sure they opened in the correct app by double clicking on each of them, then try something like changing an option or running a program, then I'd double click each of them again. I have no idea why bsplayer is causing this though. That's for the developer to figure out and fix asap.
Old 5th October 2005
BS.player Regular User

in my system, the file associations do not disappear immediately after running bsplayer... this occurs in time, after a few hours, a day... I'm not so sure that BSPlayer has anything to do with those file associations

use Sysinternals Registry Monitor from www.sysinternals.com to monitor the windows registry and find out what program makes the changes...
Old 7th October 2005
BS.Player Newbie

Which version are you using, free or pro? This is happening with the pro version here. I suppose I could uninstall it and try out the free version, see if it still happens then. Don't really want to go through getting BSplayer all set up just how I like it again though. For what it's worth, I did try my copy of BSplayer Pro on another PC of mine that I have kicking around from my last upgrade, and the same thing happened on it. I'm reasonably sure it's BSplayer causing this. Never the less, I'll look into the reg monitor you mention to see if I can confirm it for sure.

Edit: Running Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2 here by the way, all up to date.
Old 7th October 2005
BS.Player Newbie

Wow, that's a lot of info to sift through. Not much of it makes sense to me either. Not sure how helpful it's going to be for me.

By the way I didn't notice this before, but the shortcuts in the start menu for Open Office are broken after running BSplayer as well. As well, I forgot to mention that I don't use the quick launch feature in Open Office because I've never seen it speed things up when running OO apps. Also, my Open Office install is for the current user only. Not sure if that makes a difference or not, but figured it might be worth mentioning.
Old 13th October 2005
BS.player Regular User

OO1.1.4 OO1.1.5 and BSPlayer 1.22 (817) non-Pro
your observations are not enough... use a program to monitor the system registry; sysinternals registry monitor is a very good tool

ps: be careful not to alarm yourself (like I did) when browsing with bsplayer...
Old 13th October 2005
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

How is RC2 ? Does the problem persist ?

Tags
office, open