Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > General Talk And Support

General Talk And Support General talk and peer-to-peer support about BS.Player and other video and audio multimedia players.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 25th September 2009
BS.player Regular User

zmth is on a distinguished road
Default "smart stretch",anamorphic ,SH1oN ?

Is SH1oN a key sequence meaning shift 1 o N or shift 1 zero n ? Is it case sensitive and do you have to hold down the shift all the time or can one use cap's lock?or what ? How can one apply to a 16/9 aspect ratio to fully full screen fit a 4/3 screen and not cut
off the sides nor make it look obviously stretched in the vertical direction? Is that the same as anamorphic aspect ratio ? When use the anamorphic ratio under the aspect ratio in bs player it looks as if the same thing as doing 4/3 on a 16/9 original and not the 'smart stretch' or whatever good way the tv stations do it so it looks natural and fills the whole screen without obvious vertical stretching. Is there any way one can do the same in bs player if winlrc is disabled. Does SH1oN mean win lrc ? And what does this have to do with subtitles ?
Old 25th September 2009
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

Where does this "SH1oN" come from?
(With English language file selected?)

(possibly related posts)
(P.S.: Suggest to maybe structure your questions a bit better.)
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 30th September 2009
BS.player Regular User

zmth is on a distinguished road
Default it's the title of prvious posts and in many previous posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSPeter View Post
Where does this "SH1oN" come from?
(With English language file selected?)

(possibly related posts)
(P.S.: Suggest to maybe structure your questions a bit better.)
Exactly as it's worded." I think that SH1oN means by "smart stretch" a special subtitle option like many wide screen TVs offer for displaying 4:3 broadcasts with subtitles: these TV's have a feature to enlarge the picture somewhat unevenly (or somewhat distorted if you want), to the effect that the lower part of the screen (where usually subs are positioned) is treated different from the main part of the screen. Though this unevitably results in a somewhat distorted screen at the very bottom, it isn't really annoying and two lines of subs are shown without further fuss."
Old 30th September 2009
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

I asked you "Where does this "SH1oN" come from as I just wondered where (within BS.Player and - as indicated - with the English language file selected) you'd encounterred an indication of a key-sequence "SH1oN" as your post certainly suggested this. But apparently this "SH1oN" isn't an expression or abbreviation you found being used anywhere in/by BS.Player.

In fact almost a year ago a user of this forum with the nick "SH1oN" posted (on 12 October 2008) in the appropriate forum (i.e. Feature requests) a suggestion for a "smart stretch" feature in this thread started by him/her: Smart Stretch Suggestion

In fact your "exactly as it's worded"-reply ad verbatim quotes the text of my reaction in that thread of how I understood that user's suggestion:
Quote:
I think that SH1oN means by "smart stretch" a special subtitle option like many wide screen TVs offer for displaying 4:3 broadcasts with subtitles: these TV's have a feature to enlarge the picture somewhat unevenly (or somewhat distorted if you want), to the effect that the lower part of the screen (where usually subs are positioned) is treated different from the main part of the screen. Though this unevitably results in a somewhat distorted screen at the very bottom, it isn't really annoying and two lines of subs are shown without further fuss.
So apparently you did find this suggestion for a new feature to be added. In such case it always is better (and it certainly wouldn't have caused so much confusion like it did now), to reply to that particular post (to ask if such feature was meanwhile realised or) to indicate your support for the addition of such a feature (in stead of starting a new thread in "General Talk and support"). This just like what I did at the time:
Quote:
A valid suggestion and/or feature request I would say.
Not an easy one to realize I think, but then again ....
It is obvious that this "smart stretch"-suggestion has not so much anything to do with what TV-stations do, but instead it is a feature offered by many TV-sets.
(E.g. my wide-screen-TVs have 4:3, (zoom) 14:9, (zoom) 16:9, 16:9 subtitle mode, superzoom/expanded screen, wide screen and PALplus;
note the newest TV's (I'm sure about those made by Philips) now even have 21:9 screens by the way).
It is also obvious that this requested feature has, on itself, nothing to do with key-sequences nor with remote control signals like WinLIRC.

So I also repeat my previous remark to structure your posts a bit better; most importantly keep them simple and don't bring in all kinds of confusing (but in fact totally irrelevant for the real matter under consideration) thoughts and peripheral phenomena.
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!

Tags
anamorphic, sh1on, smart stretch