Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > General Talk And Support
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Talk And Support General talk and peer-to-peer support about BS.Player and other video and audio multimedia players.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 16th April 2011
BS.Player Newbie

Boxster is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Frame stepping issue... not working as I'd like it to...

Hey everyone,

To start: I am working on a medical research project that requires me to analyze recorded videos frame-by-frame for scoring. Windows media player is apparently not capable of this feature so I hit the "interwebs". Someone in a forum suggested BS Player so I figured I would give it a shot.

I downloaded the latest BS Player, v2.57.

Initially, the arrow keys would jump seconds... not frame by frame. Looked on google and saw that what I want to be a able to do is called "frame stepping".

Searched again and saw how to allow this in BS Player: Disable seek by key frames (in general settings) and select "internal render DirectDraw surface" (in video rendering options).

Great! Now I can do "frame stepping"!

THE ISSUE:

I open a video and immediately hit pause. Using the arrow keys I am able to seek and move frame by frame, BUT about 19-22 seconds in, it wont advance any further. I have played with the setting and can't seem to resolve this.

If I unpause the video, it returns to where I had hit pause. The only way I am able to use this is if I seek to about 18 seconds (otherwise it will skip frames if too exact) and then hit pause again and then I can frame step for another 20 seconds or so. It's very annoying to have to do this. Can't I go frame by frame without it needing to keep the original frame as a returning point? I don't need to return to where I paused.

Is it a buffer issue? Is there a limit to frame stepping? Are my settings off?

I need to have the results for the videos by Monday and there are A LOT of videos. Any help is HUGELY appreciated.

I've spent the last several hours trying to resolve this... nothing was found in doing searches

Video File Info:

File: _______________.mpg
Size: 355734 KB (347 MB) <-Average
Length: 00:05:00
Demuxer: mpegps

Video Resolution: 720 x 480
Aspect ratio: 1.7778
Format: 0x10000002
Bitrate: 9000 kbps
Frames per second: 29.970
Selected codec: ffmpeg2

Initial Audio Stream Format: 8192
Bitrate: 448 kbps
Rate: 48000 Hz
Channels: 2
Selected codec: ffac3

Some Tech Specs:

-Using BS Player v2.57

-ASUS M50VM series
-Windows 7 64bit
-Intel Core2Duo T9400
-nVIDIA GeForce 9600M GS
-4GB RAM

Note: I tried to do this with the same settings on other computers with different OS versions and all had the same exact issue.
Old 16th April 2011
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

Working without problems overhere. (WinXP SP3 - BS.Player Pro 2.57.1051)
When you installed BS.Player, did you allow it to internally
(i.e. for use by BS.Player only and not interfering with your system's codecs/filters)
install its preferred codecs/filters?
Which filters/codecs does BS.Player actually use for playback of your video? To find out:
(rightclick >) Options > Filters > Advanced
Please also click on "Source" and on the small [+]-signs in front of the filters/codecs shown in order to reveal further info (and access).

If you're really in a great hurry for your project, you could perhaps meanwhile try the old 2003-version 0.86.501 (click here for my old Help2Help-post).
[In this connection note the actual 2.57.1051 version and the old 0.86.501 version don't bite eachother, though I must admit I don't know how the old version behaves under Windows 7.]
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 16th April 2011
BS.Player Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSPeter View Post
Working without problems overhere. (WinXP SP3 - BS.Player Pro 2.57.1051)
When you installed BS.Player, did you allow it to internally
(i.e. for use by BS.Player only and not interfering with your system's codecs/filters)
install its preferred codecs/filters?
Which filters/codecs does BS.Player actually use for playback of your video? To find out:
(rightclick >) Options > Filters > Advanced
Please also click on "Source" and on the small [+]-signs in front of the filters/codecs shown in order to reveal further info (and access).

If you're really in a great hurry for your project, you could perhaps meanwhile try the old 2003-version 0.86.501 (click here for my old Help2Help-post).
[In this connection note the actual 2.57.1051 version and the old 0.86.501 version don't bite eachother, though I must admit I don't know how the old version behaves under Windows 7.]
Thanks for the reply.

I tired this on a computer with XP SP3... same result. Same video, same install method, and settings.

I remember it asking to install plugins or something (writing was in red I believe), I clicked ok or yes to allow it to.

When I right click in BS Player v2.57>Options>Filters>Advanced (It didn't work at first, I guess you need to be playing a video to see the window), it doesn't show much...

The only +/- box is for Default DirectSound Device

After that, it says:

EQ (no +/- box)
"EQ

WMVideo Decoder DMO (no +/- box)
"WMVideo Decoder DMO
qasf.dll, Size: 206848 bytes, Version 12.0.7601.17514

CompanyName: Microsoft Corporation
FileDescription: DirectShow ASF Support
FileVersion: 12.0.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255)
InternalName: qasf.dll
LegalCopyright: © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
LegalTradeMarks: © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
OriginalFilename: qasf.dll.mui
ProductName: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
ProductVersion: 12.0.7600.16385
Comments: 12.0.7600.16385"

WMAudio Decoder DMO (no +/- box)
"WMAudio Decoder DMO

Source (no +/- box)
"WMAudio Decoder DMO

I think I tried the older one, but had some issues with in in a Win7 64 environment. I will try it again now and report back soon. In the meantime, what do you think of the information I posted? It appears to be using Windows' stufff....
Old 16th April 2011
BS.Player Newbie

Quote:
I just DL'd 0.86.501

No dice.

I get a black screen. I can hear audio, however. It's VERY laggy too. If I drag the video window around the screen it leaves trails.

I'm running out of time
Old 17th April 2011
BS.Player Master

Maybe try to blacklist WM Decoders DMO:
(rightclick >) Options > Preferences > Filter management > [Blacklist/Whitelist] ... etc.
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 17th April 2011
BS.Player Newbie

Quote:
(rightclick >) Options > Preferences > Filter management > [Blacklist/Whitelist] ... etc.
Just tried that and now I get an error that says "Unknown file format ()"
Old 17th April 2011
BS.Player Newbie

Quote:
Now I'm unable to use the program at all... It says it can't find the codec??

I guess my last resort is to try to uninstall/reinstall...
Old 17th April 2011
BS.Player Master

Did you try to simply "unblacklist" by removing the blacklisted filters from the blacklist?
If you re-install make sure you allow BS.Player to 'internally' install its preferred codecs/filters.
(By the way: it is always possible to re-run BS.Player's codecmanager.
You can find codecmanager.exe inside BS.Player's installation folder.)

(P.S.:
I asked you to try blacklist as I think I've previously read that Microsoft's WM decoders don't support framestepping. Normally, if a filter/codec is blacklisted, BS.Player will search and find another filter/codec which is able to do the job (like e.g. ffdshow filter). Maybe the codec used for encoding doesn't support single frame stepping. I don't know if that could make any sense at all. I'm no codec-expert. To the contrary. However, I'm pretty sure your problem is codec-related, so maybe the only solution would be a recoding/conversion to another video standard.)
Old 17th April 2011
BS.Player Newbie

Quote:
Did you try to simply "unblacklist" by removing the blacklisted filters from the blacklist?
If you re-install make sure you allow BS.Player to 'internally' install its preferred codecs/filters.
(By the way: it is always possible to re-run BS.Player's codecmanager.
You can find codecmanager.exe inside BS.Player's installation folder.)

(P.S.:
I asked you to try blacklist as I think I've previously read that Microsoft's WM decoders don't support framestepping. Normally, if a filter/codec is blacklisted, BS.Player will search and find another filter/codec which is able to do the job (like e.g. ffdshow filter). Maybe the codec used for encoding doesn't support single frame stepping. I don't know if that could make any sense at all. I'm no codec-expert. To the contrary. However, I'm pretty sure your problem is codec-related, so maybe the only solution would be a recoding/conversion to another video standard.)
Thanks for all the help. I am going to try your suggestions this afternoon!

Tags
frame, issue, stepping, working