Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > General Talk And Support

General Talk And Support General talk and peer-to-peer support about BS.Player and other video and audio multimedia players.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 27th June 2004
Ripley
BS.Guest

Default unable to play xvid audio

I have just installed latest version of BSplayer in WXP, and am unable to play xvid sound.

I am sure this is the most basic of questions, but I can find nothing to the point in the install instructions on this site. Just this:

"filters defined in bspfilters.dat will now be loaded even if other libraries are required (for ex. xvid.ax require xvidcore.dll), just put them all in .\filters directory"

there is neither a bspfilters.dat nor a .\filters directory in the BSplayer program file - so how am I to understand this istruction??

would someone be kind enough to enlighten a novice user
Old 27th June 2004
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

There is no such thimg as XviD audio. Movies are generally encoded with MP3 sound (than can be decoded by Windows, no special codec requiered) and AC3 sound wich can be played using an AC3 decoder or filter. I think that the second one is your case. So, just install an AC3 codec or filter:

http://forum.bsplayer.org/viewtopic.php?t=3042
Old 27th June 2004
BS.Player Power User

DragonFighter is an unknown quantity at this point

... or you need to install xvid video decoder. Get it here. (download and install the Latest standalone decoder DirectShow filter)
Old 28th June 2004
BS.Player Newbie

Ripley is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both for your advice.

Perhaps my reference to Xvid audio was a bit misleading. Here is what happened.

A friend in the States sent me a few years worth of Simpsons episodes in avi format. I couldn't play them, so I installed Media Player Classic but vid quality was very poor.

So then I downloaded BSplayer; but tho it could play the vid with greatly improved graphics quality, there is no sound. Media Player Classic says that the vid files are encoded in Xvid format, so I downloaded and installed the Xvid codec (xvid.dll in System32) - but this didn't help.

In fact, whenever I attempt to play any avi file in BSplayer, first I get a window warning "File is corrupted, Seeking will be very slow", then the vid plays OK, but no sound. So I thought the problem was getting BSplayer to recognize the Xvid.dll. That's why the reference to the phantom ./filters directory on the installation page confused me (still does) - I thought I had to drop the xvid.dll there.

In any case, will try to follow all of the suggestions on the referenced page. Hopefully this will take care of the problem

Tags
audio, play, unable, xvid