Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > General Talk And Support

General Talk And Support General talk and peer-to-peer support about BS.Player and other video and audio multimedia players.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 13th November 2007
BS.Player Newbie

Prime9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fullscreen DirectX app + BSplayer on vista

I've been using BSplayer very happily for as long as I can remember, great job guys :) (just thought I'd get that in to start with).

I've just made the jump to vista from XP (32 bit), and something I'd got very used to has stopped working:

I oftem ran a 3d app (games for example) on the primary screen, while having a video playing on the second. And in XP this works fine for the most part, only a very few games refused to co-operate. However in vista anything fullscreen on teh primary monitor and BSplayer re-opens the file and doesn't display anything.

My guess would be that directX10 is being an ass and won't give Bsplayer anything to draw to, but I'm not a graphics programmer so I dunno for sure. No idea if this is anything you can do sometjhing about, but help would be appreciated :)

I've tried playing with the video rendering settings, but none of them seem to work, for now I'm just using a mode thats compatible with aero glass.
Old 13th November 2007
BS.Player Master

Tizio will become famous soon enough

Updated your video card drivers?
Installed latest DirectX v9.0c?
Old 13th November 2007
BS.Player Newbie

sorry, shoulda mentioned that stuff...

- On a BFG-Nvidia 8800 GTX using the latest drivers (updated this morning but he release has been out since 6th nov).
- DirectX also updated roday while I was trying to fix it. I know I have the latest DirectX9, I couldn't find DX10 on the windowsupdate site though, maybe just me being blind, but the search turned up nothing. I suspect the directX web-install updated it too, but uncertain.
-OS (vista32) is up to date, nothing on windows update (including all the optional ones).
Old 13th November 2007
BS.Player Master

DirectX 10 will be updated with Vista Service Pack 1 at the beginning of 2008
Have you also adjusted Video card settings in NVIDIA control panel?
Old 13th November 2007
BS.Player Newbie

I'm not sure if there's a specific setting you're meaning in the NV control panel that needs to be set? if so I must have missed that (searching again as soon as I'm done with this post).

Otherwise all I've changed is the colour balance on the second screen (it's a rather old CRT that's dimmed a bit, even on it's maximum brightness it's a bit low, so I've just bumped up the gamma). Other than that it's all on defaults. (though looking now, the control panel is mightily confused by my CPU, I wish it was running at the 6Ghz it claims :), intel Q6600-quad if that helps).

The screens are set up in dualview mode (pair of 1600*1200 screens)

thanks for the info on Dx10 :)
Old 13th November 2007
BS.Player Master

Wow, what a rig!
8800gtx - q6600 ...
If I'll need to change my desktop (not my notebook) I'll wait for dx10.1 cards.. even if they'll net be used (but I don't think to change my dell9400 for at least 2-3years) :lol:

Try to lower the resolution and try again
Old 13th November 2007
BS.Player Newbie

I do spend too much cash on PC hardware (yes yes, Addicted gamer :)), and loving this thing, I can't find any games that make it hurt yet, without being really mean to it at least :twisted: . tbh I only bought this rig now as the PSU in the old one had a hissy-fit and fried half of the rest of it. can get most of the parts replaced under warranties but they take so long to do it when they're not being paid...

anyway... dropped the res on both screens down to 800*600 and exactly the same results.

having read as much as I can find on these forums, I should clarify that I'm not using the Nvidia fullscreen video or similar (doesn't seem to show up in the vista drivers anyway :/ though i remember playin with it on XP), in fact the video isn't usually fullscreen on the second monitor, but alongside all sorts of other stuff (Teamspeak, reference webpages, mod data, whatever). I may be being a bit cruel to the machine to do this, but in XP it generally worked fine (Source-based games like half-life 2 were the only exceptions I can think of). But now under vista the only game I can run fullscreen alongside BSplayer is the UT3 demo. Wouldn't be surprised if other UE3-based games work too, but I don't have others to try :(.

done a few tests with other players, VLC seems to have other issues with my machine I won't go into, but windows media player seems to work fine running alongside 3D apps. No idea if BSplayer has an equivalent render-mode? though I have tried:

- all of the "internal..." modes
- VMR9 (and the renderless version)
- EVR (not noticed that before)

Though the thought of using WMP is pretty disgusting after using Bsplayer for so long :)

tbh I've no idea what the difference between these modes is. can make some rough guesses, but having never programmed with win32/directx, they're probably way wide of the mark.

EDIT:
Oh and... er... (can't believe I didn't mention this earlier) BSplayer 2.24 (build 954).... *skulks back into the corner*
Old 14th November 2007
BS.Player Master

Sorry, I don't know how to help you furter, at the moment I have only XP installed and I can't try Vista duo to lack of space on my HDD :(
Old 14th November 2007
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

I will upgrade a bit mu computer tomorrow, with the help of an HD 2600 PRO and it's possible to do a system reinstall. Maybe Vista will be the new OS on my computer and then I will have some time for testing.

Back ontopic. WMP it's inegrated into Windows (XP, Vista...all flavours) and it's not using overlay mode. BSPlayer does that. I am prety sure that this problem it's related to the drivers. If my ATI card will do the trick, then it's sure where the problem is.

Tags
app, directx, fullscreen, vista