View Single Post
Old 5th June 2003
BS.Player Newbie

qubit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Some small requests and some bigger Suggestions

I've been looking for a good player with aspect ratio control, and I think BSPlayer will fit my needs nicely! I really like the way hotkeys are customizable, audio syncs just as well as in wmplayer, there's multi-monitor support (whereas so many apps hiccup or choke under my dual-monitor setup!) and more stuff I haven't played with yet. :-)

There are a few little things that would make it perfect for my needs:

1. When I right-click to get the context menu, but decide not to do anything, I left-click somewhere else. But this ends up pausing or resuming playback... which I don't want to happen if I'm only cancelling the context menu.

2. The default size/position in full-screen mode should be a zoom to fit... in whichever is the limiting direction. If the aspect ratio happens to be exactly the same as the display, then it should fill it; otherwise it should letterbox vertically or horizontally. I have a 16:10 monitor, and with 4:3 videos, I have to switch aspect ratio then manually zoom step-by-step with + and - because the default is to fit horizontally and crop the top and bottom. :? It would be quite helpful if an aspect ratio change (e.g. Shift-3) or full screen "reset" (default Num-5) would do a proper zoom-to-fit.

3. In the "Jump to time" dialog, I'd like the clipboard hotkeys to work... mouse right-click does bring it up, but I'd like to be able to use the keyboard for this. Then it's simply: Ctrl-J, Ctrl-C, Esc in BSPlayer, Alt-Tab to VirtualDub and Ctrl-G, Ctrl-V, Enter to jump to the same time position. (Switching between VirtualDub and a player on the same file is something I do often.)

And here are some things that I'd really like but can wait:

4. For "Jump to time" to have a frames box in addition to its hh:mm:ss box, like VirtualDub. And single-frame step hotkeys.

5. A seek-slider that can take full advantage of my display width. None of the skins are resizable; their seek sliders are a fixed width in pixels, which shortchanges me on seeking precision.

6. The ability to play at different speeds, where the audio speeds up or slows down to match (just a simple sample rate change... no resampling or pitch compensation needed!) up to the point where the CPU gets saturated. This is a great way to take advantage of modern CPU power and is actually quite useful!

Thanks,
David

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20