Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > Answered And Solved Questions

Answered And Solved Questions A good place to check before you post your question. All answered / solved posts are archived here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 27th November 2008
BS.player Regular User

Bellzemos is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BS.Player Pro can't play DVDs

Hello!

I have BS.Player Pro v2.15 and it can't play DVDs, not even the original DVDs.

Each time I try to open a DVD, I get the same Warning saying:
"Unknown file format () or corrupted file!"

I have a 3GHz Pentium with 1GB RAM and am using Windows XP SP2.

What should I do to make BS.Player play DVDs?
Old 27th November 2008
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

As stated, BSPlayer can play DVDs if you have a codec installed to handle the format, such as Intervideo, Cyberlink or Elecard MPEG2 decoder.
Old 27th November 2008
BS.player Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by adicoto
As stated, BSPlayer can play DVDs if you have a codec installed to handle the format, such as Intervideo, Cyberlink or Elecard MPEG2 decoder.
I have Cyberlink's Power DVD 5.0 on CD which came with my Nvidia drivers. How can I use only their codec, but not the program? Or where can I obtain such codec? I'd like to use BS.Player for DVDs too. Thanx!
Old 27th November 2008
BS.Player Master

Tizio will become famous soon enough

Codecs can be found in some codec packs (K-Lite one for example)
But you'll be only able to open VOBs from the DVD, DVD menus, Extra and other functionality (sometimes also subtitles, depending on the DVD you intend to play) will not be available with BSplayer FREE, to achieve full DVD experience you need BSplayer Pro
Old 27th November 2008
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizio
....DVD menus, Extra and other functionality (sometimes also subtitles, depending on the DVD you intend to play) will not be available with BSplayer FREE, to achieve full DVD experience you need BSplayer Pro
You mean Pro like mentioned in Bellzemos' title of this thread "BS.Player Pro can't play DVDs"?
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 27th November 2008
BS.player Regular User

:D

And I'd like to get just that one codec to play DVDs in BS Player Pro, not the whole pack (I already have other codecs that I need). Where can I get one?

Thanx!
Old 28th November 2008
BS.Player Master

If you don't want to use the possibility offered by BS.Player to allow it to install the necessary codecs internally (for use by BS.Player only), you could look for a (free) MPEG2 decoder (for DVD playback) e.g. here:
LIST OF CODECS (optional if BS.Player Codec Manager is used) - Official BS.Player forums
http://bsplayer.com/en/bs.player/pro.../?faq=29#faq_2
codecs

And of course you can always resort to the option of using a codec-pack like e.g. K-lite, making sure to deselect everything from it that you do not want/need for your purpose when you install it.

P.S.:
If you didn't allow codec-download by BS.Player at installation, but now would like to give it a try, you need not re-install BS.Player, but can run the application codecmanager.exe (formerly bspcodecdl.exe) which you can find in BS.Player's installation folder (XP-default: C:\Program Files\Webteh\BSPlayer[pro]\ )
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!

Last edited by BSPeter; 13th February 2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 29th November 2008
BS.Player Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSPeter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizio
....DVD menus, Extra and other functionality (sometimes also subtitles, depending on the DVD you intend to play) will not be available with BSplayer FREE, to achieve full DVD experience you need BSplayer Pro
You mean Pro like mentioned in Bellzemos' title of this thread "BS.Player Pro can't play DVDs"?
:lol:
maybe I need glasses now :(
Old 29th November 2008
BS.Player Master

Old 1st December 2008
BS.player Regular User

Thank you, BSPeter!

Can you tell me what is the difference between the free and commercial MPEG2 codecs?

If I install a free MPEG2 codec, is it possible that it will "fight" with an other codec (DivX for example) or with some other software?
Old 1st December 2008
BS.Player Master

The difference between the free and commercial MPEG2 codecs?
Well, I would say primarily: $$$$$$$$
MPEG2 and DivX (mpeg4) are two different video-"beasties", so I don't see how these two could clash.
Old 1st December 2008
BS.player Regular User

What about other codecs (ffd, xvid, ogg,...), can I expect clashes? So which MPEG2 free codec to play DVDs do you sugest (one without adware or spyware), a good working, clean one? Thanx again!
Old 1st December 2008
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

Here

Extract the archive somwhere on the hard disk and run register.bat. Don't delete the folder ;)
Old 2nd December 2008
BS.player Regular User

Thank you, it seems to work fine. :D
Old 12th January 2009
BS.player Regular User

Womanizer is an unknown quantity at this point

I am having problems while using BSPlayer Pro 2.34 (last version). I was able to see my DVD (directory with VOB files), but the image was frozen when I clicked on the BSP (if I don't touch anything, it will keep displaying the video), and not only that, one strange screen called "Active-Movie Window" was in front of the BSPlayer window all the time, and I was unable to close it.

How can you tell if I have the necessary codecs installed on my machine? Is there a way to look what is installed here?

My current system: Windows XP SP1, P4 3 GHz 1 GB RAM. :)
Old 12th January 2009
BS.Player Master

Try to change rendering mode (CTRL+P -> Video -> Video rendering -> Rendering mode). Probably now you have VMR9, change to internal default renderer or EVR.

To know which codecs are in use while playing a video right-click -> Options -> Filters -> Advanced
Old 7th March 2009
BS.player Regular User

Womanizer is an unknown quantity at this point

BSPlayer PRO is working and playing DVDs with the Elecard MPEG-2 decoder (which is also proprietary), by the way. End of story. :D

You should avoid the InterVideo MPEG-2 decoder, it's not working as it should. Use Elecard instead.

Tags
dvds, play