Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > Bug Reports And Codecs

Bug Reports And Codecs Report BS.Player bugs here - help us to improve BS.Player even further.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 18th July 2004
BS.Player Newbie

MaRcOs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default problems opening a movie

:oops: when i installed bs player, it was perfect, everithing worked all right, but after a while, suddenly i try to open a movie, (even movies that i've already seen without problems), and the software get freezed opening the movie, from then and on the computer get freezed and i can not even shutdown my pc, i could solve this poroblem sometimes reinstalling the bs player and the k-lite codec pack (the one that i like more until now), but now it doesn't seem to be helpful, please HEEEEEELP!!!!!!!, :!: MaRcOs
Old 18th July 2004
BS.player Regular User

netzah is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got this problem, too. Player opens movie with no problems, but when freezes when opening subtitles. It happens only with some movies&subs, others work just fine.
It might be that: http://forum.bsplayer.org/viewtopic.php?t=5209, but i'm using so called "TMPlayer format":
00:03:16:Jestem twoim fanem numer jeden!
00:04:05:Więc postanowiłem...
Old 18th July 2004
BS.Player Newbie

jus is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same problem too with divx/Xvid files. It just gets stuck at opening and when I ctrl+alt+del, it's shown as not responding(using win98 here).

Just like to add my problem is not subtitle related.
Old 19th July 2004
BS.Player Newbie

Clark Gable is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the exact same problem here. The BSPlayer worked for about 2 days, then it sometimes runs the movies I want and sometimes doesn't.

I am not using any codec pack (I hate those), I'm a minimalist who uses only the codecs I need. Right now, all the codecs I have are the DivX 5.11 and the AC3 filter. Also, I think the problem lies on a certain Winamp DSP plugin I installed - Enhancer 0.17 (I use to increase the volume). Ever since I installed that, the BSPlayer is very erratic, sometimes runs the movies perfectly, sometimes just freezes the computer with no option to reboot unless I reset the computer. I tried to disable the Enhancer, but it didn't do the trick. It has nothing to do with subtitles, as it sometimes freezes on movies without subtitles.

PC specs:
Windows Me
256 MB
Nvidia GeForce 2 MX200

I'm using the latest final version of BSPlayer.

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 28th July 2004
Administrator
BS.Player Power User

Mat2000 will become famous soon enough

We will look that.
Old 28th July 2004
BS.Player Power User

majk_tajsam is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Gable
PC specs:
Windows Me
256 MB
Nvidia GeForce 2 MX200
First step: get rid of Windows Me (most unstable windows OS), use Windows 2000 or Windows XP.
Old 29th July 2004
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by majk_tajsam
First step: get rid of Windows Me (most unstable windows OS), use Windows 2000 or Windows XP.
Off topic: I'm using Win-Me and BSPlayer without problems and that since quite a while, so (also given the number of posts of e.g. Win-XP users) I don't think changing to another OS presents an immediate and simple solution to all possible problems, even if M$'s Bill would like us to believe that......
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 29th July 2004
BS.Player Power User

majk_tajsam is an unknown quantity at this point

Why Win2000 or WinXP?

1. Task Manager - which can kill "any" process (for example if BSPlayer get freezed) without need to restart your computer (in Win9x and WinME Task Manager is quite uncapable)

2. http://www.aumha.org/a/whichwin.php (for more information)

3. http://www.aumha.org/stats.htm
Old 29th July 2004
BS.Player Master

Note I'm not denying nor confirming that WinXP is more stable than .... (whatever previous MS Windows version).
As a matter of fact I advised my son - who is an addicted and intensive gamer - against WinMe at the time (in 2001), so that he stayed with Win98 until 2003 when he bought a new PC, for which I advised him WinXP.
At work I'm used to WinNT and WinXP.
My personally preferred OS is no MS-version whatsoever, but RiscOS (which you probably don't know).

Nevertheless I repeat:
  1. Off topic
  2. I'm using Win-Me together with BSPlayer without problems and that since quite a while
  3. I don't think changing to another OS presents an immediate and simple solution to all possible problems
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 3rd August 2004
BS.Player Newbie

Just thought you guys might want to know, I fixed my problem by using ffdshow and uninstalling the divx and xvid codecs. BSPlayer don't like those codecs?
Old 3rd August 2004
BS.Player Master

No, BSPlayer works just fine with codecs. In fact the quality of its performance as a rule is better with the original codecs than with ffdshow.
One should however never overdo on codecs, that's the reason why I always advise against codec-packs, as most people are tempted to install too much of the "goodies" that these packs contain. By doing so only increasing the possibility of conflicts and making it harder to find out what exactly may be causing troubles. (And then often unjustifiedly BSPlayer gets the blame for faults which users have in fact caused themselves.)
From your information I do not get the impression that you used a codec pack, so that's good!
For a less high capacity system (CPU/graphics card), ffdshow may be a better choice. For lower capacity systems I often recommend it in combination with version 0.86 of BSPlayer (e.g. like I did here).
Old 4th August 2004
BS.Player Newbie

I wasn't using any codec pack. I only had divx 5.11, the latest xvid and stinky's mpeg2 codec installed. Bsplayer just won't load any of the divx/xvid video files. It stays on opening.... and it stops responding(Divx player runs them fine) and this thread shows I wasn't the only person with this problem. Maybe some weird conflict?

FFdshow fixed the problem anyway so no harm done.
Old 4th August 2004
BS.Player Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jus
I wasn't using any codec pack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSPeter already
From your information I do not get the impression that you used a codec pack, so that's good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jus
It stays on opening.... and it stops responding(Divx player runs them fine)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat2000 already
We will look that.

(I was just reacting to your question: "BSPlayer don't like those codecs?")

Tags
movie, opening