Official BS.Player forums

Official BS.Player forums (http://forum.bsplayer.com/index.php)
-   Bug Reports And Codecs (http://forum.bsplayer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   BS Player Crashes...no error.. (http://forum.bsplayer.com/showthread.php?t=6341)

amichael 24th April 2005 09:13 PM

BS Player Crashes...no error..

Every time I try and open this movie file (an xvid with subtitle file in the same folder, same name) it crashes with no error.

When I rename the file it plays fine so it obviously does not like the subtitles file (*.sub and *.idx) as it tries to load it automatically.

If I try and open the sub titles file from within the movie - they simply do not appear i.e does not load the subs file.

I am using BS Player V1.22 build 817. I have Dire3ctVobSub V2.23,DIVX 5.2.1 and Moonlight MPEG-2 Decoder pack 2.1.4316.

I also have another XVID movie file with subs file and they work fine even though the bs player control panel does not name the substitle file it's using.
When I check out the problem xvid file in GSPOT it says the codec file for the movie is not installed, but then again it says that of most of the other movie files, but they at least work.

One last point to add is upon enetring gspot, before giving it the movie file it sattes that I have 46 video codecs loaded and 28 audio codes. er ? what ? Is there a program that will list what all these are or how do I remove them all and reinstall from scratch ?

To take this problem to a further level....weird level I have actually managed to play the problem xvid file and it's substitles without a hitch on about 3 occasions, but can never erplicate my steps to get it working all the time. Once just by opening a number of other avi/xvid files and then opening the problem one went without a hitch. When I stopped it and tried again I was back to square one. Another occasion by renaming the problem file, playing it, stopping it and renaming it back it then worked fine with the subs automatically - BUT when stopping it and trying it for the second time it crash out again.

If it sounds confusing that's beacuse it is ! I don't know what else to try or do.

amichael 24th April 2005 09:18 PM

As soon as I posted the above message I double clicked on the xvid file and it worked fine again with subs automatically. I stopped it and tried again and it crashed , but this time I have an error message...
Access violation at address 00401EB7 in module bsplayer.exe. write address 0115EE98.

BSPeter 24th April 2005 09:52 PM

Re: BS Player Crashes...no error..

Quote:

Originally Posted by amichael
If I try and open the sub titles file from within the movie - they simply do not appear i.e does not load the subs file.

BSPlayer isn't displaying the (graphical) subs you're referring to; most probably DVobSub does (as you mention DVobSub in your post).
:wink: (See item (9) of my Help2Help-post)

amichael 24th April 2005 11:24 PM

OK. So are you saying DirectVobSub is crashing bsplayer when I try to play this video file ? Therefore it's not a problem with bsplayer !

BSPeter 25th April 2005 12:35 AM

Hmmmm, now where did I write that? :?
Is the box "Allow intermediate filters" checked (selected) under
(rightclick >) Options > Preferences > Filter management (General) ?
(While you're there, look a bit around concerning the options under filter management)
:wink:
P.S.: What codec/filter does BSPlayer actually use for playback? (See paragraph towards the end of item (4) of my Help2Help-post.)

amichael 25th April 2005 11:58 AM

Sorry, I thought you were inferring that it was DirectVobSub and to be truthfull it does kinda sound like that i.e the avi file plays fine without the subs and fails with the subs (which are being handled by DVobsub).

I have actually managed to play the avi file in Windows media player without a problem with subtitles appearing automatically, but BS player is crashing with the previous error posted and sometimes with no error at all- so it seems that BS Player is just not handling the subs side properly?

I have checked the box "Allow intermediate filters", but doesn't seem to have made a difference. Don't know what else to check in that section.

I have renamed the movie file just so that it will play and checked the codes as requested and this is what it says:
default directsound Device
EQ
Nero Video Decoder
Nero Digital Audio decoder
AVI splitter
Source