Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > Bug Reports And Codecs

Bug Reports And Codecs Report BS.Player bugs here - help us to improve BS.Player even further.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 14th February 2006
BS.player Regular User

test is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Final Issue with BSP and Haali Media Splitter

I have been following BSP's reports of being "more compliant" with the Haali Media Splitter over the last few builds. I am glad to say that it almost finally works completely.

However there is still one problem I found with playing Matroska (MKV) files that contain SRT subtitles, using Haali's Media Splitter and VSFilter. Any other Matroska files without SRT subtitles, for example using SSA/ASS or VobSubs will work perfectly fine. Strangely OGMs (which can also be parsed with Haali's Media Splitter now) which have SRT subtitles do not have this issue, it is only Matroska files with SRT subs. I submitted probably a dozen or so reports of all the MKV files I had with SRT subtitles when the error came up on playing, though that was quite awhile ago. I figured I would post on the matter if clarification would help at all.

It should be a simple problem to recreate, any MKV file as long as it has 1 SRT track. The only options I ticked in BSP were 'Disabled Subtitles' (in order to use VSFilter), turn on 'Overlay Mixer' as the video renderer just to work with a generally compliant one, as well as turn on 'Allow Intermediate Filters' (I noticed 'Enable advanced graph building' is on by default now and should also be on). Without the last two from the Filter Management tab BSP seems to have serious issues creating a filtergraph for most multi-stream files, and those with softsubs. Using this setup one should be able to play all OGMs, MKVs, MP4s, or AVIs no matter what streams are within (as long as one has the correct decoder of course) using Haali Media Splitter and VSFilter with BSP except for those MKVs with SRT subs. An error window will come up which will ask you to submit the error or continue. Strangely enough if you just continue you can play the file perfectly fine, including subtitles. So I am not quite sure why there is an error at all, but one does arise. These files would normally play with BSPs subtitle rendering however I prefer to use VSFilter since it can also play SSA/ASS subtitles which is unfortunately not supported by BSP yet.

I hope you will consider this an issue even though it disregards BSP's own subtitle rendering. It would be nice if you are not required to use BSP's own subtitle rendering and disabling it did not cause issues in thse files explicitly.
Old 18th February 2006
BS.player Regular User

Bleh, well I see the problem was still not addressed in build 829. Actually while writing this post I was making a Matroska sample file in case you needed one to verify the problem. I found that I made a large mistake the other day, it is the presence of a VobSub track not SRT (which totally explains why an OGM with an SRT has no problems, and also why the problem wasn't fixed already....it wasn't SRTs at all). So just replace SRT with VobSub :)

This sample I provide here is very simple. BlankClip video + an essentially blank vobsub, there is only 1 picsub. Nothing else in the file at all really, which will cause the "crash". The simple presence of the vobsub track, whether it is the default track or not, is what seems to cause it. The options I turned on/off are the same as the post above, used with Haali's Media Splitter and VSFilter. The only change because of my mistake is that VobSub options are also disabled.

Edit: Forgot to add link.

http://rapidshare.de/files/13580081/..._test.mkv.html
Old 19th February 2006
BS.Player Master

Tizio will become famous soon enough

I tried your sample file with the Haali Media Splitter and the file is played correctly and the All right, next! subtitle is shown without problems... Maybe because I didn't use the VobSub filter, but I used the BSplayer VobSub option.. I have to try with the VobSub filter, but not tonight..
Bye
Old 23rd February 2006
BS.player Regular User

Yes, as I mentioned it will work with BSP's subtitle renderer. It will cause that error report to come up when playing the file only with VSFilter. However if you click Continue, you can still play the file for some reason without issues. I am not sure why BSP comes up with an error. VSFilter is a compliant DShow filter and has been used for many years (under the name VobSub) during the days when BSP was under very early development. It is still used much nowadays in other Players which do not have a subtitle renderer. There should be no errors, but there are :(

Just to re-iterate, from a fresh install of BSP on default options the only things to change are:
Filter Management
'Allow intermediate filters' checked
'Enable advanced graph building' checked

Subtitles
'Subtitles disabled' checked
'Enable VobSub support' _un_checked
'Load subtitles into memory' _un_checked
Old 23rd February 2006
BS.Player Master

Tizio will become famous soon enough

Oops.. sorry, I forgot to test it with VSFilter.. :oops:
I hope to have time to try it, but I'm really busy these days, here on the forum and in the real life...
Old 23rd February 2006
BS.Player Newbie

spec74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by test
Yes, as I mentioned it will work with BSP's subtitle renderer. It will cause that error report to come up when playing the file only with VSFilter. However if you click Continue, you can still play the file for some reason without issues. I am not sure why BSP comes up with an error. VSFilter is a compliant DShow filter and has been used for many years (under the name VobSub) during the days when BSP was under very early development. It is still used much nowadays in other Players which do not have a subtitle renderer. There should be no errors, but there are :(

Just to re-iterate, from a fresh install of BSP on default options the only things to change are:
Filter Management

Subtitles
This worked... Thanks very much. I was pulling my hair with this mkv file subtitle problem
Old 1st March 2006
BS.player Regular User

I'd just like to mention that this has only been a recent problem too. With BSP build 820 everything worked perfectly fine with Haali's Media Splitter and VSFilter. All MKVs/OGMs/etc played. However when the "better support for haali media splitter" and "more compatible with Haali splitter" changes were being added they actually had less Haali support then before. I recall that MKVs with more then one audio stream totally did not work, different subtitles, and lots of other things. All up until the last two builds everything but VSFilter playing VobSubs seems to work properly. Please fix soon :)
Old 28th March 2006
BS.player Regular User

This is still a problem with version 1.4.1.832. Perhaps no one believes that BSP is broken when you try to play an MKV with vobsubs, or you just don't want to fix it. But no one has said anything so I'll explain it again.

From a completely clean default install of BSP 1.4.1 b832.
In the options make these changes.

Filter Management

Subtitles

Then play any file with VobSubs or this handy test file here, same one as before.

http://rapidshare.de/files/13580081/..._test.mkv.html

And I do mean any file with VobSubs. It does not even need to be the default track. The file simply needs to have one VobSub track and BSP will crash. This is a problem that was recently _created_ probably because VobSub "support" was added to BSP. If you go back a few versions to something as simple as 1.3.2 b820, BSP has no issues _whatsoever_ with either using Haali Media Splitter or VobSubs. I find it funny that how all versions after that point which were adding Haali "support" did not work at all for quite some time, and now the VobSub support also does not seem to fully work. Please make it work ;-;
Old 28th March 2006
BS.player Regular User

I made a quick movie with vmware of an essentially blank WinXP Guest OS. Nothing installed on it except for the basic windows updates, firefox, and an archiving utility.

I download everything necessary in the movie to simply play the file in BSP (well the OS is blank I needed to d/l them anyways) so it breaks, then play it in something as extremely simple as graphedit, and then in an older BSP. The reason the movie seems to go by so fast is because frames were dropped when nothing important was happening, just pause if you want to see something. Unfortunately it did evilly drop the frame when I opened the file in BSP and the dialog that asks if I want to send in the Error report or not popped up, you can see the mouse move up to click it, and come back down but you don't see the window. Otherwise this shows clearly there is an issue with BSP and attempting to turn off VobSubs.

http://rapidshare.de/files/16624137/...roken.avi.html

To play the video you do need one small codec.
http://www.vmware.com/download/eula/...coder_v55.html

And no you don't have to worry about it interfering with anything at all! All it does is play these files captured with the VMWare codec, which is not related to any other codec. Please enjoy the movie.
Old 31st March 2006
BS.player Regular User

Further update, it seems that perhaps the presence of VSFilter in the graph is not really what is causing the crashes. Just that BSP is unable to turn off it's VobSubs feature in a file with VobSubs. At least it still crashes in the same manner when you play the file without VSFilter registered. Though it could be crashing at that point because of an incomplete graph. Shouldn't have the option to turn off VobSubs if it doesn't actually work n_n
Old 13th June 2018
BS.player Regular User

CubicDesign is on a distinguished road

I have manually installed Haalli ( https://haali.su/mkv ) and now BSPlayer works.

Bye

Tags
final, haali, issue, media