Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > Bug Reports And Codecs

Bug Reports And Codecs Report BS.Player bugs here - help us to improve BS.Player even further.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 21st January 2003
BS.Player Newbie

shaun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fullscreen mode switch bug

Hi

Im using the latest BSPlayer, and I think there may be a bug when it switches back to windowed mode, from fullscreen.

I'm using 720x576x32 60Hz for the Fullscreen mode, and it switches to it just fine. (This mode is available in nvidias 41.09 drivers). I use this res, because it stretches out on my TV overscanned, using the CH7007 chip on my Geforce 2. I'm using Cloned mode with nvidia's drivers.

Anyway, when I switch back to windowed mode, BSPlayer is not resetting the refresh of what I had before on my monitor. Which is 1024 x 768 75Hz. It's actually switching back to 1024 x 768 60 Hz. So everytime after I play something fullscreen with BSPlayer, I have to go and reset the refresh in the drivers.

Using Abit Siluro T400 (Geforce 2 MX 400).
nVidia.com's 41.09 drivers.

Can anyone else replicate this?
Old 21st January 2003
BS.Player Power User

bluedan is an unknown quantity at this point

It got nothing to do with bsplayer.
With refresh rate set to "optimal" under display properties page it should normally raise the rate to 75Hz or whatever if a programme or game had used a lower possible refresh rate before.
But this is a bug in XP.
Use almighty google to search for NVIDIA refresh rate fix.
There are multiple flavours of such programmes for this case out there...#

BTW, as I don't have a TV set connected, aside of the low res: 60Hz because of TV refresh rate, right?
Old 22nd January 2003
BS.Player Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedan
It got nothing to do with bsplayer.
With refresh rate set to "optimal" under display properties page it should normally raise the rate to 75Hz or whatever if a programme or game had [/b]
Of course it has to do with BSPlayer.

I expect it to return the desktop screen mode to what it is before switching to fullscreen mode, which is 1024 at 75Hz.

Just because I select a 60Hz screen for it to switch to when doing fullscreen, doesnt mean it should keep it that way afterwards. Its switching the res back ok, just not the refresh.

Also, theres no such thing as 'Optimal' in Windows 2000/XP, do you even use XP?

I know games etc usually pick default of 60Hz, but when they return to the desktop when quitting they dont leave the desktop at 60hz too, they return in back to how it was.
Old 23rd January 2003
BS.Player Power User

Well, OK. Then it's my fault with optimal setting for refresh.
But if your games return to original 75Hz when setting back desktop adjustments, they take advantage of a hack!
Believe me: I remember very well people complaining that SP1 for XP does not solve the refresh rate bug!
So if bsplayer returns from your custom fullscreen mode (which I didN#t find in the presets), I suppose it tells XP to switch back to 75Hz, but it doesn't.
I think it still needs a workaround.
Old 23rd January 2003
BS.Player Newbie

BSplayerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

bluedan you are right ...

I have ATI Radeon 7500 with TV out and Windows XP SP1 ...
I have the same proble ... the refresh rate does not turn back ...

On my desktop computmer I use resolution 1600x1200 @85Hz ... when switching to full screen (1024x768 @??Hz, BTW Why the same resolution is listed 5 times in the drop list and why there are no refresh rate numbers beside resolution numbers ?) it seems to be working OK but when I switch back from full screen the resolution turns back to 1600x1200 but NOT the refresh rate. The refresh rate always stays at 60Hz !!!

Waiting for more info on this ..

Regards
Old 23rd January 2003
BS.Player Power User

Quick google search: http://www.xp-refresh.net/ about the refresh bug.
And this one for d/l: http://www.3dcenter.de/downloads/w2k...h-rate-fix.php or better this one http://www.pc-extreme.de/downloads/tools/index1.htm

Very easy!
And for the different fullscreen resolution presets: If you've had a closer look, Bsplayernewbie, you'd seen that there's alway a third number listed in the quadruplet of numbers: 8,16 or 32 and it stands for the color depth.
And the fourth number IS the refresh rate with the unit Hz (Hertz).
So, these are all different presets!

Why are people so lame?
Both of you could have find it out yourself easily...
It took me more time to write this than to search for!
Old 24th January 2003
BS.Player Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedan
Quick google search: http://www.xp-refresh.net/ about the refresh bug.
And this one for d/l: http://www.3dcenter.de/downloads/w2k...h-rate-fix.php or better this one http://www.pc-extreme.de/downloads/tools/index1.htm

Why are people so lame?
Both of you could have find it out yourself easily...
It took me more time to write this than to search for!
Are you f*ing kidding me?? You have no idea what I'm even talking about. I'm sick and tired of these so-called expert wannabe's answering peoples questions, yet they have no understanding or grasp whats going on themselves.

If I have my Windows XP desktop in 1024 x 768 75Hz refresh, then I go and play a game that sets itself to a fullscreen 60Hz mode, when I quit this game it will ALWAYS return back to the desktop as it was before. 1024 x 768 75Hz. I do not use any damn hacks, or refresh utilities to do this, this is just how it should be and always is. If the setting in the Windows Display monitor tab is set to 75Hz, it should stay there.

Same goes for fullscreen mode in BSPlayer, if I return out of fullsreen mode I expect that it returns the desktop back to how it was. Like i've said before, my posts are not hard to understand. You are the one that's sounding lame here.
Old 24th January 2003
BS.Player Power User

Hey, stop flaming. It was a shitty day yesterday.
Took this
Quote:
Now, since Windows XP and XP SP1 only use static refresh rate values instead of the "Optimal" setting in "Display Properties," every time you switch resolutions in XP, you have to manually change your refresh rate setting to the highest available in order to get the best display quality possible on the Windows desktop. Plus, XP will only remember your previous refresh rate when switching resolutions, and it won't permanently remember your refresh rate settings you have set in "Display Properties" when you change your resolutions various times. So for example, if you are running at 1024x768 with a refresh rate of 100 Hz, and you change your resolution to 1600x1200 to quickly view a large photo, and your computer can only handle 60 Hz, XP will adjust your refresh rate setting to 60 Hz accordingly. But when you switch back to 1204x768, will it go back to the 100 Hz setting you had before? Nope, it will still leave your refresh rate setting at 60 Hz because that's the last setting that was used, and that's all that XP can remember.
from here: http://www.xp-refresh.net/
So, sounds to me as if bsplayer is merely telling XP to switch back to desktop, and according to the above... XP will keep the 60 Hz.
If you investigate further into the article (2nd paragraph) you'll find something about DirectX gaming, where the situation is slightly different, although I don't know why because bsplayer is using DirectX as well.
Satisfied, Shaun?

Tags
fullscreen, mode, switch