Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > Bug Reports And Codecs

Bug Reports And Codecs Report BS.Player bugs here - help us to improve BS.Player even further.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 3rd September 2009
BS.player Regular User

zmth is on a distinguished road
Default codec problem - annoying presume

I installed bs player on my win98 computer and most all work ok except for flv files. NOw why does it automatically go to internet ? Why would it assume one is connected to the internet ? That is a very BAD assumption as i can download the files from another place and put them on my computer as i did and let it use the ones i have stored but it won't even ask where to search . It does not even say the name of the codec it is missing !!
Is there an older version that does not have this most annoying presumptuous behavior?
Old 3rd September 2009
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

If the codecs are installed, BSPlayer recognises them automatically. It doesn't ask for the codecs you have allready installed.
If you just downloaded the codecs, that doesn't mean they are installed. I asume you did that in the first place.
Old 4th September 2009
BS.player Regular User

Default RE adicoto's post ' ...f the codecs are installed, BSPlayer recognises ...'

I don't know exactly what you mean by 'installed ' but ffdshow put a lot of files with .dll extension some .ax and others . Anyway since in win98 most or all files with .dll
are in windows/system so i even made a copy and put them in that directory also and bsplayer still said could not find codec . There should not be any necessary install as one would think bsplayer installation would know how to look everywhere on the hardrive esp in the default locations.

I do see now ffdshow put in a program dialog which has choices 'Audio filter config.',' Configuration ', Raw-only filter config.','VFW Configuration ' which when i bring them up i see i guess what are check boxes which are all unchecked and different things to select etc. I did nothing with these as should not need them at all i would presume and would not have a clue as to what choices to make anyway. And if bsplayer needed to it could do this itself. I would think all that should be necessary is to have the needed codec .dll files in windows/system ?
Old 5th September 2009
BS.Player Newbie

Cabledog is on a distinguished road

I know when I installed BS i had to connected to internet to download the need files. After that was done I have had no problem with the player playing FLV files. I am on XP, but that shouldnt make a difference. You might want to connect to internet uninstall player then reinstall while connected and see if that fixes the problem.
Old 5th September 2009
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

@zmth:
simply saving programfiles or codecs just somewhere on your system, doesn't mean that the OS (and/or BS.Player for that matter) registers that. Programfiles or codecs or filters etc. should be installed/registered for the OS and applications to know where to find them. Depending on the number of storage devices you use (and e.g. also the size of your HDDs) it could take quite a long time to scan for a particular file anywhere you might have saved it. An exception is valid for the codecs/filters which BS.Player('s codec-manager) itself stored "internally" (as BS.Player would - of course - know where it put those codecs/filers). Therefore external filters should be known to the OS (by registering/installing them) so that the OS can inform applications the presence and whereabouts of such codecs/filters.
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 5th September 2009
BS.player Regular User

Default exactly what have to install in order for win98 to play flv

Most all other file types as far as i can tell work properly EXCEpt for flv files. They do work on the winxp computer connected to internet for all types including flv but not on the win98 not connected to internet. So exactly what does one have to install extra to get the flv part working ? Or are there any older versions which readily install on win98 which play flv files and don't automatically try to go to internet and perhaps list exactly what is missing?
Old 6th September 2009
BS.Player Newbie

Cabledog is on a distinguished road

Have you tried to uninstall BS player. Connect to internet, reinstall BS player? If not try that and see what happens. I dont see any reason not to try that before anything else.
Old 6th September 2009
BS.player Regular User

Default reply to cable dog

The win98 computer cannot be hooked to internet. The only internet connection is to a winxp laptop so am limited to transferring files downloaded from it via a usb mini attache.
Old 6th September 2009
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

Frequently asked questions - BS.Player wiki
http://forum.bsplayer.com/bug-report....html#post8355
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!

Tags
annoying, codec, internet, presume