Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > Feature Requests, Feedback And Suggestions

Feature Requests, Feedback And Suggestions Post your suggestions and feature requests here, what would you like to use in BS.Player. Any feedback is appreciated and will be reviewed by our team.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 9th September 2003
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road
Default Automatically sdjust subtitles if line too long.

Is there any chance to add the feature to modify the subtitle length or font size if line is too long in a next version ? Sometimes, subtitle line is too long and bsplayer is displaying the begining of the line at the end and you can't see it properly.
Old 9th September 2003
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

I think that will be a rather difficult, if not for all practical purposes impossible, feature to accomplish.
Of course there is already the possibility to change fontsize by hand, but that is not what you mean I'm sure. You wish an automatic font-resizing or splitting of subtitle-lines.
Now, as every user is free to select what type of regular "standard" or odd and exceptional font (s)he wishes to use to display subtitles, or what size and/or weight of font ... and as most fonts are not "monospace" (even if no "kerning" is used), I can imagine it will take quite some arithmatic to figure this out for a full screen display (at different resolutions?), let alone if the movie is displayed in a freely resizable window!
In my opinion subtitles (which really are standard-procedure in my country!!) should themselves not be too long and in principle consist of one or two lines only (BSPlayer can show 3 lines).
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 10th September 2003
BS.Player Newbie

edv is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not difficult at all to ask Windows (via API calls) what dimensions a particular string will occupy if drawn with a given font (family, name, point size, and other attributes). GetTextExtentPoint32() will do this for any given string.
Old 10th September 2003
BS.Player Master

OK OK OK OK OK please don't shoot me !!
Yet it w(c)ould imply additional CPU load I think, so - if implemented - I would (for all practical purposes) opt for a choice to switch it off. :?
(I make sure my subtitles aren't too long anyhow!)
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 17th September 2003
BS.Player Newbie

Crack_man is an unknown quantity at this point

that is the reason why I used VobSub to show my subtitles instead of the one option in BSPlayer cause in VobSub it will automatic split the subtitles if there is too much text in it, but only thing I doesnt like with VobSub is that I have to change the settings all the time when watching a movies with different aspect ratios to make the subtitle be visible under the black border.

So that would be great if BSPlayer too could split the subtitles automatic if they were too long.
Old 17th September 2003
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

Yes, options to split the line will be better than reducing font size. Hope that BST will do that.
Old 22nd September 2003
BS.Player Newbie

eXis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default .

yep I love BSPlayer, but without subtitles splitting option BSPlayer is so pure
you must add this feature bst .... you must ..... ( please ! :) )
greetz
Old 24th September 2003
BS.Player Newbie

eXis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default About forthcoming BSPlayer 1.0 !

one more suggestion:
BSPlayer 1.0 cannot be released without this option !
Without this option it will be BSPLayer 0.86 build 999 :)
bst please add this or I will cry and I will change my favorite player to other
Greetz
Old 24th September 2003
BS.Player Master

Just to let you know: I'm just a fellow-user (and translator) of BSPlayer.
BSPlayer's creator is bst :!:
Old 24th September 2003
BS.Player Power User

trodas is an unknown quantity at this point

I would suggest just to fix the subtitles

Im very conservative person, indeed.
Old 25th September 2003
BS.Player Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by trodas
I fully second that suggestion :!:
Old 17th October 2003
BS.Player Newbie

forest is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, yes, yes! Please make bsplayer add line breaks if the subtitles are too long to fit the screen. I can't tell you what a pain it is to be playing a movie for friends, and in the middle of the film, have subtitles appear all jumbled on top of themselves because bsplayer doesn't know how to handle long lines.

I don't expect or want it to change the font size; just make it insert a line break when necessary, as every other half-intelligent text handling program does.

Quote:
Now, as every user is free to select what type of regular "standard" or odd and exceptional font (s)he wishes to use to display subtitles, or what size and/or weight of font ... and as most fonts are not "monospace" (even if no "kerning" is used), I can imagine it will take quite some arithmatic to figure this out for a full screen display (at different resolutions?), let alone if the movie is displayed in a freely resizable window!
Nonsense. As edv pointed out, text dimensions are readily available from Windows. It's totally simple to program such calculations.

Quote:
Yet it w(c)ould imply additional CPU load I think
Not any amount that you would notice. Compared to the CPU time used for decoding video (or even audio) a simple text size calculation like that would increase the load by less than 0.1%.

Quote:
that is the reason why I used VobSub
Yeah, but using vobsub for this is an ugly kludge. BSPlayer already handles subtitles natively, and it does so well in most respects. This small change would be so very elegant. (I was actually rather surprised when I discovered that it doesn't break long lines already.)

Quote:
Are you kidding? I *really* don't want to tell my guests to watch me mess around with a text editor when we discover the problem in the middle of watching a movie. Also, what about video that's being played from a CD? Am I supposed to hand edit the subtitles and burn a new CD copy every time I run into long lines of text? Even if I wanted to be so wasteful, the edited text might still not be right for playing on someone else's system, with a different font or screen size. No, line breaks should definitely be calculated dynamically, as needed. Trying to figure out the best way to hand edit a subtitle file to fit all displays is inaccurate and basically a pain in the neck. I've already done it too many times.
Old 13th November 2003
BS.Player Newbie

RainyShadow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default About the CPU load

Line breaking could be done when loading subtitles and then cached in RAM
( i don't know if BSplayer currently loads the whole file or not)
Also when changing the font and other subtitle settings.
This way it won't use the CPU while playing
:)
Old 22nd November 2003
BS.player Regular User

KHysiek is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah please add this (either way) but I think that auto font resizing could be better, cpu overhead would be small comparing to rendering of video and audio. MV2 can do this why not BSPlayer.
Old 22nd November 2003
BS.Player Master

Hello KHysiek
If you're using latest build (800) please have a look at subtitle-settings under Options/Preferences. There you can select "Auto resize font if line is too long".

Tags
automatically, line, long, sdjust, subtitles