Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > Feature Requests, Feedback And Suggestions

Feature Requests, Feedback And Suggestions Post your suggestions and feature requests here, what would you like to use in BS.Player. Any feedback is appreciated and will be reviewed by our team.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 29th December 2003
BS.Player Newbie

MaxHill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default dsound vs waveout regarding problem with 48kHz on ISA cards

Please it would be really handy to make in BS ability to choose output mixer either dsound or waveout due to the problem described below, thanks a lot.

Problem:

Well this is not a bug of BSPlayer but rather of DirectX (it occurs also in WM Player because it also uses directsound) but I couldn't find anything about it (DirectX) on the Web.

The thing is that when I playback any 48kHz audio Mp3 or Ac3 (DD) I mean mainly as a part of the movies then the sound on a ISA card (in my case SB16PnP) is noisy with static (better description maybe distorted) and this really pisses me of.

I found a few things about it:

Reagarding Mp3 files when I set output frequency in the filter to half (playing 24kHz) (which cannot be done anymore in the 1.?? version of BS by the way because filter properties are inaccesible) the sound is perfect.
Bad thing is that this cannot be done with Ac3 filter.

And I found the source of this problem using WinAmp when I play 48kHz using directsound output the sound is as bad as before (playing at 48kHz) but if I use waveout as output the sound is perfect.

So this must must be DirecX issue that I was unable to solve.

Selecting "Output device" under "Audio" in "Options"/"Preferences" doesn't help dsound is crappy and the other (non dsound) is playing at half speed (Ac3).

I will also put this in "Bug reports" to be sure.
Old 29th December 2003
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road
Default Re: dsound vs waveout regarding problem with 48kHz on ISA ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHill
(.... in the 1.?? version of BS ... filter properties are inaccesible.)
If you have a movie with AC3 sound and use AC3 filter: AC3filter's properties can be reached through [Start] > "Programs" > "AC3filter" > "AC3filter Config", but also via BSPlayer's "Options" > "Filters" (etc). So all filter properties still are accessible via BSPlayer (only the route has changed a bit)!!

Further, what version of DirectX are you using?

P.S.:
I removed your identical post from Bug reports: Don't double-post please!
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 29th December 2003
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

Have you tryied options, preferences, audio, selecting output device ?
Old 29th December 2003
BS.Player Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by adicoto
Have you tryied options, preferences, audio, selecting output device ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHill earlier
Selecting "Output device" under "Audio" in "Options"/"Preferences" doesn't help dsound is crappy and the other (non dsound) is playing at half speed (Ac3).
:?
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 29th December 2003
BS.Player Master

Yes, you are right, I wasn't paying enough atention. But I have 4 compatible audio devices in audio. One of them is waveout device. Maybe this device can help with older cards.
Old 29th December 2003
BS.Player Master

I've got an even longer list, but I suppose "wave-out" was also on MaxHill's list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHill
.... if I use waveout as output the sound is perfect.
Old 29th December 2003
BS.Player Master

He was refering to winamp.
My list also has modems, cyber link devices and so. But only 5 of them are hardware related.
Old 6th January 2004
BS.Player Newbie

MaxHill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sorry for the delay

Some more info: I have DirectX 8.1 but I have tried all of them from 6 to 9.0b an it is the same on all versions.

Selecting waveout device didn't help Ac3 movies plays at half the speed audio and video too and you cannot do anything with it I have tried even the speed setting but it does nothing (i can still hear some noise in the audio even when it is played at half the speed [slow]).

And waveout device with mp3 audio streams is still noisy (no change).
The speed is correct though.

I just remind you and thanx for help so far that this problems occurs only when it comes to 48kHz everything from 44.1 and lower is perfect on dsound and waveout too.

__________________________________________________ ___________

I've been thinking, is there any possibilty to use WinAmp's OUT plugins with BSPlayer or if anyone knows about some WinAmp DSP plugin which does downsampling (like 48kHz -> 44kHz, 48kHz -> 22kHz etc.) please let me know.

Heck, I've even tried the newest drivers for my soundcard from Creative (but they are from 1998) with no succes, 48kHz still sucks under DirectX's DirectSound.

Tags
48khz, dsound, isa, waveout