Official BS.Player forums

Official BS.Player forums (http://forum.bsplayer.com/index.php)
-   General Talk And Support (http://forum.bsplayer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   getting subs on my film.. using BSplayer (http://forum.bsplayer.com/showthread.php?t=1436)

munken 12th April 2003 11:45 PM

getting subs on my film.. using BSplayer

was wondering if anyone could tell me how I get sybs on my film..

I am using Bsplayer and yeasterday used subs on one of my films. HERO. With that film I could just load the subs with Bsplayer as the subs was .srt.. but now I wanted to display subs on my 8mile.. but here its not .srt but .sub, so I cant get them displayed.. (I know the subs and film have to be in the same folder) please help..

read a bit here in the Forum and know think I have to use vobsub, which I have downloaded then.. but is this right and if it is how do I use it??

thanx:)

thejutt 13th April 2003 11:55 AM

Make sure that the sub file is in the same dir as the movie file. Also that the name of the two files is exactly same!! For eg. if the movie is qwerty.avi then the subs should read qwerty.srt(or other extension depending on the format). If the sub file does not have the same name ( as is often the case) then open the player - open the movie file, right click for "load subtitle" option and then load the sub file. Then play the file - Hope this is of help! :)

bscd 13th April 2003 12:13 PM

...or make a .bsi file. Guide in bsplayer\doc folder.

Sonickydon 13th April 2003 09:42 PM

Normaly, bsplayer shouldn't have a problem with sub file format.. at least when i use it i don't notice vobsub loaded..
However , i have noticed that for some strange reason which i can't figure out ,sometimes,bsplayer does change the color properties of the fonts used.. (ok perhaps it wasn't bsplayers fault..but i never manualy changed the color properties anyway)..so check the player , if it says "subtitles : yes" on the main control window then it might be that the reason that you can't see the subtitles

Quietseb 14th April 2003 08:13 PM

the extension given to a file can be confusing... especially when there is no real convention

it's true that .sub can be vobsub files... but it can also be MicroDVD subtitles... or anything else in fact the extension does NOT decide how a file should be read, it gives hints but what one should really look at is what's INSIDE the file.
I mean, take one of your .srt file, rename it to .sub it won't change the way bslayer displays it.

@munken
if your .sub file was a vobsub file, it would be several Mo big
in order to use it, you need also a .idx file with the same name.
(the .sub contains the pictures of the subs, the .idx contains the timestamps)

if your .sub is only dozens of Ko big, then it may be microDVD subtitle format, which is usually correctly displayed by bsplayer as SonickyDon mentionned.

@SonnickyDon
microDVD subtitles format has tags that allow color control from the subtitle file. I believe bsplayer only follows what he's told to do by the subtitle file, it doesn't act on its own ;)