Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > General Talk And Support

General Talk And Support General talk and peer-to-peer support about BS.Player and other video and audio multimedia players.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 29th May 2013
BS.Player Newbie

timmy2 is on a distinguished road
Question Is it possible to jump ahead in a video using a keyboard shortcut?

No response from Support or this forum so I've switched to a different player.

Last edited by timmy2; 3rd June 2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old 13th June 2013
BS.player Regular User

Cela is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy2 View Post
... so I've switched to a different player.
Which one?

OK, there is no real F1 Help, no User's Guide!

For those who come here and also need to know:
1. >right mouseclick -> dropdown Options menu -> list of many options
..... > take 1st option in 2nd zone -> many play options
..... > 5th option in 2nd zone -> Chapters (if you have CHF chapters or a media file with already embedded OGM chapters)
..... > last option in 3rd zone -> settings (Ctrl+P) > General >General settings> right lower corner> seconds for jump preselection (10 is default)
... maybe even more options

2. >in Skin (depending on skin)

3. keyboard controls (i Have a German keyboard):
"." ... point (1st right of "m") back 10 sec (default can be changed, see above)
"," ... comma (2nd right of "m") forward 10 sec (default can be changed, see above)
Ctrl+C ... Chapters Viewer (if you have CHF or embedded chapters, see above)

space ... PAUSE

Ctrl+J ... Jump to time > enter time in format hh:mm:ss
... maybe more
Old 14th June 2013
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

In adition to that, some specifications:

- in genereal preferences you must uncheck "seek by keyframes" so when using "< and > " BSPlayer will jump those 10 seconds. If not, it wil jump to the next keyframe after 10 sec, which can be.....10 minutes...
- depending on codecs used to decode the video file, after pressing space (pause), using left and right arrow you can go frame by frame.
Old 14th June 2013
BS.player Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by adicoto View Post
- in genereal preferences you must uncheck "seek by keyframes" so when using "< and > " BSPlayer will jump those 10 seconds. If not, it wil jump to the next keyframe after 10 sec, which can be.....10 minutes...
- depending on codecs used to decode the video file, after pressing space (pause), using left and right arrow you can go frame by frame.
Hi adicoto,
here, again, you provide important undetected or overlooked specs! :)
You shoud collect your useful postings and publish as "BSplayer User's Guide"!

You directed my attention to "seek by keyframes", I must have overlooked it.
Edit: Can't find it in general preferences! Please tell more how to find it.

I also overlooked that

". and ," on my keyboard corresponds to
"< and >" which is definitely more intuitive.

From this, some general questions pop up concerning GUI language and keyboard language mapping:
I cannot change my hardware keyboard on the fly, neither the keys nor what is printed on each key.

Do you know if there is a windows software app, which would let select and visualize English, Russian, French, German, Nordic etc. keyboard layout? This would help to compare the physical layout with the layout of another language.

How can I change the mapping of my physical keyboard entries, what the computer gets when I type a key, again from German to English? (Change keyboard only, not 'system language')

Where can I select the GUI language and change it temporarily from German to English and back? ...
Edit: Found it!

Why am I asking? Temporarily changing GUI language and keyboard language mapping whould be very helpful for preparing english postings in a non-english working and windows environment.

Thanks in advance!
Have a nice weekend!

Last edited by Cela; 14th June 2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 14th June 2013
BS.Player Master

Depending on the operating system, in control panel -> keyboard, or regional settings, you can install all international keyboards. Afterwards, using ALT+SHIFT you can change on the fly keyboard layout.
Also, you can have a keyboard on the screen to see the differences:

Open On-Screen Keyboard by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking Ease of Access, and then clicking On-Screen Keyboard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg keyframes.jpg (124.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 18th June 2013
BS.player Regular User

Hi adicoto,
You ended long years spent looking for these options!
Thanks again!

Now, based on your important tips, a screenshot with the summary of our last posts:
(Upload reduced screenshot from original size 343 KB to size 148KB! But, to me, its message is readable.)
All necessary shortcuts are available regarding "jump ahead in video using keyboard shortcuts", all except one!

Execption:
Missing a "Ctrl+??? shortcut" for Chapters menu text list! §)
To me, this is much more important than the Ctrl+C Chapters Viewer icon menu! If it is because of a missing free letter, then I would rather take Ctrl+C for the Chapter menu text list!
-> Ctrl+??? shortcut FEATURE REQUEST (for Ico-man) <-

Chapter controls in skins:
Ctrl+Z | Ctrl+B <<PREV | NEXT>> ... available in some skins
* BSplayer.v1
* sachlichkeit2
* WMP_11_Skin_by_OmYcroN
(Are there more skins with chapter controls?)

Missing, skin controls equivalents for
Ctrl+J ... Jump to Time
Ctrl+??? ... Chapters menu text list §)
right click ... Options menu
-> Skin controls FEATURE REQUEST (for Ico-man) <-

Ctrl+J ... Jump to Time should be enhanced to obey the option "Show media time in milliseconds", i.e. hh:mm:ss.msf, if checked in General settings! It should get enabled for reading, modifying and COPY/PASTE of the time value.
-> FEATURE REQUEST (for Ico-man) <-

§) are my FRs regarding missing sdk items ???
in BSPlayer API v 1.2 (C:\Program Files\Webteh\BSplayerPro\sdk\bsp.h)
#define BSP_ViewChp 23 ... found (is it for Chapter Viewer icons menu ???),
an equivalent sdk item
#define BSP_ViewCHPTextMenu ... NOT found for Chapters text list menu !!!

Last edited by Cela; 18th June 2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 18th June 2013
BS.Player Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cela View Post
Ctrl+J ... Jump to Time should be enhanced to obey the option "Show media time in milliseconds", i.e. hh:mm:ss.msf, if checked in General settings! It should get enabled for reading, modifying and COPY/PASTE of the time value.
For example, an usual video file have 23.976 to 30 fps. 1 second divided by 25 fps means every frame it's drawn at 1/25 = 0.04 seconds. There is no milisecond to jump as you can't jump inside a frame. It's like, for example, calculating pH of a solution with 4 digits (by it's definition, matematically speaking, pH can have at most 3 digits). You can obtain a value, but there's nothing there.
Old 20th June 2013
BS.player Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by adicoto View Post
...You can obtain a value, but there's nothing there.
Really?
If I pause playing, then I see a specific frame, e.g. frame 4710 on the timeline. If I step 1 frame forward then I see the next frame, frame 4711. It may be entirely different than the previous frame and look much better as frame to represent the chapter. What should I write down to quickly come back to frame 4711? The frame number! But as time code? Both frames lie within the same second.
How should I tell BSplayer to jump to frame 4711 and not to frame 4710? It will need more precision than just the second! The DirectX filter, which BSplayer internally uses, will return (trim to the beginning of) frame 4711 as long as it gets a millisecond fraction which lies within the time span when the frame is shining on the timeline. It will know that BSplayer and I mean frame 4711.

I may be wrong, but most video players and video editors have either frame number or millisecond precision or both for adressing specific frames.

I would be happy if BSplayer also joined the club.
Old 20th June 2013
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

What happens if you type the frame-number in the appropriate box (at the right)?

Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 31st July 2013
BS.player Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSPeter View Post
What happens if you type the frame-number in the appropriate box (at the right)?...
An excellent idea! Thanks for your advice!
But:
Is it really such a big deal to enhance BSplayer's Ctrl+J time value box to Media Player Classic Ctrl+G level?
Is it really necessary in BSplayer to hijack Windows' Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V and force the user to delightful triple action for a simple Copy/Paste (right mouse button click, popup action focusing Copy or Paste, left mouse button clicking Copy or Paste)? Very delightful, indeed!
Is it really impossible to find a Ctrl+? character to directly jump to the chapter menu list?

I am not a programmer, but I guess, these matters do not belong to the really difficult software development tasks. So, what? Why need we talk about these peanuts? Why not simply deliver it in the next upgrade?

Imagine, you have some 30 time values as hh:mm:ss.msf chapter points of interest in your longer video files.
Imagine the awesome fun and pleasure to convert these 30+ time values to frame-numbers first so that you can enter the respective frame-numbers into the frame-number box.
Yes, this certainly will prevent overloading poor BSplayer Pro v2 and, as a bonus, provides some fine brain jogging for user's Brain v0.9beta.

Only n00bs prefer to simply copy/paste e.g. 00:03:08.440 directly into an appropriate time box instead of enjoying to delightfully convert the time value 00:03:08.440 first to frame number 4711 (25fps) and repeat this awarding experience other 30+ times for the other chapter time codes.

IMHO, BSplayer for Windows and for Android currently is an excellent player as far as _playing_ of _single_ media files (*.m2ts, *.mkv, *. mpv, etc.) is concerned.
But, the Android version does not even support BSplayer's own *.chf chapters (which BSplayer for Windows invented and supports since decades)!!!
The Windows version does not support compound BD and AVCHD (BDMV folders and files) structures! There are other players of comparably prizing which fully support BD/AVCHD (BDMV) folder structures. On my Android devices I do not care about BD/AVCHD strutures. I do not care for subtitles. But I care a lot for chapters and bookmarks! I will not be happy as long as chf-feature is missing in BSplayer for Android!

Regards!
Old 2nd August 2013
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

My reaction was only/exclusively concerning your remark:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cela View Post
...I may be wrong, but most video players and video editors have either frame number or millisecond precision or both for adressing specific frames.
I would be happy if BSplayer also joined the club.
as apparently BS.Player already seems to be a member of that club.
With respect to the remaining part: I think these rather are feature requests (which maybe better post as such).
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!

Tags
ahead, jump, keyboard, shortcut, video