Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > General Talk And Support

General Talk And Support General talk and peer-to-peer support about BS.Player and other video and audio multimedia players.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 13th July 2004
BS.Player Newbie

Berghutze is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vobsub / smi

Maybe someone can help.
If I load an AVI with BSPlayer and it finds a idx/vobsub in the same directory they are displayed via vubsub. Vobsub can display smi- subtitles as well (classic player works like this). so why doesn't this work for BSPlayer? I mean Vobsub is doing the job or am I getting something wrong?

Greetz
Berghutze
Old 13th July 2004
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

In as far as I know VobSub only displays graphics-based subtitles (bitmaps). [I'm not 100% sure as I don't use VobSub myself; so as you say it also displays .smi files it is quite possible that you're right and I'm wrong, so don't shoot me then ]
On the other hand BSPlayer supports natively text-based subtitles, like SubRip .srt-files and MicroDVD .sub-files. (You can see that these subtitles are text-based by opening them in e.g. Notepad).
sami or .smi is also text based but not currently supported by BSPlayer.
A .smi file can however, very easy be converted to e.g. a .srt file.
Have a look at this post and perhaps also this one.
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 13th July 2004
BS.Player Newbie

Berghutze is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your answer but the point is: it's very easy to convert srt files but the smi file handles overlapping subtitles (you see mor than one at a time at different places on the screen). Converting means loosing those informatations meaning you see subtitles in "lightspeed".
I know that BSPlayer itself only handels textbased subs but if there are any vobsubs (definitly not textbased) vobsubfilter starts to display them. So the question is: why doesn`t vobsub start when there is a smi? It works fine in classic player but I prefer BSPlayer.....

Greetz
Berghutze

P.S. I don't wanna shoot you

Tags
smi, vobsub