Official BS.Player forums

Official BS.Player forums (http://forum.bsplayer.com/index.php)
-   General Talk And Support (http://forum.bsplayer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   BS Player Error (http://forum.bsplayer.com/showthread.php?t=8340)

sgc 7th May 2007 06:19 PM

BS Player Error

Anyone come across the error shown below. BS Player plays the file OK, but every time I close the application down this error occurs

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...layerError.jpg [/img]

adicoto 7th May 2007 07:03 PM

Usually this occurs with older XviD builds. If so, please update.

sgc 7th May 2007 07:43 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I have Xvid V1.1.2 installed, which I believe is the latest build

regards

adicoto 7th May 2007 07:46 PM

Can you post wich filters are used to decode the files played when this error occur ? And also wich version of BSPlayer are you using.

sgc 7th May 2007 07:59 PM

Hi,

I'm using the latest V2.21.950 of BS Player. The files I am playing are 350Mb .avi files which have been created using AutoGK when encoding standard video files.

AutoGK uses virtualdub, avisynth and DivX I think?

regards

Tizio 7th May 2007 08:11 PM

adicoto asked you the filters used to DEcode the video.
With the video playing in BSplayer, right-click -> Options -> Filters -> Advanced and tell us which filters are used ;)

adicoto 7th May 2007 08:13 PM

If you use AutoGK I think XviD is default as encoder.

sgc 7th May 2007 08:19 PM

Sorry, misunderstood, however interesting development, when I click on the filters tab nothing happens! then when I shut it down I get the same error message

adicoto 7th May 2007 08:33 PM

You must click on "filters" when a file is opened.

LE: try to re-register quartz.dll
http://bsplayer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15157#15157

BSPeter 7th May 2007 08:50 PM

Please try if this helps:
rename (or delete) BS.Player's preferences file "BSplayer.xml", which you can most problably find in C:\Documents and Settings\[yourname]Application Data\BSplayer\
(This was the "cure" for another user with similar problem.)
:wink:

adicoto 7th May 2007 09:01 PM

And what desease are we healing in here ?

BSPeter 7th May 2007 09:08 PM

Perhaps an .xml file with an attitude?

adicoto 7th May 2007 09:14 PM

Yes, but killing the patient to do an autopsy to find out what was the disease won't bring him back to life :D What could be faulty in the xml file ? The variables writen inside the file are generated by BSPlayer and at one point it makes a mistake. Where ? That is something we may find out. Why ? Probably the team will find this (if it knows where).

BSPeter 7th May 2007 09:24 PM

You mean the poster simply has wait till the real initial cause of the problem has been found? A lot of to-day's medicine concerns a cure based on a symptom. I'm simply suggesting to use a method which proved the solution for another user, with exactly the same problem. So what's your problem?

BSPeter 7th May 2007 09:27 PM

What's more ... no patient will be killed here. And there also is no autopsy. It also will not have to bring the patient back to life, because the patient never died!
BS.Player will not even hiccup; it will simply create a new preferences-file.

adicoto 7th May 2007 09:30 PM

My problem ? I think you are a little out of line in here.

I guess my problem is that I want to help BOTH parts.
If that's a problem for you, then I won't post in this topic any more.

sgc 7th May 2007 09:37 PM

Hi Guys,

First off, let me say thanks for your efforts to date. With respect to the most recent replies:

1. Re-REgistering quartz.dll did not work
2. Renamed the xml file, unfortunately no joy either

Got the filters option working when playing a file, see below:

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...yerFilters.jpg

Which setting is that I should be looking at?

Thanks again

BSPeter 7th May 2007 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adicoto
My problem ? I think you are a little out of line in here.

I guess my problem is that I want to help BOTH parts.
If that's a problem for you, then I won't post in this topic any more.

????
:?

BSPeter 7th May 2007 10:58 PM

@sgc: Just a wild idea: what skin are you using?

Tizio 7th May 2007 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSPeter
What's more ... no patient will be killed here. And there also is no autopsy. It also will not have to bring the patient back to life, because the patient never died!
BS.Player will not even hiccup; it will simply create a new preferences-file.

It's more like cutting the tail from a lizard :lol:
Then it will regenerate it :P

Anyway many times renaming the settings file do the trick (for many different problems)
And also skins can produce strange behaviours :wink:

Anyway sgc you are actually using DivX codec to decode the video, but the version used is the best one (IMHO)

BSPeter 7th May 2007 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tizio
Anyway sgc you are actually using DivX codec to decode the video, but the version used is the best one (IMHO)

It the very same version as I (continued to) use.

adicoto 7th May 2007 11:24 PM

No, it's not the best if he encodes in XviD with some advanced profile and let DivX decode it. As a suggestion (I personally don't use it) you can install FFDShow and let it decode all MPEG4. See if the error persists.

Tizio 7th May 2007 11:25 PM

The best one in DivX series ;)

adicoto 7th May 2007 11:29 PM

Probably this is why 5.21 is the one that come with all later decoding packs from DivX. They stick to it even now, 2 years after the build was released.

sgc 8th May 2007 06:18 AM

In terms of skins, I am currently using the base skin, but the problem has also appeared in other skins, so it does not appear to be skin dependent

BSPeter 8th May 2007 10:22 AM

Could you please let us know which check-boxes are selected in your installation under (rightclick >) Options > Preferences > ....
.... General > [General settings]
respectively under
.... Video > [General]
(For the first "screen" e.g. just assume the top box to be nr 1 and the bottom nr 16
and for the second assume the top box to be nr 1 and the bottom nr 10)

P.S.:
If you just open the player and then close it (without having done anything) is the error-report also produced?

sgc 8th May 2007 04:32 PM

See attached screen dumps

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u.../BSPlayer1.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u.../BSPlayer2.jpg

with respect to trying the player on its own without playing a file, a curious result. I can open and close without any problem, as soon as I play a file it crashes on close, when I then open and close again after this it crashes

adicoto 8th May 2007 04:57 PM

Quote:

No, it's not the best if he encodes in XviD with some advanced profile and let DivX decode it. As a suggestion (I personally don't use it) you can install FFDShow and let it decode all MPEG4. See if the error persists.

Any result on this ?

BSPeter 8th May 2007 05:06 PM

I can't help continue thinking that there is something wrong with your settings-file as the error occurs only after a file is played. (Or with your rights under Windows for the folder concerned). BS.Player has a number of "remember"-items (sometimes to be switched off by a "don't remember"-option), which are most likely stored on exit.
But I've noticed your version is a "PRO"-version, so - assuming it is a "legal" version - you are entitled to direct support by BS.Player-team.
In this connection I would advise you to contact them through the contact form: http://www.bsplayer.com/en/contact_us/
(Alternatively you can send them an e-mail at customer.support@bsplayer.com )

sgc 8th May 2007 05:18 PM

It is a "legal" version and I did send an email to the contact us asking who to contact regarding support issues but I have had no response

BSPeter 8th May 2007 05:19 PM

I will draw their attention to this thread.

adicoto 8th May 2007 05:22 PM

Could this be related to the way it acces the decoder and the way it closes this connection ? If you have XviD installed, open it's configuration panel, enable playback for DivX and DX50 and the try to play a file (see in filters page what decoder it's used) and tell us if it's XviD and if the error persist.

BSPeter 8th May 2007 05:26 PM

@sgc: I meanwhile sent a message to BSPlayer-team.
@adicoto: He uses DivX for playback (like me)
@sgc: If you like to install XviD and try as suggested by adicoto, please deselect "Support Generic Mpeg-4" in DivX codec:
[Start] > "Programs" > "DivX" > "DivX codec" > "Decoder configuration Utility"
(alternatively you can also go through BS.Player's "Filters" > "Advanced")

adicoto 8th May 2007 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSPeter
@sgc: I meanwhile sent a message to BSPlayer-team.
@adicoto: He uses DivX for playback (like me)

I know he uses, that's why I want to change it, either to ffdshow, either to XviD. I've seen many times this error just because of that DivX decoder. He also have XviD installed, like posted before, latest stable version.

BSPeter 8th May 2007 05:33 PM

I understood that already and was editing my post as I had forgotten to add what to do with DivX-settings if he would follow your suggestions.

adicoto 8th May 2007 05:37 PM

We manage somehow to interlace our posts :D When I read your post and start replying, you do the same with mine. For now, I stop and wait for a response from sgc, and after that, depending on his answer, I will continue.

BSPeter 8th May 2007 05:47 PM

:lol:

sgc 8th May 2007 05:54 PM

Thanks again for all the advice, I am having a hard time trying to keep track of it all. I installed FFDshow, but no difference, unless there are some specific settings I need to adjust.

Also deselected "Support Generic Mpeg-4, but to avail

Considering how well BS Player worked in my last PC, this is a real mystery as I am not running any different software, do you think it might be a hardware problem? This PC differs from last regarding no. of cores on the CPU, sli graphics cards and sata hard drives

Thanks

adicoto 8th May 2007 07:49 PM

I don't think it' hardware related. But are you sure that XviD decoder was the filter used ?

Tizio 8th May 2007 07:52 PM

Quote:

I don't think it' hardware related. But are you sure that XviD decoder was the filter used ?

Yes, check in BSplayer filters list if it's used when playing your files (right-click -> Options -> Filters -> Advanced)

Otherwise you have to "force" it in BSplayer preferences :roll: