Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > General Talk And Support

General Talk And Support General talk and peer-to-peer support about BS.Player and other video and audio multimedia players.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 29th December 2007
BS.Player Power User

kimiraikkonen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bsplayer and HDD usage

Hi,
There is an issue which doesn't effect as problem but i want to know why.

For every file (avi,mpeg or any) and from eveylocation from harddrive, in 5-6 seconds HDD usage becomes excessive just for 1 or 2 seconds then HDD led goes to normal.

I have necessary IDE drivers installed, latest service packs, latest drivers, and HDD is on UDMA-5 mode which is so enough.

If you look at the chassis's HDD led, after you opening a video by double-clicking then in 5-6 seconds HDD LED becomes excessive for a short time.

Any confirmations are welcomed.
Old 29th December 2007
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

Most probably related to buffering. See this thread on buffer/process-priority settings.
(Another buffer-related thread.)
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 30th December 2007
BS.Player Power User

No buffering problem. However there's another issue since the first release of Bsplayer, think about famous Matrix series.

While the movie goes normal with artist talks or slight actions, CD-ROM activity is regular and reasonable, but while famous green codes of Matrix flowing through the screen CD-ROM performance greatly decrases, LED activity increases and movie slows down like that.

What may be the reason? I mean, device activity and activity LED changes from scene to scene.

I hope you remember green code flow of Matrix :D

Happy New Year :)
Old 30th December 2007
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by in his first post kimiraikkonen
...an issue which doesn't effect as problem but i want to know why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by in response BSPeter
Most probably related to buffering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimiraikkonen then
No buffering problem.
Sorry, I got the impression from your first post in this thread that you did not consider this 'phenomenon' to present a 'problem' but were only looking for a possible reason why. Therefore, in my reply I wasn't referring to any "buffering problem", but only to a possible reason why.

(With respect to what you observed watching Matrix-series, I would personally think in the very same direction: related to buffering).
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 30th December 2007
BS.Player Master

Tizio will become famous soon enough

Maybe in those scenes the frames are too much different between them and there are more key frame to decode, and so there are more MB to be transferred than in normal scenes?! Don't know.. but have you tried to increase the buffer length? How much RAM has your PC? I setted BSplayer to use 350MB for the buffer
Old 31st December 2007
BS.Player Power User

J7N is an unknown quantity at this point

A CD/DVD is not really a good playback medium, at least on Windows. The sustainable data rate of CD would be more than adequate. Yet when playing movies Windows makes the drive move the read head back and forth all the time.
Old 31st December 2007
BS.Player Power User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizio
Maybe in those scenes the frames are too much different between them and there are more key frame to decode, and so there are more MB to be transferred than in normal scenes?! Don't know.. but have you tried to increase the buffer length? How much RAM has your PC? I setted BSplayer to use 350MB for the buffer
768MB DDR ram and %50 is empty which means more than enough. However IIRC, Matrix issue didn't happen while reading from HDD, happened on CD but not all scenes, you can try some movies and see.

Some scenes need faster data transfer, that's why i needed to point out that issue.

Tags
hdd, usage