Subtitles Post question about BS.Player and subtitles (srt sub ssa mkv) here

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 20th April 2010
BS.Player Newbie

eodeo is on a distinguished road
Unhappy [FIXED] bs player bug - subtitles no longer being auto-found online

Hi all,

short:

bs player all versions since i switched to vista 64 and now win 7 64 (over 2 years ago) would after a random number of days/weeks working properly decide to stop finding subtitles.
No its not internet connection, and no I havent installed any new software to cause this. Bs player just randomly decides to not find subtitles even for the movies it previously could find. I upgraded bs player many times and new versions havent fixed it yet. Normally (many) uninstall(s) and random version install(s) would fix it, but not any more.

long:

First- bs player is absolutely the best player out there by far. I love that it stops movie on click, autoloads subtitles and allows you to easily navigate through movie using the mouse back/forward buttons. Also movie mode is great on my 16:10 screen for viewing 16:9 content with subtitles below the movie.

If you read above carefully you'd notice I used "subtitles" alot. Sadly this is the feature that is most flimsy in bs player. I have been using it for past 2 years in vista/win7 and every so often - once in a blue moon - bs player would stop finding subtitles. It would appear as if searching, but would find nothing. At first I thought it could be the connection or whatever, but its not. Its bs player alone. It would inexplicably decide not to find any more subtitles for any of my movies, even the ones it used to be able to find. Only workaround until now was to uninstall bs and install a different version. New version have done nothing to fix this. I would have to install/uninstall many times and hope each time that it would fix itself. Until today, this worked for 10+ times in past 2 years. Now it just wont fix itself so I'm finally desperate enough to try and post here.

So, its not internet connection- its not other software- i dont install anything, apps/games/drivers- but bs player still decides on a random date to stop finding subtitles. There are 2 choices in the newer bs player versions and the 1st one would stop working while the 2nd one (the one that gets poor results) is still working. Now both dont find anything.
I'm hoping to find some answers and help.

I have c2quad 6600, 4gb ram, ati 4850 512ram with the current 10.3 drivers (also had many many others before- no difference) on win7 64 ultimate.

Last bs player version to try 252.1031
Old 22nd April 2010
BS.Support
BS.Player Power User

Ico-man is on a distinguished road

One of subtitle providers - opensubtitles.org - is offline at the moment. We do not have the information when it will be back online. Please try to use second subtitle provider - getsubtitle. Ctrl+P>Subtitles>Online subtitles>select getsubtitle.
Old 22nd April 2010
BS.Player Newbie

Default Thank you

I somehow found that as a possible cause right after posting the original message.

I feel silly quoting myself:

Quote:
There are 2 choices [for subtitles] in the newer bs player versions and the 1st one would stop working while the 2nd one (the one that gets poor results [getsubtitles.org]) is still working. Now both dont find anything.
There is another problem. As I'm using win7 and aero overlay gets disabled by default and the new option to display subtitles under the EVR video is extremely handy so I'm using EVR.

I'm pointing this out as previous bs player versions had picture jumping back and forth current and next frame 10 times a second for as long as the bs player text - such as volume change % and time remaining change - was on. The current bs (252.1031) is working 100% fine with no picture jumping so I'm inclined to keep it.

However, as I've said, no subtitles are being found on either provider. The first one appears to try to find some and fails, while the getsubtitles.org displays "no subtitles found" as soon as I click to search for them- giving out the impression its not even trying.

I fear that subtitles will comeback online without me knowing it, and I'd rather not uninstall this version as its working fine with the problem described above.

Will I get subtitles back when the original sub provider comes back online with my current version?

Thank you
Old 22nd April 2010
BS.Support
BS.Player Power User

"Will I get subtitles back when the original sub provider comes back online with my current version?"

Yes, for all versions of BS.Player that supports online subtitles, FREE and PRO.
Old 24th April 2010
BS.Player Newbie

The curse has been lifted! Subtitles work again! :D
Old 5th May 2010
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately, the problem still exists. I've sent a PM to ico-man about this. Seems they modified database acces so BSPlayer does not find subtitles any more.
Old 6th May 2010
BS.Support
BS.Player Power User

http://forum.bsplayer.com/news-updat...html#post41724
Old 6th May 2010
BS.Player Master

With the site opened in front of my eyes, pointing to the correct subtitle, BSPlayer doesn't find the subtitle. It's not opensubtitles.org downtime but a deeper problem. And it's 4-5 days old at least.
You may wanna consider www.addic7ted.com as a good provider. At this moment it's one of the best if not THE best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg opensubtitles.jpg (84.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 9th May 2010
BS.player Regular User

Zatos is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I'm having the same problem. I've notice Opensubtitles.org up and running, yet bsplayer is no longer finding subtitles. I don't know when it started happening exactly but I'm sure it coincided with me having upgraded to a new version. It's really annoying because I love subtitles and it helps me understand what's going on better. Bsplayer always used to find the subtitles for anything that had them and now I'm getting absolutely nothing. I know there is external factors with this, but I'm hard pressed to believe that this problem is something other than bsplayer.

That being said, bsplayer is by far superior to any other video player! I absolutely love this program and only hope to see it continually improve (the automatic downloading subtitles was absolutely brilliant)!
Old 9th May 2010
BS.Player Newbie

gwodus is on a distinguished road
Default Confirming Bug

I noticed the same thing. Online Subtitles are not working anymore since a while. I am using BS.Player 2.53 Build 1034, 21. April 2010.

Here is a Screenshot. opensubtitles.org was not down.

Otherwise. Keep up the good work!

Last edited by gwodus; 10th May 2010 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11th May 2010
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by adicoto View Post
With the site opened in front of my eyes, pointing to the correct subtitle, BSPlayer doesn't find the subtitle. It's not opensubtitles.org downtime but a deeper problem. And it's 4-5 days old at least.
You may wanna consider www.addic7ted.com as a good provider. At this moment it's one of the best if not THE best.
You probably mean Addic7ed.com - Quality subtitles in many languages for TV Shows and movies. (without the "t").
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 11th May 2010
BS.Player Master

Yeah. Me bad again. Thanks
Old 11th May 2010
BS.Player Master

But, unfortunately, no answer on this problem.
Old 12th May 2010
BS.player Regular User

Zatos is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, addic7ed is one of the best subtitle providers. Most of the automatically downloaded subtitles came from them. And impressive! When bsplayer first started doing subtitle downloading I was startled to see that subtitles were already available for shows that had just hit the internets a couple of hours ago.

I am still frustrated by a lack of acknowledgement or solution to this problem. Having automatic downloading subtitles was one of the best things to ever happen to bsplayer! I'm just missing them so much...
Old 9th August 2010
BS.player Regular User

opensubtitles is on a distinguished road

hi, I am admin on opensubtitles.org, so if you have some questions, you can ask me, or PM me. Also, in that time, if I remember, I have to shut down API for BS.Player, the load on the server was enormous (and still it is).

I hope this helps.

Tags
autofound, longer, online, player, subtitles