Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > Subtitles

Subtitles Post question about BS.Player and subtitles (srt sub ssa mkv) here

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 25th November 2015
BS.Player Newbie

shadyyx is on a distinguished road
Default Subtitles downloaded through BSPlayer are in wrong encoding

I know there are different posts here already about wrong encoding and that changing the font alternative (or whatever it is called) solves my problem within BSPlayer, BUT yet the file itself (when opened in Notepad) seems to be corrupted.

After downloading the subtitles ("Check online for subtitles") the downloaded file contains some of the characters (from Czech character set, like ě, č, ř, ů, ď, or ň) in a different encoding (maybe ASCII or some different one). Changing the font alternative from "Western" to "Central Europe" fixes the displayed characters in BSPlayer, but that's all.

If I want to use those subtitles with different movie player or copy the movie and subtitles to a USB stick and play the movie through my TV, the subtitles are completely corrupted. Opening in Notepad and saving in "Unicode" or "UTF-8" encoding doesn't work here since the characters are already corrupted when the file is opened. Changing the font alternative in Notepad doesn't work here anymore.

I do not know what has happened or where, because:
- I haven't updated BSPlayer for few months now
- still using those three default subtitle crawlers present in default installation
- I had no problems before, i.e. this problem is present only since two weeks ago...
- if I go to opensubtitles.org directly and download any of the subtitles previously downloaded by BSPlayer, they are correctly displayed and I can use them anywhere without any problem...

Any idea?

Tags
download, downloaded, encoding, subtitles, wrong