Official BS.Player forums

Official BS.Player forums (http://forum.bsplayer.com/index.php)
-   Bug Reports And Codecs (http://forum.bsplayer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Have Video but No Sound (http://forum.bsplayer.com/showthread.php?t=2035)

kelston 1st July 2003 10:26 PM

Have Video but No Sound

I seem to have a weird problem, i'm thinking it probably isn't just BSPlayer but I wasn't exactly going to try and get Microsoft to help with Media Player :roll:

Anyway, a couple days ago, for some reason, none of my avis, wmvs, mpegs or such would play at all. I had the codecs for them, and they worked the day before and such, but would no longer work.

So I went through, uninstalled my xvid and divx codecs, reinstalled them, still nada. So I went and install DivX 3.11alpha as suggested on a few posts here, installed 5.0.5 on top of it and blamo, I could play my avis and mpegs in DivX Player 2.1.

However, the videos that work properly in DivX Player 2.1 don't work properly in BSPlayer. I get the video but I get no sound.

Also, for some reason, I can no longer play wmv files, even WMP9 won't play them. I'm not sure what's going on as i'm wholly virus free and I already tried a scandisk.

Anyone with suggestions on getting sound in BSplayer and perhaps links to download the wmv/asf codecs?

EDIT - Update... I reinstalled WMP9, and have the same problem now with BSPlayer. I can play DivX files and such in it with video but no sound. However, WMV files still won't play, but now I can play them in Winamp with sound. Argh. I need my Dave Matthews fix!

player_lover 2nd July 2003 12:06 AM

My guess: you had a codecpack you have recently uninstalled. Because those packs are not very smart, they unregistered all filters on your computer and it is possible they have deleted them too (if you have Win98).
I'm sorry to say but, if this is the case, then reinstall the codecpack (the easyeast way to go around this for now) and next time you reinstall Windows, don't use any codecpacks again.

kelston 2nd July 2003 12:35 AM

I'll keel j00 nimo!

No, but the only reason I installed the Nimo pack was after discovering that none of my video files would work.

Prior to that I only had DivX 5.0.5 and XviD installed along with whatever comes with WMP9, RealOne Player, and Quicktime.

The_Beast 2nd July 2003 09:56 PM

Some solution

For Every people who have no sound with BSPlayer

I spend many and many hours trying to solve the sound problem.
First it's obvious that you must check the sound level then here is a really useful tip:
In the audio part of Preferences, if the output device is set to some specific device, the sound doesn't work. In this case when you right click on the video and select properties, only the video codecs appear. To repair the sound you just have to select an other device (in Preferences ->Audio -> Output device), then close and reload bsplayer and try again and again...

About me, I can select "default directsound device" but not "DirectSound: mysoundcard "

Hope it'll help some people
I think BSPlayer is the best video (DIVX, XVID, MPEG...) player in the world
and it's free so i thank each person working on it.

Note: I'm French so my written english is not perfect.

kelston 2nd July 2003 10:23 PM

*beats his head against a wall*

Well, I didn't have the audio output set to my soundcard but I had it set to Default Device, I figured that's what BSplayer wanted since I only have 1 sound device.

Guess not, had to switch it to default DSound or WaveOut device.

The_Beast 3rd July 2003 09:01 AM

A precision

when I wrote: "I can select "default directsound device" but not "DirectSound: mysoundcard " "
It doesn't mean i can't select "DirectSound: mysoundcard " but if I select it, I have no sound (and sound codecs don't appear in the properties when right click on the video window)
I think nevertheless that my sound card is the default directsound device.

Corporations_Own_You 3rd July 2003 02:59 PM

Usually sound problems are something really stupid that you overlooked. Getting fancy with uninstalling codecs and reinstalling them won't help you if you accidentally turned the sound off. There are a few simple places to look. The sys tray.. double click the sound icon and check your volume of wave output and overall output and make sure none of them are clicked muted.

In BSplay it is easy to accidentally turn the sound off and not realize it. You should see a cone of little lines underneath the sound icon for BSplay on the Bsplay toolbar. If it isnt there drag from left to right in that area and it will appear and you should hear sound.

The other one is that you may have digital output only selected in your regular sound settings(accessed by the systray, advanced settings).. that will kill your sound too.

AND FINALLY.. check the cabling to your speakers and the volume knobs there.. Make sure the cable is plugged into the right port.. sometimes some jackass can pull it out and put it back wrong.

THESE are the most common reasons for no sound, not aliens, viruses or codecs.

The_Beast 3rd July 2003 03:16 PM

You're all right but in all those cases, the sound doesnt' work at all.
I wrote solutions about BSPlayer problem, it means when with every other players the sound works and not in BSPlayer.
If you have sound problem in every (or most) player, bsplayer is not responsible and if the only one program without sound is BSPlayer (that's very pesky) , it has a lot of chance that the cause is BSPlayer.

Kees 4th July 2003 03:17 PM

Hello,

I got the same problem, and I think I know the problem.

Everytime I start a movie with bsplayer I hear no sound. But with my mixer of my soundcard i see sound.
The solution: Everytime you play a movie set the sound of windows on, because BsPlayer set it out.

I can't write english very well, because i'm a dutchman