Official BS.Player forums

Official BS.Player forums (http://forum.bsplayer.com/index.php)
-   Bug Reports And Codecs (http://forum.bsplayer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   PS player eats cpu to 100% when certain xvid file is played (http://forum.bsplayer.com/showthread.php?t=6082)

Carmageddon 6th February 2005 09:32 PM

PS player eats cpu to 100% when certain xvid file is played

Hey ppl,
I am trying to watch lections in physics, which I converted from the vcd format it came on, to XviD, and I watch the lections at 140-150% playback rate, as the teacher speaks real slow :D

Anyway, I watched already 3-4 lections, and it was fine. but on this particular one (for reference purposes, named HASH2-40.MPG.XviD.avi), when it gets to 22:52 or somehting around that, BS player jumps to 100% and picture starts to move real slow..

I tried playback on normal rate, and it was ok.. meaning either there is prob with this particular file (which I doubt, as they all were re-encoded with same settings), or (most probably) there is some bug in BS player..

I would appreciate any responses.. this problem is reproducable, so if needed I could make bug report (just tell me how).

PS. I use BS player 1.00 RC1
Thanks!

BSPeter 6th February 2005 09:59 PM

I would suggest to first upgrade to latest build 814 (version 1.1).
Problem still there?
Check which codec/filter is used by BSPlayer.
(Rightclick > Options > Filters > Advanced (> [+]))
:wink:
P.S.: Also please read my Help2Help post (link at bottom)

Carmageddon 6th February 2005 10:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Apologies, I made quick search before I wrote this topic, and right after that started to write the topic.. so missed the help2help ..

Anyway, here is the reply:

1) I upgraded to FREE version 1.10 Build 814 22 Jan 2005, and still the same problem exactly.
2) HW info: HP Pavilion ze4924ea, Celeron M 1.4ghz, 512mb ram, 40gb hdd, Intel Extreme Graphics 2 (32mb shared) and 15" monitor.. I think thats all which could possibly regard the video playback hehe. SW info: Win XP home+SP2, DX 9.0c.
codecs info is attached in screenshots.
3)Anything I forgot?

adicoto 7th February 2005 05:47 PM

Two things. You are not using XviD decoder to playback the file, but ffdsow. Second, Celeron @ 1400 can be sometimes (with high bitrate and high speed played files) a little too slow. And by the way, laptops are not quite the most powerfull PCs.

So, PC can't be changed. Try to remove ffdshow and install XviD. It may help.

bluedan 9th February 2005 09:44 PM

:? Ahem, correction.
You don't have to uninstall ffdshow.
If you want XVid to decode then configure ffdshow under codec tab.
Clicks cycle through disable, xvid, libavcodec with the latter being the ffdshow inherent decoder.

I frankly favorize ffdshow, because it keeps the installation simple for most users here,
because it can decode mostly every video type available ATM.
This is true for versions from the last months, look for latest quite stable compile here.

Decoding quality with libavcodec should be the same as the code is actually nearly identical!

I agree with the rest of your statements adicoto. :wink:
Maybe reducing postprocessing settings in applied decoder filter could help a bit.

One word to the codecs info picture of AVIcodec.
Click on Direct Show because that's the intersting part for video playback!!