Official BS.Player forums

Official BS.Player forums (http://forum.bsplayer.com/index.php)
-   Feature Requests, Feedback And Suggestions (http://forum.bsplayer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   subtitles synchronization (http://forum.bsplayer.com/showthread.php?t=1033)

RTI 8th February 2003 04:46 PM

subtitles synchronization

hi!

it would be nice to add such option

Nick 10th February 2003 12:15 AM

This could be a bit tricky, heh?
Subtitle synchronisation depens on framereate, subtitle kind (there different formats), delay, lenght and some more things.
Doing that realtime isn't a that good idea, i think.
You can better use the subtitle workshop to adjust your subtitle file...
(therefore you only have to do once instead of compute it every time.)

RTI 12th February 2003 08:16 PM

Probably you'r right. I talk about it because I sow such option in one of my other players - "bestpayer". I know that i can edit subtitles using subtitle editor. Im not a programer and i don't know how difficult is to implement that. Maybe there is any simple way to do this.

Nick 13th February 2003 03:01 AM

I wanted to try bestplayer to see what you'd expect but
1. I do not speak polish ;-)
2. It just crashes when I open an .avi

Automatic subtitle synchronisation will probably be impossible (you'd have to know when first sentence begins and when last one ends - what you just cannot extract from the movie (as there will be an intro and credits) but in general the transformation is linear ( y = a*x + b) so it should be easy to implement - you than would need a slide (or two parameters) to adjust the subtitles - what will probably be not very exact.
However (in the latter case) I do not see why this should make any sense as you will hav to do this everytime you play the movie, you will have to dynamically correct your settings and:
It can be easily and fast done via a subtitle editor... ?!

RTI 16th February 2003 07:38 PM

he he he, bestplayer is not the best.

I don't expect automatic synchronisation. Bestplayer (works fine for me, however, I dont like it) has an option to put subtitles x seconds forward or back. You can switch it manually in preferences. I agree we can live without it.
BTW I found another nice option regarding subtitles. Bestplayer can automatically do word wrap or decrease font size if sentence doesn't fit on the screen. I think it would be quite usable.

safir 20th February 2003 09:31 AM

I don't think it would be so impossible to implemet that function (i.e. Set Subtitle Delay) in Subtitle Menu, because BSPlayer allready has a keyboard shortcuts to do this (read in About menu):

Ctrl+Left/Right Subtitles time correction -/+
VobSub subtitles dec/inc delay
Shift+Left/Right Subtitles time correction -/+ (small steps)
VobSub subtitles dec/inc speed

I saw that function in RadLight program and it has option to set delay in seconds and in frames (according to in which format subtitles are, I think)

It would be realy nice to implement that in Menu, because there is already a keyboard shortcut!

Nick 20th February 2003 12:59 PM

Noone says it would be impossible to implement a function for subtitle correction, but do you have any idea how this could be done automatically?
Thing is just, i'd rather do that ONCE, not everytime i play a video...

RTI 20th February 2003 08:03 PM

O.K. the shortcuts works fine. That's what I asked. It's probably because of my bad english. I saw it but don't get it. Thanks.

safir 23rd February 2003 06:12 PM

Nick, look, BSPlayer already has a keyboard shortcut, so it is already programmed to do that, all that it would have to do is to implement that in Menu.