Official BS.Player forums

Official BS.Player forums (http://forum.bsplayer.com/index.php)
-   Feature Requests, Feedback And Suggestions (http://forum.bsplayer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Open File dialog (http://forum.bsplayer.com/showthread.php?t=7418)

mibo 24th April 2006 01:09 PM

Open File dialog

1 Attachment(s)
Whenever I go to open different media. I have to be burdened with navigating through many folders. I would like to see the open dialog that is part of Windows (natively). I included a stacked shot of each dialog to better explain my desire. How would I go about enabling this in BSPLAYER? It makes navigating so much easier for large collections. The current "fake" API does not even come close to matching my Windows theme. This program would be perfect for me if this was included.

Like this:

adicoto 24th April 2006 02:57 PM

I am not sure exactly what you mean, but if I get it right (you want to get faster to your media files) I am sure the media library from version 2 will help.
By the way, did you try to use playlists for each folder with media files ?

BSPeter 24th April 2006 07:33 PM

What happens if you select/check
"Disable skinned windows (restart required)" and
"Disable skinned menus (restart required)"
under (rightclick >) Options > Preferences > Skins ?
(after exit > restart of course)
:wink:

mibo 25th April 2006 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSPeter
What happens if you select/check
"Disable skinned windows (restart required)" and
"Disable skinned menus (restart required)"
under (rightclick >) Options > Preferences > Skins ?
(after exit > restart of course)

This:

http://www.enablingwolf.com/OCpix/open.png

This is a partial fix to my desire. I wanted to thank you for helping me in this part.

:Fixed: To clarify what I was asking further. I wanted it to match my theme. :Fixed:

Then I wanted to have the native navigation on the side of the Open dialog.
Here is an example of what I mean.

http://www.enablingwolf.com/OCpix/openfile.png

Notice how I get navigation of the various setups for easier navigation to locations of my desire. On the left side of the dialog.

I think Windows (stock) will show a bit different. I tend to lean more towards Media on my navigation. Creating playlists for each folder would make it even worse for me. I have over 11,000 files to navigate. I go by moods and playlist loading is not how I perfer to navigate. I like to just go to the files and then add them to a temp list for what I perfer at the time.

Getting this into my experiance on bsplayer would make me very happy.

adicoto 25th April 2006 04:00 AM

Then the media library will be your answer.

mibo 25th April 2006 05:26 AM

May I ask what this media library is?

I understand what it is for most apps. How does it tie in with the bsplayer? Is it a plugin? A setting or what?

adicoto 25th April 2006 05:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
If you use Winamp as audio player then you should be aware of it's media library. There you can order all your media files
Like this, I think you should have a quicker acces to all your media files, not by open function but directly from inside the player. As BSPlayer's team announced that this will be a feature in the new release of BSPlayer, I think that you don't have so much to wait until you can test it. And if you are not happy with it, maybe they will add your request to their list of BSPlayer improvements.

mibo 25th April 2006 06:43 AM

I am familair with media libraries. Most the big players have them. Sometimes I just want to play one file and not open the whole library browser to jump to one file.

It is very convienent to have the native 'Open File' with any player or application. I been using Winamp for a long time now. It has become so bloated of late. Bloat is evil and it better give returns for the large footprint. BSplayer has a nice light delta. I am on the hunt for a new player to handle all of my files and desires. I was honestly hoping my needs would of been met with this player.

This one thing would be perfect for me. I really would not rather have to wait for a feature, since I want it now. To be honest, this reminds me of the GUI for MP classic. That is the reason I went with Winamp. Guess what I desire may be in another player. :?:

I will check back later to see if this application suites my tastes. As of now it is lacking in my needs as a user. Nice program though.

If a patch ( or small update) could be put out or even sent to me to address this. I would be very very happy.

Tizio 25th April 2006 09:57 AM

I doubt a patch will fix your problem with BSplayer..
The BSplayer Open Dialog is the Windows one, but there are different ways an API call can be done, so the programmer can choose to show all the features it gives or not..
The one used by BSplayer devs is a simple one, maybe you can ask them to change it to suite your (and other users') needs.

As adicoto said in v2 you'll have a Media Library, so you'll be able to manage your files directly from there.. :wink:

BSPeter 26th April 2006 01:12 AM

@mibo: Hmmm, when I click on Open file in BSPlayer (version 1.39 Build 829, 16. Feb 2006, but also valid for Pro version 1.41 build 832, 25. Mar 2006) I get this:
http://members.home.nl/van.raak/OpenFile.png
I'm under WinMe though!
Seems a Windows-setting to me perhaps?
Maybe, for the time being, you could add some shortcuts to your Desktop?
(Only version 0.86 Build 501, 16. Sep. 2003 gives me an "Open file"-window similar to yours)

mibo 26th April 2006 03:04 AM

Unfortunatly making icons for the desktop would make my clean freak (desktop) way of computing cluttered. :roll:

I would have to make over 70 icons for simple navigation purposes.

(Audio section)

http://www.enablingwolf.com/OCpix/aopen.png

If I get deep into a folder. Instead of using the Up one level or the pull down. I just go right to the top of the directory with the side bar. I understand not everyone has the same setup as me. Since most don't even know that the side navigation can be customized, or even care if it can be. :lol:

I was hoping there was some way I could get it to work via a reg hack or in the greatest of hopes. A little something something to get me on my way. I have a way I like to build my lists and such.

In the last two weeks I tried 6 or 7 different players. They all seem to have this one lack IMO. BSplayer seemed to rise above the rest and I wanted to see if I could get one part to suite me a little closer. The other players I was checking out were not worth even asking or requesting anything. I think this one has a good potential to be my next player. Though I am picky how programs run and the GUI.
It does my video collection very well. I don't hop around in it. Like I do the audio part of my collection. Having a large collection is nice, but navigating it for a single file or two makes it difficult.

Tizio 26th April 2006 10:10 AM

...mm.. checked now, and as BSPeter (but on Windows XP) I have the side navigation bar.. :?

BSPeter 26th April 2006 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tizio
as BSPeter (but on Windows XP) I have the side navigation bar.. :?

So seems indeed some sort of Window's setting? But how....?
:?

Tizio 26th April 2006 09:58 PM

I don't know, I'll try to see if by modifying the left side bar will come up in conflicts with BSplayer (and other applications).

I'll let you know..

Tizio 26th April 2006 10:29 PM

I modified my side bar entries, but no changes, BSplayer is able to show the open dialog without problems and with the navigation bar modified with my new entries.. Probably you have some Windows settings that interfere with this, or you have problems with your comdlg32.dll library :?