Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > General Talk And Support

General Talk And Support General talk and peer-to-peer support about BS.Player and other video and audio multimedia players.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 13th September 2002
BS.Player Newbie

tatif69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AVIcodec searches betatester

AVIcodec is a tool I wrote to analyse movies files ( AVI, Real, Ogg, Mpeg)
and to gives a lots of technical information on them,
particularly the video & audio codecs and if they are supported by the system. It recommends BSPLAYER as the recommended player.

I will appreciate if you can test if and give me your feedback :
You can download the current beta version 0.9 on http://avicodec.duby.info/

Thanks
Old 24th September 2002
BS.Player Power User

xlv600 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Philippe, it seems to be exactly the tool I was looking for. Really a GOOD job. I've downloaded v0.9

Here are my first impressions
+ It installs itself the right way, and launches from the right-click context menu.
+ It detects both audio streams of my nandub's AVI
+ It detects the bitrates for all streams (Yet, I've not checked the accuracy from my logs, I'll tell you latter)
+ It can recurse subdirs
+ each movie is coted with an icon for no Audio, or OK and NOK, depending if the codec is detected or not.
+ it can record the extracted data in a text file.
+ I love the very detailed informations extracted.
+ the columns of the results list can be sorted, displayed columns can be customized

But:
- Checked options should be saved for next call.
- DX50 fourcc coded movies are checked as NOK, but DIVX is installed.
- No way to detect wich codec from DivX4.0 to 5.02 with pro features.
- For duration, I would like to have the cents too (frame precision), it would help for edition.
- I had to drop an AVI in the root of my HDisk and select it to be able to recurse...
- If I don't check 'clear list before select', then I get:
Access violation 0x401FB4 in avicodec.exe. Read of address 011A.
- Once checked it works in a subs containing more than 70 AVI (1.8GB).
But when I recurse the parent directory (it should detect 143 AVI for 40GB), I get quite immediatly a list of 79 files (including the previous one)recursed from 6 dirs and an other Access violation 0x4020D2 ...read at 0001.
On an other disk containing 107 AVI (67GB) in their subdirs, It freezes about 25s and I get a list of 5 files from the root and 4 subdirs and an other Access violation 0x404CD3 ... read at 131000 (why so far?.

(I'm running a fresh XT Pro SP1, DivX5.02 and WinDVD are the only codec added to Windows)
Old 24th September 2002
BS.Player Power User

:D After looking at my logs it appears that both Video and Audio bitrates are accurate. (Tested only with DivX 3,4,5 and mp3 ABR and mp3 CBR).

In the main window. When a codec Video codec is unknown, the Web link associated to movie data doesn't launch BSplayer web site but open the current dir in Explorer.

I've found 23 AVI that cause Access violation. They were muxed with a specific version of Nandub, modified par BST2k (itself), in order to edit the Audio streams label. (Fran?§ais & English is more convenient than Stream1 & Stream2, isn't it?)

The debug option seemed to be inoperant to dump the header, in fact it is and a 64kB file is created in the movie directory.
Do you want me to send you that header?
Old 26th September 2002
BS.Player Newbie

avicodec is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm happy to see a real betatester here, moreover a french one !

To give you some answers :
- save checked option : good idea, I will add it
- DX50 NOK but installed : in fact there is no VFW codec, but a DirectShow filter for it, I will add DirectShow support in 1.0 and this problem should be fixed
- Dectect Divx 4 / 5 pro : I don't know on which element I can grab this information ?
- Duration in cent : I can try to do it
- Select a drive unit or a directory : why not, maybe not in 1.0
- Access violation when Clear is unchecked : a real bug, should be fixed easily
- Access violation with big list : someone already told me about this problem, but I don't know where it happens, I don't have such big list for debugging ...
- Web link fails : I will check that
- AVI that cause Access violation : please generate header from one of those file and send it to me : avicodec@duby.info (in french...)

See you soon ...
Old 26th September 2002
BS.Player Power User

In fact BST's Nandub muxed movies generate an "EAccess violation", I tried to monitor files access with sysinternales FileMon but it didn't help so much. I mail you aa AVI header.
Old 1st October 2002
BS.Player Power User

Sorry for the delay.

Great!
Many thanx 4 your upgrade, it solves the Bst's Nandub muxed AVI issue. I could retrieve a full HD filled with 53GB of DivX movies (146 files) with *no error* !
In fact it's quite easy to retrieve a full HDisk, you just have to launch Avicodec, check all but the debug options and select a HDisk, with a fake 'toto' filename.

Access violation
Unfortunately, I found that when recursing directories that contain files which filename have no extension AviCodec sends a funny Access violation 0048374E in module 'avicodec.exe'. Read of address 00000001. I guess it tried to open the file as a directory.
On my 2nd DivX HDisk, I got this error, and it prevented me to retrieve all the movies, I missed a third of them in the result list, and the missed one seemed OK on a file by file basis.

Request
I've tested the export feature. It's OK. But I would have some requests for further enhancement:
- You should add the FileDate information to the collection.
- Is it correct that audio codec Id is different for stream 1 and 2?
MP3(1) = 55 MP3(2) = 85
DivX(1) = 161 DivX(2) = 353
- Despite they appear in a file by file basis, Audio stream 2 fields are missing in the file export (in the GUI columns too!), a2Name and a2Url fields have both the same meaningless value (about 1e6).
- Data are not formated, I mean sizes unit is Byte, times unit is Secondes,video width and height are separated fields ... It may be a good choice as accuracy is preserved and data can be computed, but the user needs some Excel skills to exploit the results (for me that's OK ;-P).

Caution:
You've changed the page pointed by the link you provide. It should be http://p.duby.free.fr/avicodec.htm but this page is outdated with it's v0.8 version.

I know you prefer french, but more people can read english :(

:arrow: You've written a great app, you should upgrade your web side and give this app a wider audience.

Tags
avicodec, betatester, searches