Official BS.Player forums

Official BS.Player forums (http://forum.bsplayer.com/index.php)
-   General Talk And Support (http://forum.bsplayer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Assigning the space bar as Play/Pause (http://forum.bsplayer.com/showthread.php?t=6358)

J44xm 30th April 2005 06:31 AM

Assigning the space bar as Play/Pause

I've searched as thoroughly as it reasonable, but I've not found the answer to this question: How can I get the space bar to function simultaneously as a Play key and a Pause key? Shouldn't there be a "Play/Pause" in the program's command list for key assignments? Is this possible? (I imagine it is.) Thanks much.

(Latest build under WinXP Home.)

RafkeP 30th April 2005 08:30 AM

Goto "Options/Preferences/Key definitions & WinLIRC"
Select "Pause" and press the "spacebar"

I hope that this is what you meant.
Rafke P.

adicoto 30th April 2005 08:53 AM

AFAIK, space bar is by default asigned to play\pause. If you go to key definition, when pressing space on the input field you will see ?????. Don't worry, the key will be asigned.

J44xm 1st May 2005 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RafkeP
Goto "Options/Preferences/Key definitions & WinLIRC"
Select "Pause" and press the "spacebar"

If I'm not mistaken, you're describing the standard method of assigning the space bar to the pause function. If I do this (and there are no keys assigned to the play function), then the space bar will only function as pause, meaning that when beginning to play a stopped (non-playing) video, it will pause on the first frame when the space bar is pressed and I must press the space bar again to get it to actually play (unpause). The correct way that a Play/Pause function should behave is that if a video is not currently playing, then the video should play, not pause. I hope this is clear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adicoto
AFAIK, space bar is by default asigned to play\pause. If you go to key definition, when pressing space on the input field you will see ?????. Don't worry, the key will be asigned.

If both Play and Pause are unassigned ("???"), the space bar doesn't do anything. If I set Pause to the space bar and leave Play unassigned, then it's the same thing as above. If I assign only Play to the space bar and leave Pause unassigned, then the space bar won't pause.

Any other ideas?

adicoto 1st May 2005 09:40 AM

I am afraid I don't undertand exactly what you want. If autoplay function is enabled, when loading video it starts playing. By pressing the space key (wich by default is play\pause button) I pause the file. Pressing again, the file resume playing (this is pause, not stop).

Tizio 2nd May 2005 10:31 AM

If you assign Space bar to play function, you can't assign it also to Pause!!
The meaning of "Play/Pause" function is that if the movie is already in playing mode, THEN the function will pause it and AFTER it will RESUME Playing.
So, the real function name is not Play/Pause but Pause/Resume.

I think the only way to assign Space bar to Play/Pause is to write a plugin that checks the player status and if it's playing, and the Space bar is pressed, then send a message to BSplayer with the Pause shortcut (that in any case must be different from Play shortcut!), otherwise BSplayer will recognise the Play shortcut and will start the playback. :?
And obviously this metod will word only if the plugin is able to catch the keyboard events before BSplayer...

I think the better method is (as adicoto wrote) to use the Autoplay function to automatically load the movie and start playing it, and the Space bar to Pause/Resume the video playback...

Bye :)

adicoto 2nd May 2005 10:46 AM

Now I see. I translated play as resume. He wants to start playing the file by pressing the space bar, pause playing by space bar and afterwards, resume playing with space bar.

Tizio 2nd May 2005 08:16 PM

I think he wants that feature... :wink:
Or at least this is what I undestood :)