Official BS.Player forums

Official BS.Player forums (http://forum.bsplayer.com/index.php)
-   General Talk And Support (http://forum.bsplayer.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   cannot hyperlink BSPlayer associated filein PPT (http://forum.bsplayer.com/showthread.php?t=7688)

perfection 15th July 2006 10:48 AM

cannot hyperlink BSPlayer associated filein PPT

Hi I am a newbie to BSplayer and downloaded the same since i heard so much about it
I changed the file associations of my wmv and mpg files to play with BSPlayer as the default (i also have WMP 11 installed and for info my OS is winXP). The file icon changes to BSPlayer and they open with BSplayer when clicked in explorer. Even the file type tab reflects the change in the association and so does the registry recognise the default player as BSplayer. The video file mpg and wmv is also cleanly disassociated from the file types ofg Windows media player.
Now for the problem - in Microsoft Office Powerpoint i have created a hyperlink that points to my BSplayer associated mpg video file. However on clicking the hyperlink when the slide slow is on i get the following message "No program is registered to open this file". I have also tried the earlier version of BSPlayer 1.42 as well as the latest version 2.0

What am i doing wrong and is there any corrective measure for this problem

Also i am having a problem associating mp3 files with BSplayer even though they are disassociated from my earlier default palyer WMP. Icon does noit change nor does the player (WMP pops up yet to play mp3 files) until i manually change the association in the file type tab of folder options

Please help

Tizio 15th July 2006 10:54 AM

Can you post here an example of the hyperlink you wrote?

Try to select also the option "Regitser extensions on player start" in BSplayer File types properties page and then try to restart BSplayer...

perfection 16th July 2006 06:35 AM

Thanks for the early reply

I did not 'write' the hyperlink - i just created the same from the ready options in powerpoint.

1. Open a new slide. Create an action button by selecting one from the slideshow pull down menu --> action buttons

2. click on the slide at the location you want to positioin the same. The hyperlink action menu will pop up. Select "hyperlink to..." option and then in the pull down select "other file...." Browse to te BSplayer associated file and select it.

3. Ok your way our and save the change. Now play the slideshow in full mode (F5). Click on the action button seting and you (may) get a warning message. Ok the same (this is standard and has nothing to doi with our problem) after which you will see that the error message i described in my earlier post that "this is not a registered file type"

Now try this with any opther asociated file or with another media player program association and it will play in the slideshow

Yes, the option you suggested to register associations on each start up is selected by me but does not solve this program

Thanks, I'd appreciate any help i can get

Tizio 16th July 2006 09:11 AM

Ok, I tried to follow your steps and the same message appears to me, but I think it's a problem of PowerPoint (I think it was made only for uncompressed videos, or only to let you add a button with a cinema-camera drawn on it).
You have at least 2 solutions to this inconvenience:

1. When you create the hyperlink, you may try to use "Start program" instead of linking the movie directly into PP. This way you can start BSplayer (or another player) and reproduce the movie through command lines

2. (I found this solution by searching the Help on line of PP) Select "Object" from the "Insert" menu item.
Then select "Multimedia clip" and be sure the "Create new" option is selected. Press OK. From the "Insert clipboard" menu item choose the first option (Video for Windows...) and then select the file you want to add to your slideshow. To play it simply press the Play button on the multimedia toolbar (just below the menu). If you want to place the clip in a different position, then click outside the movie region and then drag it everywhere you want to.
Note: when you add a movie as an objects to your slideshows you can't add it to a custom animation.

If you want to find these instructions by yourself in PP, press F1 in PP and search for "Solve problems related to movies".

I hope this helped you :wink:

perfection 16th July 2006 03:49 PM

Thabks Tizio
I think I'll try the second option. As far as the first one is concerned i would be calling up the player and then locating the video clip in front of the audience which i don't think is very professional for a presenter (educator).

Thanks for the tips but i am still wondering why hi happens with BSplayer only. I have tried thesame thing with Quintessentail player, Fantasy DVD layer, Nero media player, Real media nd QT alternative andthey have noi problem playing thru powerpoint....

Tizio 16th July 2006 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perfection
Thabks Tizio
I think I'll try the second option. As far as the first one is concerned i would be calling up the player and then locating the video clip in front of the audience which i don't think is very professional for a presenter (educator).

If you call BSplayer through command line (i.e. "C:\BSplayer.exe" "C:\Movies\My Movie.avi" -fs -eend) you can start the movie automatically in full screen mode and at the end BSplayer will close itself automatically (so no need to do anything in front of the audience) :wink:

Quote:

Thanks for the tips but i am still wondering why hi happens with BSplayer only. I have tried thesame thing with Quintessentail player, Fantasy DVD layer, Nero media player, Real media nd QT alternative andthey have noi problem playing thru powerpoint....

What do you mean? That with those players when you click on the Action Button in PP they will be opened and the video played? :?

perfection 16th July 2006 08:52 PM

EXACTLY - and by the way that's what supposed to happen when you hyperlink any file to open including audio or video files. That is MS PPT is supposed to play it like i was clicking in windows explorer.

How and where do you enter and store a command line - please explain in detail

As for the insert ---> object - i could not find the option of multimedia object as you described in the 2nd solution Do be more specific - i am using office 2003

I think i now know what happens - BSplayer for some reason screws up the MCI existing settings int he registry under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\MCI Extensions]

Then i imported the mci settings from another PC after which i could insert movies (associated with BSplayer) but not hyperlink to them. Something else i guess needs to be fixed for the last part to work

Funny thing is that the MCI settimngs get back to normal when i revert back to Windows Media Player (or otherplayer apart from BSplayer

Yet again thanks a lot and see if you can help through this difficult phase i am going thru as i really like the player and do not wish to get back to wmp

Tizio 16th July 2006 10:27 PM

Quote:

1. How and where do you enter and store a command line - please explain in detail

2. As for the insert ---> object - i could not find the option of multimedia object as you described in the 2nd solution Do be more specific - i am using office 2003

Regarding the MCI thing I'll look into it, maybe it's something that could be (and must be) fixed, so probably it will be notified to the authors.
Let's answer to your questions:

1. Open a new slide. Create an action button by selecting one from the slideshow pull down menu --> action buttons (as you told me to do above) then, instead of selecting the hyperlink (2nd option), choose the 3rd one (Start program). Now you can either browse to BSplayer exe or enter manually the path to it into the blank text field (i.e. "C:\Program Files\Webteh\BSplayer\bsplayer.exe"), then add the path to your movie (i.e.: "C:\Movies\My Movie.avi") and then these two words -fs -eend.
-fs will start the movie in full screen mode, and -eend will close BSplayer after the movie ends.
Now you should have a command line as these one:
"C:\Program Files\Webteh\BSplayer\bsplayer.exe" "C:\Movies\My Movie.avi" -fs -eend
Now press OK to save the settings. Press F5 and click on the ActionButton to test your new StartMovieSlideShow.
I tried myself and it worked.

2. I'm using Office 2003 too, but my version is in Italian, so maybe the options I told you may differ a bit (I translated them directly from Italian into English).
Probably if you'll follow PP help section instructions they will be more detailed than mine.
Press F1 in PP and search for "Movies Problems" or "Solve Movies" (I don't know how it is indexed in the English edition).
As I told you, select "Object..." from the "Insert" menu item.
Then select "Multimedia clip" (or Media clip, or Clip media or something similar, I don't have the english version..) and be sure the "Create new" option is selected. Press OK. From the "Insert clipboard" menu item choose the first option (Video for Windows...) and then select the file you want to add to your slideshow. To play it simply press the Play button on the multimedia toolbar (just below the menu). If you want to place the clip in a different position, then click outside the movie region and then drag it everywhere you want to.

I hope this will be enough for you to play the movie you want, and regarding the MCI thing as I said I'll look into it and probably it will be notified to the developpers. Thank you :wink:

P.S.
Let me know if it worked, bye

P.P.S.
Maybe also take a look at this link (read all) and also follow the one from Andrew May on the Microsoft site

Tizio 16th July 2006 10:46 PM

I looked at my MCI settings and they are the same as reported here... I'll look furter into it, but I don't think that BSplayer was the cause, maybe a codec issue or something similar, I don't know :?

Also take a look at this site

Sorry if I provide more links than answers, but since I don't use PP I never came into a similar problem before, but now I'll look into it (also for my own knowledge :wink: )

perfection 17th July 2006 08:19 PM

Ok I'll have to concede that its not the MCI registry values. But the fundamental problem does exist that powerpoint does not allow hyperlinked BSplayer files and shows the infamous mnessage that nthere is no registered program for this file. - though we seem to have found workarounds for them

Thanks for all the help and the links were useful - have saved them in my favorites for future

Tizio 17th July 2006 11:44 PM

Quote:

Ok I'll have to concede that its not the MCI registry values. But the fundamental problem does exist that powerpoint does not allow hyperlinked BSplayer files and shows the infamous mnessage that nthere is no registered program for this file. - though we seem to have found workarounds for them

Thanks for all the help and the links were useful - have saved them in my favorites for future

I'm glad to have been of help :)
Yes, I confirm that the hyperlink problem is there, I'll try to find a solution to the problem, but I don't know from where to start :?