View Single Post
Old 2nd November 2004
BS.player Regular User

darkain is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSDSkunk
I looked at you homepage today. I have to say that it has potential, but did not live up to my personal requirements.
Here is a little constructive critisism:

1st of all: I would like a simple FAQ page witch details a few simple problems and solutions.

2nd: A changelog would be nice :)

3rd: I looked at the picture section, expection a few images of your setup: your keyboard and other things, but found some pictures of your 8 port switch. :roll: Is this your personal homepage or is it intended as the products gomepage?

4th: Check that your pages work in most of the popular browsers, in this case your page looks wierd in Opera.

5th: You should really stop encoding your homepages in Unicode. I suggest you start encoding them in ANSI. This may fix alot of graphical problems with Opera and Mozilla.

6th: When you think you are done with a page, use an online validator to check it for errors. I tried using the W3 Validator on your page (http://validator.w3.org/), and it said that it does not support the charachter encoding. Therefore, once again, you should change from Unicode to something else.

I hope you appriciate this constructive chritisism and do not take it as simple whining. :roll:
Good luck with your program. :)
i'm actually restructuring the entire web site, but im holding off on uploading the changes.

as for the "weirdness" issues of the site with opera... well, i dont have opera, therefor cant test with it. ive tested it with IE 5.5, IE6, IE 6 SP2, Mozilla 1.6, Mozilla 1.7, and Firefox 0.9. I see no weridness issues in any of these browsers. At the bottom of every single page, there is a W3C XHTML and CSS validation, and it is compliant to bolth. i have no idea is happening when you are trying to load the page.

1) as for a FAQ... well, people dont ASK me questions, so, how could i have a "frequently asked questions" section? ;)

2) the reason for no changelog is because 90+% of the changes are strictly to the API structure that doesnt effect 90+% of the users out there.. its mearly for developer purposes.

3) as for the "equipment" section, i'm working on expanding it. it will detail case-mod information, as well as equipment that i provide for a few local conventions that i attend, as well as LAN-Parties.

4) opera current only accounts for 3% of my userbase. me, as a developer, sees this as something along the lines of "small"... its not that i dont care, its that "i'm not a web developer".. i'm a programmer... every hour i shove into improving the web site, is an hour taken away from programming. see, i'm only one guy, that has to manage 100% of the codebase, 100% of the web site, and also tend to lan-party server hosting and game convention server hosting.

5) i'm using UTF-8 encoding, not UTF-16 encoding on my web site, so this shouldnt cause a problem in any browser at all. if something cant handle UTF-8, then i just dont know what to say about that.

6) again, i listed above that yes, i DO use the validator. if there was a page that WASNT valid, please give me the individual URLs. as of right now, i dont know of any pages that have issues (but i have added on some dynamically generated pages that arent fully tested yet)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20