View Single Post
Old 27th February 2006
BS.Player Power User

J7N is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stop BSPlayer from zooming automatically

Enable setting of aspect ratio without artifially increasing video resolution (upsampling). Aspect ratio setting is useful on anamorphic videos (mostly MPEG2) which must be resized for them to play properly. Yet, stretching is undesirable as it IMHO lowers quality (pics are fake).

Now to play anamorphic PAL one must switch to 720*576 (which might be unsupported or always output at 60 Hz). And there are more odd-resolution MPEGs not encoded as "square pixels" for which there are no matching display modes.

You might say that I am throwing away the vertical resolution. But my experience tells that most videos were created in their target res and then squeezed larger, so there is no extra vertical resolution.

To summarize: At the current state it is difficult to stop BS from upsampling the video to a "higher res".

I suggest the following options:

Disable automatic resizing in place of the current "Do not resize video in full screen".
If the previous option is not checked the user should be able to select another "Do not upsample video", which means that if needed the correct aspect ratio will be set, but the resolution can only decrease.

And a new feature to manually resize video to exact dimensions: some predefined plus ability to add custom value pairs. I believe that exact values can be applied much faster and with less stress than using mouse dragging or keyboard zoom.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20