View Single Post
Old 30th July 2007
BS.player Regular User

rseiler is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, and maybe it's my imagination, but do videos look, I don't know, not as smooth when not using overlay mode versus using it?

I know for sure that the color richness fades when not in overlay mode (i.e. when IN "Internal renderer DirectDraw surface" mode, the one you have to be in so Aero isn't deactivated), and contrast looks off.

At least it looks that way when compared to WMP, or BSP in its default rendering mode.

I know overlay mode is supposed to be about using less resources, but does it also go to quality? In other words, are the other modes something less?

I'm testing with the latest version.

P.S.: Some of the other modes also work without disabling Aero. "EVR Enhanced Video Renderer" is one that also -- at least on my system -- make videos look as good as they do in WMP or BSP in its default rendering mode.

I suppose this is all highly variable depending on your system, but it's worth experimenting with these settings.

BTW, are all the various modes actually defined somewhere? I really have no idea what any of them are.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20