Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > Bug Reports And Codecs

Bug Reports And Codecs Report BS.Player bugs here - help us to improve BS.Player even further.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 24th March 2005
BS.Player Newbie

LighthouseJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Eats up CPU after a long time / full-screen issues

I have BSPlayer 1.22 (build 817) installed on a rather fresh reinstall of Windows XP Home (merely a cleaning, not emergency reinstall), running on a 1.4GHz Pentium M with an NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 video card. This is a laptop but I also plug in a 21" CRT which shows the video on there simultaneously. This makes it easier to watch at a distance and angles than the laptop LCD.

I have these TV recordings encoded with Xvid that I play with the ffdshow decoder, and no options turned on. I like to play them at night and fall asleep while it plays. Before the reinstall, it would play through the morning no problem (not sure if it's the same build of BSPlayer). However, now they play fine until I go to sleep but in the morning, I wake up and the video moves extremely slowly. I can manage to bring up the Task Manager and find out that BSPlayer is using 99% of the CPU. I end up terminating the process so my laptop can cooldown and I can continue on with my day. I don't think it's caused by anything else because I have just about the same programs installed as before, the installation is just cleaner. Any help or tips to try would be greatly appreciated.

Second issue is simpler to explain. In the aforementioned situation where I play recordings at night, sometimes BSPlayer goes out of full-screen mode but the picture behaves like it still is in full-screen mode. I made sure to check the "Full Screen" on every file but it still occurs. Sometimes the window will fill the top 3/4 of the screen and cut off the bottom 1/4, showing my desktop. I tried the search feature here on the forum but couldn't find anything, so I apologize if this issue has already been mentioned.

I'm willing to testbed any ideas to help figure the problem out because I doubt anyone else can recreate these bugs if I haven't found anyone else mention the issue. Thanks a lot and BSPlayer has been my player of choice for years, Nate.
Old 24th March 2005
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

I've read earlier posts describing problems which could be related to yours. It seems to me that a common denominator in these posts could be (a more recent version of) ffdshow. Now, I'm not using ffdshow myselves and I don't know what version you're using. In your case I would however not be using ffdshow. Instead try latest DivX-codec (perhaps also - but not necessary - XviD as well). Shouldn't be a problem for a 1.4GHz Pentium (even if it is the mobile version, though I've no personal experience with that).
Please read my Help2Help-post (and especially item (4) thereof (and concerning ffdshow (a) under MISCELLANEOUS)).

Please let us know any news.
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 25th March 2005
BS.Player Newbie

Thanks for your reply BSPeter,

I did have an October 2004 released of ffdshow installed, I since upgraded to a February 2005 release, however the problem remains. I used to use ffdshow exclusively before I reformatted my computer without any problems which makes me wonder what changes to BSPlayer+ffdshow from before the format and since then to make it eat up the CPU. I'll investigate further but it looks like I might be using the plain Xvid codec since a lot of my moves are either encoded with or are at least understood by Xvid. I know I'll miss the nice filters that made the video so nice to watch.
Old 4th April 2005
BS.Player Newbie

Default Follow-Up

I had to read some old Divx 3 files and I wanted to try ffdshow and see if it might work. I installed the October 12th 2004 release with Xvid 1.0.3 (December 12th 2004 CVS compilation) and after many nightly show watches, I still haven't had an incident of BSPlayer eating up all the CPU. If anyone has this problem, just install Xvid and it should work fine.
Old 10th April 2005
BS.player Regular User

Snowman is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same problem - after approx two hours, BSplayer starts using 99-100% of CPU.

I am NOT using ffshow.

I am pretty sure problem started after upgrading to ver 817, but it may have started with ver 812.
Old 10th April 2005
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

Hello Snowman
You cannot expect other users to be able to help you by just telling that you've got a problem without giving any additional info (other than BSPlayer's buildnumber and that you're not using ffdshow).

I can only suggest to maybe upgrade/downgrade codec-version(s)/filter(s); it maybe related to conflicting codec(s), videocard (drivers), videorendering selection, other utilities (perhaps unknowingly) used in parallel, general system capacity (hardware/software); if it really occurs after exactly same lapse of time, I would even suspect conflicts with screensaver (or energysaving) trying to step in.
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!

Tags
cpu, eats, fullscreen, long, time