Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > Bug Reports And Codecs

Bug Reports And Codecs Report BS.Player bugs here - help us to improve BS.Player even further.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 6th June 2005
BS.player Regular User

mhanor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default anormal playback rate behavior

I'll start with a question, which goes to BSPlayer's developer team:
what controls the normal and custom playback rate of a video file? the player? the video codec? the video drivers?

I have an issue related to custom playback rate of XviD video files, using the latest XviD codecs (Koepi's XviD 1.0.3 and Koepi's XviD 1.1.0 beta 2), two video players: BSPlayer (build 817) & Media Player Classic (6.4.8.2 and 6.4.8.4) and the latest official (1.04.00) and 3rd party video drivers (SFFT28&SFFT29 from 3dfxzone.it) for a standard Voodoo4 4500 AGP video card, installed on my system. I have tried several combinations of video drivers and XviD codecs (from the list above) with both video players.

It manifests like this, in both video players (BSPlayer and Media Player Classic):
- when selecting a playback rate above the normal one, nothing happens, the playback rate doesn't change, although BSPlayer's OSD displays the selected playback rate correctly.
- selecting a playback rate below the normal one results in instantaneous system reset; I must mention that the option "Automatically reboot" from "System propreties -> Advanced -> Startup and recovery" is disabled!

I also tested on another PC (different hardware configuration, Windows XP SP1, DirectX 9c, XviD 1.1.0 beta 2 with both video players), but it worked as it should.

I don't know to whom should I address this issue
I hope that a answer from a BSPlayer developer helps me decide.
Old 6th June 2005
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

As mentioned under item (4) of my Help2Help post (also titled READ THIS FIRST BEFORE POSTING) "With a video file loaded, BSPlayer will show under (Rightclick >) "Options" > "Filters" > (Advanced) what codecs/filters it uses (to be mentioned when posting items)."
Could you please check.
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 6th June 2005
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

Normally this is not the fault of the video decoder, but of the audio decoder that can't do the rate change. So, in filters list, do search for the audio decoder too.

Edit: Just tested, XviD 1.1.0 beta 2 working OK.
Audio decoder: Moonlight Odio Dekoda v 1.25m
Old 6th June 2005
BS.player Regular User

well... I'm a complete fool
I don't know why I remember that DivX video files were playing ok, but they don't, at least not all of them.

divx+mp3 -> playing ok (at least some of them)
xvid+mp3 -> not ok
divx+ac3 -> not ok
xvid+ac3 -> not ok
divx+other audio codec (don't know what codec, BSPlayer & Media Player Classic don't list it in the filters list) -> ok
xvid+the same "other audio codec" -> ok

where divx is DivX 5.2.1, xvid is XviD 1.1.0 beta 2, mp3 is MPEG Layer-3 Decoder 1.9 (build 311) and ac3 is AC3Filter 0.70b.

Here comes the fun part: after disabling the sound card, all files played correctly at custom playback rates.
Selecting "Basic acceleration" for Audio Playback, in Sound and Multimedia (or in DirectX Diagnostic Tool - same thing) resulted in correct playback at custom rates, with the sound enabled, no matter the codecs used.

My sound card is a standard sound card based on CMedia CMI8738 6ch, using the latest drivers available on windowsupdate.microsoft.com (if I remember correctly)

thanks for the help, guys...

I'm still interested in knowing what controls the normal and custom playback rate. The audio driver could trigger such a behavior? Especially the system reset... without a BSOD
Old 7th June 2005
BS.Player Master

As you can see I use one decoder for all audio streams (MP3, AC3). I will try also the playback change with AC3 files. Get back with an answer soon.
Old 12th June 2005
BS.player Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhanor
I'm still interested in knowing what controls the normal and custom playback rate. The audio driver could trigger such a behavior? Especially the system reset... without a BSOD
nobody? :(
Old 12th June 2005
BS.Player Master

1. BSPlayer have(had) some problems with hardware accelerated sound cards, such as MP3 hardware decoding.
2. CMI 8738 is not a sound card. Is just a codec that use the CPU for decoding audio streams.
3. It is the audio decoder fault, as I've mentioned before. I use BSPlayer on a wide range of hardware configurations, different audio controllers, but the same audio decoder, and that's Elecard.
Old 14th June 2005
BS.player Regular User

I have a CMI8738-based sound card... that's for sure
in my case, BSPlayer is not the only one with the problem... Media Player Classic has it, too
I have installed the same codecs on the second system, but all worked properly

And I had another system a few months ago, different sound card (creative based) and no problem at all
Old 14th June 2005
BS.Player Master

Yes, you have a sound card based on CMI 8738 chip, I've had one about 3 years ago. But it's using the CPU to do the decoding.
Old 16th June 2005
BS.player Regular User

the task of decoding de sound stream is not the audio driver's job
and in my case, the solution to the problem indicate a problem with the soundcard's drivers

Tags
anormal, behavior, playback, rate