Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > Feature Requests, Feedback And Suggestions

Feature Requests, Feedback And Suggestions Post your suggestions and feature requests here, what would you like to use in BS.Player. Any feedback is appreciated and will be reviewed by our team.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 30th November 2010
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road
Default Issues I have with BS.Player

I intend to write here an extensive post about some issues I have with BS.Player.
My configuration:
Core2Duo @ 2GHz, 2 GB DDR2@ 667, SIS Mirage 3+ integrated using 256 MB shared memory, Windows 7, 5400 rpm SATA drive. I would say enough power to play 1080p flawlessy, in terms of computing power and bandwith.
BS.PlayerPRO 2.57.1049

1. Things that doesn't need images to be explained:
a. By default, BS.Player instal aplly as default "seek by keyframes". So. I watch a movie. Put a bookmark, let's say at frame 24 (movie is 23,976 fps). I upgrade BS.Player. Play the movie from the bookmark. As it scrolls to the next keyframe, you may lose something between 1 second and 30 seconds (or even more, depending on how the file was encoded, let's say, it has keyframes at 1000 frames).
b. Codec manager starts checking for codecs if you don't press the cancel button (what am I canceling ?). If you are not conected to internet or need proxy config, it slows down the install process. You may add this feature as an option, during install -> do you want BS.Player to check for codecs, search the internet, download and install requiered codecs ? At this moment it does that (more or less, see point 4. below), without asking you. Some may consider it wrong to do that (privacy ?). And why QT splitter is not included on the list ?
Old 30th November 2010
BS.Player Master

2. Things that need images to be explained. Regarding rendering options for the image and subtitle. I will add here my preference in terms of resolution and font positioning. Internal renderer overlay (why default if EVR is default), old subtitle rendering engine. Next will come images of the same frame, using different rendering options and how they afect the image and subtitle. I will add here the images, as picture hosting sites may delete them after some time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Default.jpg (87.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 30th November 2010
BS.Player Master

2.a Same image, same font settings, different renderers. Unfortunately, as forum attachements are limited to 98 KB, resolution can't show the quality of the rendered text.
internal directdraw........................................ ....... VMR7 renderless........................................ .. VMR9 renderless
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Internal direct draw.jpg (75.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg VMR7renderless.jpg (67.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg VMR9renderless.jpg (91.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 30th November 2010
BS.Player Master

2.a EVR. Hard to see, but there is also a difference of the position relative to bottom of the video window
EVR............................................... ................DEFAULT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EVR.jpg (87.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Default.jpg (87.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 30th November 2010
BS.Player Master

2.b. Using new subtitle engine. VMR9 renderless is problematic, the other have the same problems as old engine or are good (like EVR)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2VMR9renderless.jpg (90.2 KB, 1 views)
Old 30th November 2010
BS.Player Master

3. Windows 7 support. If I recall correctly, there were no problems running multiple instances of BS.Player under win XP or to position the subtitle on the black bar. Now, which rendering works or not under windows 7 ?
And also, if you are able to run multiple instances, can you also move the subtitle to the black border under video or not ?

a. EVR doesn't work with multiple instances.
b. VMR9R, works OK with multiple instances, you can move up and down the subtitles, but as you see, there is a black border around the subtitle.
c. VMR9, works OK with multiple instances, but you can't move the subtitle, neither up, nor down.
d. VMR7R, works OK with multiple instances but can't move the subtitle, neither up, nor down.
e. VMR7, works OK with multiple instances but can't move the subtitle, neither up, nor down.
f. overlay mixer, no multiple instances, but you can move the subtitle up and down.
g. Internal renderer, overlay RGB mode1, multiple instances, can move the subtitle but the picture stutters.
h. internal renderer, RGB mode, multiple instances, can move the subtitle but the picture stutters.
i. internal renderer overlay, no multiple instances, can move subtitles.
j. internal renderer, direct draw, multiple instances, can move subtitles but picture flickers.

Final conclusion. You can run multiple instances, but there is no combination to use to be able to see, confortable, one movie, while your friends watch another movie on TV out, with subtitles on the black border.
Old 30th November 2010
BS.Player Master

4. Codec management. Atached, there is a picure of BS.Player install, after codecmanager tested for installed codecs. AC3Filter installed, Real Splitter installed, MPEG2 splitter installed (Elecard at least, I don't talk about windows 7 internal MPEG2 decoder/splitter, adobe and nero MEPG2 splitters that are also installed)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Codecs3.jpg (78.6 KB, 12 views)
Old 30th November 2010
BS.Player Master

That's it for today

Tags
issues