Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > General Talk And Support

General Talk And Support General talk and peer-to-peer support about BS.Player and other video and audio multimedia players.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 4th May 2004
E.Noid
BS.Guest

Default Why all the email fuss for a download

Getting bsplayer has been a comparably harrassing process for some time. Now you demand real email-adresses, while assuring they won't be revealed. But Id like to know your reasons for being so pushy at all in the first place, because I cant figure it out and I have no real insight into bsplayer's history. What do other users think?
Old 4th May 2004
BS.Player Newbie

proof is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Personally

Personally, I feel it is hands down the best media player I have ever used, and I don't mind having to register my e-mail to download it.

The author has done a fantastic job, and should be commended.

Thanks author of BSPlayer, whomever you may be.
Old 4th May 2004
BS.Player Newbie

bugreporter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Personally

Quote:
Originally Posted by proof
Personally, I feel it is hands down the best media player I have ever used, and I don't mind having to register my e-mail to download it.
I dont know if Id still call it the best player, but Im using partly because out of habit, partly because Im not eager to test others, and surely because it is a good one. Some bugs made me go back to 0.86 though, and when I wanted to give the newest a try, the download thing is intensified.

Quote:
The author has done a fantastic job, and should be commended.
Well, thats where I cant make a link and liked to get info on. How does them putting up obstacles help them. Definitely a nuisance to me by default, and no benefit for them that would be obvious to me, except some statistics, that they probably could as well get by counting traffic.
Old 4th May 2004
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

An e-mail address is needed to keep you informed (if you so wish) on upgrades/updates.
http://forum.bsplayer.org/viewtopic.php?p=13493#13493
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Noid
I have no real insight into bsplayer's history. What do other users think?
The fact that you're apparently relatively new to BSPlayer can - of course - not be held against it or it's creator. I would say: have e.g. a good look around in this forum and in BSPlayer's old forum so that you can get a rather good impression.
As a user I can only positively recommend you this more than excellent FREE player.
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 5th May 2004
BS.player Regular User

rulle is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not too happy about the required email myself. I don't know how many hours of my life I've wasted dealing with spam email because I was unfortunate to register in the wrong place. I've decided to trust BSplayer, but there really is no way for a stray newbie to decide if BSplayer is trustworthy or not. So the may decide not to register. And what is the point anyway to force it? Makes it look like you're harvesting valid addresses. Disclaimers don't mean anything in todays world.
Old 5th May 2004
BS.Player Newbie

drembonics is an unknown quantity at this point

it is a pain in the...!
there are other ways for building a community than forcing them to register to download! i mean the downloading part is supposed to be the hook, the honeypot, to get people into your software, why make it troublesome?
Old 7th May 2004
BS.Player Newbie

vanzan is an unknown quantity at this point

Its a crap way to distribute the software....lots of other good free software is distributed normally so why not BSPlayer??

Just give them a self destructing email address....http://www.mailinator.com
Old 7th May 2004
BS.Player Power User

trodas is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, another solution is to use payservices like mailshell to create and delete email address...

But I think that anyone can, instead of ranting, get the BSplayer and upload it elsewhere and link it as for download

I believe that the autor have problem with the amount of bandwitch the site get each time new version get out... :roll:
I thinking of making a donation for the poor person... :oops:
Old 22nd May 2004
BS.Player Newbie

DesOk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trouble with e-mail.

I have tried everything to get the download from entering my e-mail and my forum login in info , but I never receive the downloading e-mail to actually download this newest version. What am I doing wrong? I hate this. Not because they may cause me to get spam (which is always annoying), but because it does not seem to be working for me. :twisted:
Old 27th May 2004
BS.Player Newbie

beaverton is an unknown quantity at this point

I had to register 3 times under 3 different email accounts to eventually get the download.
After that aggravation I probaly had a negative view of the program and lost enthusiasm for giving it a good test.
Since there is no uninstaller for it you really have to wonder what is going on here.To be this user unfriendly makes absolutely no sense.
I dunno-something is not right here.

PS-Why is the small version of BSPlayer no longer included in the Klite codec packs?
Old 28th May 2004
BS.Player Newbie

DesOk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Download trouble.

BSPeter, how did you give them your e-mail address to get the download page to come up???? I can't find anywhere on the site to register my e-mail in order to get the download page e-mail. I would just save it before installing and if I didn't like it, I would reinstall the older version or just use the older version I have installed to view things. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Tags
download, email, fuss