Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > General Talk And Support

General Talk And Support General talk and peer-to-peer support about BS.Player and other video and audio multimedia players.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 8th September 2006
BS.player Regular User

Deadmeat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 0.86 Build 501 - Any reason not to use?

Been using this version for a considerable time now, when 1.0 first came out I disliked the interface change so didn't consider changing.

What im wondering is if there is any compelling reason not to continue using this version?

I would not consider upgrading to any of the current junkware versions, so i guess I would be limited up to 1.37. But I still can't see a reason to change.

As a side note, were there any updates to Bsplayer after 501 but before 1.0?
Old 8th September 2006
BS.Player Master

Tizio will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 0.86 Build 501 - Any reason not to use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmeat
Been using this version for a considerable time now, when 1.0 first came out I disliked the interface change so didn't consider changing.

What im wondering is if there is any compelling reason not to continue using this version?

I would not consider upgrading to any of the current junkware versions, so i guess I would be limited up to 1.37. But I still can't see a reason to change.
Well, many things have changed in these many releases, but if you don't need extra features than just play AVI files (and others without extra features) you can stay with v0.86.501 (it's a good release, it fixes a lot of annoying bugs that came with previous builds)

BSplayer was a great player already with v0.8x, so you can still continue to use it

Quote:
No, no other releases, build 501 is the last one of v0.xx series.
Old 8th September 2006
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't think this is a valid reason. Thanks to the plugin which is contained in the standard installation, all skins for 0.86 can still be used for version 1 and version 2 BSPlayer. And there are really loads of skins. Check out item (7) of my Help2Help-post.
Quote:
I would say... why don't you just give it a try?
Quote:
No, there weren't, but if you're interested in history: you can find quite a few versions of BSPlayer by following the link (in fact at ...) in the last line of item (a) under MISCELLANEOUS of my Help2Help-post: ........ You can download version 0.86 build 501 here (501 available as zip and/or as exe=install file) and here (501=zip-file) (in fact at this last site you can download lots of versions of BSPlayer).

Edit: just saw Tizio beat me in answering this post (I had to take care of something else in between and didn't check back).
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 9th September 2006
BS.player Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSPeter
I don't think this is a valid reason. Thanks to the plugin which is contained in the standard installation, all skins for 0.86 can still be used for version 1 and version 2 BSPlayer. And there are really loads of skins. Check out item (7) of my Help2Help-post.
If i remember rightly, the skin i am using didn't affect the right click menu, given that im an incredibly lazy person there was no desire to relearn certain mannerisms.

While im certain that there are many valid reasons too upgrade for many people, the expanded feature set doesn't really hold much interest for me when all I am concerned with is the rather mundane taske of watching videos :)

Thanks for the replies.
Old 9th September 2006
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

FYI: I still also have version 0.86 installed on my PC and I'm also still using it every now and then:

I quite agree that, if it is fully serving your purpose, .... well why bother and install a newer version. But, on the other hand and to be frank, in such case I wouldn't have asked it either. I'm curious which skin you're using though.

P.S.: This is my (original) Help-to-Help post for version 0.86. As you can see the last time I edited it was mid June this year, so I'm still maintaining it.
(By the way: I don't understand what you're trying to say regarding the right click menu)
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 9th September 2006
BS.Player Master

Tizio will become famous soon enough

Quote:
(By the way: I don't understand what you're trying to say regarding the right click menu)
Yes, me neither :?
Skins don't affect menu style changes, only colors can be choosen and if you are satisfied with the colors of trhe one you are using now, you can copy those settings in the INI file of any other skin you want to use.

Menu styles can be changed only with the checkbox in Skin settings window "Disable skinned menu" which, if not selected, enables the v1 skinned menu styles..

The only real difference between v0.86 and v1.xx/2.xx regarding menus, is that in v0.86 you were able to choose the order and number of elements in the menu, whilst in new version they are fixed (I miss this feature a lot :( , but if I have to choose to kkep that feature or change to new BSplayer versions.. I choose to switch to BSplayer v2!)
Old 9th September 2006
BS.player Regular User

Quote:
I quite agree that, if it is fully serving your purpose, .... well why bother and install a newer version. But, on the other hand and to be frank, in such case I wouldn't have asked it either. I'm curious which skin you're using though.

P.S.: This is my (original) Help-to-Help post for version 0.86. As you can see the last time I edited it was mid June this year, so I'm still maintaining it.
It was something of a spur of the moment remove doubt kind of question.

This is the skin im using. Slightly modified from the original to cater to a personal choice in functionality, the open button was changed to a full screen button. Done to get around the vaugly (sometimes) annoying behavour that when you double click the window it'll fullscreen but also toggle pause/play (sometimes its handy to pop a paused video back to fullscreen and play it).

Im not really able to be any more clear as to what it was that put me off 1.0+ specifically. I have this vauge memory that it was something to do with the right click menu, either a change in the order items were listed, or something of the ilk. Maybe at the time the HW Colour Controls function wasn't working(?), this in particular being a feature i use _constantly_ in the .86 build. It may even have been as simple as my skin not working and not being interested in spending the time (however minimal) to make it work given the lack of interest in the expanded feature set.

It's sort of like trying to explain why you hated a movie you saw a couple of years back but don't remember the plot too :/
Old 14th September 2006
BS.player Regular User

Rather than create a new thread on an old build, ill bump this.

Was there a problem with this build playing matroska files? Im getting an 'Unknown File Format' error and trying to sort out if this is a codec or player issue. The files seem to play fine with the current build of zoomplayer.

Is it possible bsplayer might be choking on loading the splitter? I installed the CCCP in order to try and solve this but it doesn't seem to have helped.

Reading through some oldish posts it seems the Haali splitter may have problems with BS1.3(?), would this be likely to affect a pre 1.0 build?

It's not a huge issue, there aren't many .mkv's floating about and I have a working solution with zoomplayer... it's just not the most elegant one :)

Tags
501, build, reason