Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > Bug Reports And Codecs

Bug Reports And Codecs Report BS.Player bugs here - help us to improve BS.Player even further.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 13th June 2004
BS.Player Newbie

phern is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AVI file is playing, but screen is Black

I have just installed BSPlayer on my Win2000. Somehow, when I play any avi files, no images appear (screen is black), but I have audio, and even subtitles from accompanying .srt files. Is there something I need to configure? Please help !!!

BTW, do I need to install Vobsub to get subtitles from srt files, if I use BSPlayer?
Old 13th June 2004
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

To start with the last question: No, you don't need to install VobSub to display SubRip subtitles (.srt). These are played by BSPlayer natively (without any additional program). In fact a lot of "problems" which are posted on this forum are often caused by other utilities (like VobSub).

Then, with respect to your black screen, you probably havn't the right (up-to-date version of) codec installed. I would first install DivX5.1.1 and see if that solves your black screen.
Click here for a post with a link to DivX5.1.1 codec and others.
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 13th June 2004
BS.Player Newbie

I have FFDshow & Xvid codec installed, and avi files have all along played fine with WMP. However, srt file with vobsub caused corrupted images with WMP, so I thot I'd have better luck with BSPlayer. But alas ...

When BSPlayer did not work, I did install DivX (latest ver), but it made no difference, so I uninstalled it. Also, I have uninstalled Vobsub.

Would appreciate any help you could give. Many thanks!
Old 13th June 2004
BS.Player Master

If you have a PC with a lower capacity CPU, then ffdshow indeed is a better option as compared to the proper codecs. Otherwise preferably use codecs. (In my post as linked to hereabove, I already explained that DivX codec can also be used for XviD movies.)

Did you already try different overlay settings?
(proper setting depends i.a on your graphics card)
(rightclick > Options > Preferences > Video > Video rendering)

Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 13th June 2004
BS.Player Newbie

No luck with the various overlay settings. Perhaps it's my CPU/graphics card (a rather 'old' PC I'm having). Will try borrowing another PC to run the same avi files with bsplayer & see if it works.

Many many thanks again!
Old 13th June 2004
BS.Player Master

So what CPU and graphics card do you have?
For an "older" CPU you could e.g. also try version 0.86 build 501 (16 Sep 2003) of BSPlayer.
( http://forum.bsplayer.org/viewtopic.php?p=14120#14120 )

Another idea: BSPlayer requires version 7.0 or later of DirectX.
You happen know which DirectX-version is installed on your PC?
(Maybe check through [Start] > [Run] and then type dxdiag.exe followed by [Enter].
(If it is too old just click on "DirectX" hereabove and download v.9.0b)
Old 14th June 2004
BS.Player Newbie

Default It works!

You are a gem !

My Directx was pretty old (5.something), so I installed the latest ver. No difference. Then I installed the older ver of BSPlayer, and everything works like a charm, subtitles & all !

How can i thank you enough ! God Bless!
Old 14th June 2004
BS.Player Master

Glad it worked out!
Old 17th June 2004
BS.Player Newbie

mjh is an unknown quantity at this point

I get black screen from time to time too with players using overlay. Especially if I use wmr and then switch to overlay later on. The trick in bsplayer is to go to color controls and click on "default" cos somehow the brightness etc have all gotten turned down, hence the screen is black. I used to curse that for a long time until I found the solution by accident. Don't know if this is common knowledge but couldn't find anything to solve the problem at the time. Of course that's just one particular case causing a black screen while the audio plays without problems. Cheers!

Tags
avi, black, playing, screen