Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > General Talk And Support

General Talk And Support General talk and peer-to-peer support about BS.Player and other video and audio multimedia players.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10th January 2005
snowman53
BS.Guest

Default Determice Which Codec BSplayer is Using

I have BSPlayer installed on two computers. On one, BSPlayer crashes when I try to play a mpg files. WinMedia Player plays them, so apparently the codec needed is installed, but BSPlayer is not finding it.

BSPlayer plays them fine on the other computer, so apparently it sees the correct codec.

How can one determine which codec BSPlayer is trying to use & once that is known, how can I tell it to use the "correct" one.

Thanks!
Old 10th January 2005
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

Probably you need an MPEG2 decoder on the computer the file is not playing. On .avi files, BSPlayer crash with the apropiate message: "unknown format DivX (or XviD)", so you know what codec is missing.
Old 10th January 2005
BS.Player Newbie

snowman53 is an unknown quantity at this point

I presume that a MPEG2 codec is already installed since other players can play the file and the list of codecs is identical between the two computers -one of which can play mpg files & one of which can not.

I have uninstalled & re-installed BSPlayer with the same result.

This leads me to conclude that BSPlayer on the problem computer is trying to use the wrong codec.

So I am hoping someone can tell me how to determine which codec BSPlayer is trying to use & how to tell it to use a different one.
Old 10th January 2005
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman53
...the list of codecs is identical between the two computers -one of which can play mpg files & one of which can not.
How did you check that? If you didn't use GSpot please check again with GSpot. Just install and select View > Installed Codecs > Video.
For a link to download Gspot look in the 2nd item of my Help-to-Help post (link hereunder).
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 10th January 2005
BS.Player Newbie

snowman53 is an unknown quantity at this point

From Gspot, VideoInspector & a look at the codec list in Windows devices.

Gspot can render the mpg files on the problem computer & Media player can play them. BSPlay crashes.

But playes them on the other computer!
Old 10th January 2005
BS.Player Master

Windows Media Player has an integrated MPEG2 decoder. BSPlayer requires an external decoder.
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 10th January 2005
BS.Player Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman53
Gspot can render the mpg files on the problem computer
What is the info (on both computers) given by GSpot if after "Rendering Successful" you 'click for details' at the bottom of GSpot's window?
If you click on filter/codec-name additional detail is available such as i.a. its version, which may be of interest to know.

By the way: while you're at it, what is your DirectX version?
Old 11th January 2005
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

Maybe he is using FFDshow on the second computer as MPEG2 decoder. And is a bit outdated.
Maybe posting the error will be a good ideea ? Something with ffdshow.ax ?
Old 11th January 2005
BS.player Regular User

Snowman is an unknown quantity at this point

The error message - "BSPlayer.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the progam."

Both computers have the same list of codec's installed. However the order in the list is different.
Both computers have directx Ver 9 (latest update).
Both computers have ffdshow installed.
ffdshow is used on the problem computer to convert the mpg's to avi's, so I don't believe it is the problem.

Using Gspot to render a sample mpg both computers report;
Video: MPEG2_VIDEO
(S) --> MainConcept MPEG Splitter --> MainConcept MPEG Video Decoder --> (R)
Audio: MPEG1AudioPayload
(S) --> MainConcept MPEG Splitter --> MPEG Audio Decoder --> (R)

Same version of MainConcept Mpeg Splitter is installed on both computers & confirmed in Gspot.

Both computers use (different) ATI video boards.

Tags
codec, determice