Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > General Talk And Support

General Talk And Support General talk and peer-to-peer support about BS.Player and other video and audio multimedia players.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 27th May 2009
BS.Player Newbie

Joskapista is on a distinguished road
Question Transferring the settings

I have more computers, and also they need to be reinstalled now and then. It's pretty annoying to configure evertything on all of them, so I transfer the configurations whenever I can. But I can't find the ini files of the BS.Player. So where are it's settings stored, and how can I transfer them?
Old 27th May 2009
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

When you install BSPlayer it ask you where to store setting files. You can choose between install folder and aplication data folder in documents and settings.
Old 27th May 2009
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

Maybe read this thread:
http://forum.bsplayer.com/answered-s...html#post36381
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 27th May 2009
BS.Player Newbie

Thanks, I chacked the files the other thread mentioned, and the bsplayer.xml seems to be the right one for me. However it conains some data that will be irrelevant on my other computer (eg. the data of the previous films I watched). I'm not sure if it will couse problems, but I think I'd better give it a try and inform you about the results.
Old 27th May 2009
BS.Player Master

Yes, like I also wrote inthere, "bsplayer.xml" is the decisive file.
You could (before copying/transferring) "Disable history (recent files)" first.
(rightclick >) Options > Preferences > General > [General settings] (5th checkbox)
[In fact maybe "uncheck/deselect" both "Remember"-boxes in that same window as well.]
You can also clear history under
(rightclick >) Recent files > Clear history
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 29th May 2009
BS.Player Newbie

Thanks again for your help. I did what you suggested, then copied the file (bsplayer.xml). (The remaining files mentioned in the other thread contained no or irrelevant information, that's why I didn't copy them too.)
By copying it, I managed to transfer a few settings, but unfortunately I still had to configure the most things manually - wich is quite a pain in the a**, becouse there are so many things to configure.

Now let me ask, couldn't you make BSPlayer to store its settings in an .ini file just like any normal program? That would make the users life much easier!
Old 30th May 2009
BS.Player Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joskapista View Post
....unfortunately I still had to configure the most things manually - wich is quite a pain in the a**, becouse there are so many things to configure.
Could you give a few examples please?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joskapista View Post
....couldn't you make BSPlayer to store its settings in an .ini file just like any normal program? That would make the users life much easier!
Don't know if it would really make a difference if settings are saved in .ini-files as opposed to .xml-files. It's not the format that does it, but really what's contained in the file, I would say. Anyhow, that would be an issue for the "Feature Requests, Feedback And Suggestions"-forum. So if you really think it would/could make a difference, suggest it there.

P.S.:
By the way: I'm just a BS.Player-user like you, I'm also a translator, but I'm no programmer, nor a member of BS.Player-team (so I certainly can't make BS.Player do anything, other than what its creators have thought up and built already).
Old 31st May 2009
BS.Player Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSPeter View Post
Could you give a few examples please?
Actually I didn't configure everything yet, becouse I was a bit tired by that time I installed the player on my other computer, so I can't say all. But I sure had to configure everything by the subtitles, for example.

Quote:
Don't know if it would really make a difference if settings are saved in .ini-files as opposed to .xml-files. It's not the format that does it, but really what's contained in the file, I would say.
You're right, the information does matter, not the format. The only problem about the .xml is, that if one doesn't looks careful enough (becouse he looks for the usual files), he can easyly miss it. But the stored information semms to be also too few: it would be much better if everything would be stored in one file instead of being scattered over the install folder.

Quote:
By the way: I'm just a BS.Player-user like you, I'm also a translator, but I'm no programmer, nor a member of BS.Player-team (so I certainly can't make BS.Player do anything, other than what its creators have thought up and built already).
Well, sorry then, I thought you are a member becouse you are a mod.

Tags
settings, transferring