Official BS.Player forums

Official BS.Player forums (http://forum.bsplayer.com/)
-   BSPlayer for Android (http://forum.bsplayer.com/bsplayer-android/)
-   -   Video aspect ratio (http://forum.bsplayer.com/bsplayer-android/20757-video-aspect-ratio.html)

techno79 18th February 2013 02:43 PM

Video aspect ratio

I'm using a Nexus 4 with BS Player and really want to make the most of the screen size. Depending on the video I prefer to:
1. Maximise video to fill screen, maintaining aspect ratio but with no cropping (i.e. black bars at the top and bottom or left and right).
2. Maximise video to fill screen, maintaining aspect ratio with cropping (i.e. cropping at top and bottom or left and right).

The full screen toggle button seems to stretch the video to fill the screen which looks really odd.

Would it be possible for this button to cycle through the various modes to give users the most choice. Possibly also allow the user to setup a default option in the settings which is the one that is used when starting a video.

Many thanks

hardnrg 23rd February 2013 07:23 PM

Bit of extra info on this...

I also have a Nexus 4 and am experiencing the same issue with BS Player. Here are some more details on the problems (as attempting to take a screenshot activates the Android navigation bar and changes the view).

Problem: scaling when playing 16:9 content (e.g. 1280x720) in landscape view

The problem seems to be that BS Player automatically resizes the video to the app's client display area with the soft-button navigation bar (back, home, recent apps) in view. So, maybe 90% of the full 1280 pixel width, with the video left-aligned on the screen. When tapping the video until the navigation bar hides, the size of the video remains the same but shifts over to become centre-aligned, resulting in a black border around the entire video, left/right as well as above/below.

Obviously, a 1280x720 video (or any 16:9 resolution) playing on a 1280x768 display (or any other 16:10) should fill the width, and have black letterboxing above and below the video.

When pressing the zoom button, the video maintains the aspect ratio but it resizes the height to 768 pixels, and over-scales the width beyond 1280 pixels, cropping the left and right sides of the video.

Suggestions for corrective action

The resizing should be changed to scale the video based on the aspect ratio of the video and the aspect ratio of the entire display area (ignoring the soft-button navigation bar).

Additional related issue

With the video scaled to fill (cropped sides) the screen, when tapping the screen and the navigation bar appears, it overlays the BS Player options button at the top right of the screen, making it basically impossible to press the button unless you toggle the zoom out to the "border around the entire video" size.

Hope that helps, I may have over explained it, but it just seems like a navigation bar / app client display area issue.

ROM info: In case it makes a difference, I'm running AOKP JB MR1 Build 2 (4.2.1) and the most recent stock gapps (1212)

hardnrg 28th February 2013 11:40 PM

Fixed in latest update!

Just want to say thanks for fixing this issue in the latest update :)

Ico-man 1st March 2013 12:44 PM

:rolleyes: