Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > Feature Requests, Feedback And Suggestions

Feature Requests, Feedback And Suggestions Post your suggestions and feature requests here, what would you like to use in BS.Player. Any feedback is appreciated and will be reviewed by our team.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 18th July 2005
BS.Player Newbie

root is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TV-jukebox like functionality

I've often thought it would be totally cool to have my own Closed Circuit TV channel running in my home. It would play (possibly stream) a playlist of video clips from a dedicated server PC to my TV screen (maybe to several TVs in different rooms) and I could choose it as any other TV channels. It would require minimum amount of interaction, and would play the videos autonomously 24/7. It could play cartoons, music videos, adult videos or anything else one could wish for.

I've thought what kind of software would be needed and i think BSplayer is a good video clips player and could be a good starting point. But to make this experience more TV-like, it would need quite a lot of added functions.

* Advanced playlist management. The core functionality is there - you can build a playlist, shuffle it, play the clips etc. What I would totally need for my CCTV: a function for time management.

For example, I would decide that every day 9PM to 10PM is the Tom & Jerry cartoons time. (Or just every Wednesday or whatever). Then BSplayer would stop playing the main playlist, and load a separate playlist or better yet, generate a playlist for this time zone using clips from one directory where the Tom & Jerry clips reside. It would shuffle those clips, if so desired or sort using name, file type, file date etc. Then play. At 10 PM it would end playing the T & J playlist and go back to the main playlist, continuing the last clip where interrupted or taking the next clip - all according to parameters you can enter to the playlist. Or start playing the next "Special hour".
Or I could decide that at every top of the hour a particular clip is to be played ("Station signature clip" etc). So it's advanced playlist management dealing with time zones, parent playlists, embedded "daughter" playlists etc.

* Anther thing: it would be cool to overlay "station logos", announcements or whatever on the currently playing video clip. It would mean the ability to overlay either a bitmap (jpg, gif, whatever) or another video clip on the current video. The bitmap or clip could have a "chroma key" color - a green, blue etc which would be removed, so that only desired logo or anything else would be visible over the current playing video clip.

Technically implementing this should not be much different from the display of subtitles (maybe overlaying another video could be problematic?). How about gif animations or bitmap series to emulate a moving logotype for example?

And of course, one would need the playlist functionality for displaying such bitmaps, tied to current time (computer clock), or specific clips (strings in clip/directory names).

* Every TV channel sometimes displays the schedule for the day. This would mean implementing a specific "clip" - a background videoclip or bitmap with background mp3 playing, with the current playlist for defined time zone displayed as overlay (for example, from current time to 12PM). Of course, for such displaying the playlist should be able to calculate the playing times of the clips, to display the scheduling. For most usual formats like avi or mpg, this should be no problem. It would need the ability of choosing fonts, size, displaytime etc like for subtitles.

* The last thing in my mind right now: how about some "Breaking news" for my CCTV channel? For that I would need the ability to implement reading rss feeds from desired sites, and putting the headlines on screen (as subtitles?), combined with specific bitmaps and muting the current clip and playing specific short mp3. Or, if so desired, playing specific clip and then displaying this. And then resuming the current clip.

Maybe this is all too far from the average BSplayer user needs, but I think that those functionalities should be not too hard to implement and would make this player totally even cooler thing than now. I would pay for the professional version, if it would contain those things.

Or maybe this kind of player already exists and i've just not heard of it?

Tags
functionality, tvjukebox