Official BS.Player forums

Official BS.Player forums (http://forum.bsplayer.com/)
-   General Talk And Support (http://forum.bsplayer.com/general-talk-support/)
-   -   How to play subtitles? (http://forum.bsplayer.com/general-talk-support/2120-how-play-subtitles.html)

nimbus 12th July 2003 01:53 PM

How to play subtitles?

I got an avi which has another idx and a sub-file. I just downloaded the latest BSplayer and I can't seem to play the subtitles.
I load the movie, load subtitles but the option to enable subtitles is still not available. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to install anything else?

TIA

adicoto 12th July 2003 07:12 PM

The sub file is maybe wrong. How does it look like when you open it with notepad ?

eloj 13th July 2003 12:12 AM

That subtitle format is not supported by bsplayer. You'll need to install DirectVobSub, but that opens a can of worms IMHO because now you'll get double subtitles on formats supported by bsplayer, unless you deactivate subtitling in either one of the programs.

I really wish there was a way to tell both bsplayer and directvobsub which format they would activate on. That way you could setup it up so that you didn't have to disable either/or. Personally, I prefer the bsplayer subtitles, but as you've noticed it doesn't support at least one popular format.

It is however possible to convert between formats, but that takes time and effort, especially if OCRing is involved.

nimbus 13th July 2003 03:42 PM

Well, I cannot load the .sub file into a texteditor. Well I can, but it's not text-format.

The solution for trouble with two programs is simple: BSplayer must be able to read those .sub-files as well. :-)

I'll try DirectVobSub for now. Thanks guys.

nimbus 13th July 2003 04:01 PM

Hmm. Installed DirectVobSub. BSplayer now let's me enable/disable subtitles. As well as DirectVobSub. I've been switching back and forth and tried any combination - no subtitles visible.

When I use WMP and DirectVobSub I see subtitles! So what's the problem for BSplayer?!

TIA

adicoto 13th July 2003 04:02 PM

If you can't see it as a text file then is not a valid subtitle file.

nimbus 13th July 2003 06:54 PM

Excuse me, but did you read my post?

I can see the subtitles with Media Player, but not with BSplayer. Since BSplayer doesn't recognize the format I tried DirectVobSub ... but this aint working either.

:(

adicoto 13th July 2003 07:55 PM

Yes, this is a smil subtitle, created only, and only for win mediaplayer.

nimbus 14th July 2003 08:07 AM

Any chance to convert them?

Do you know if they are graphical or textbased?

Thanks.

adicoto 19th July 2003 06:44 PM

Sorry for the delay but I made some research.
So, this is how it works:
the idx and the sub file are a part of the DVD subtitle.
The subtitle is stored as a picture, in the sub file.
To use the file you need to rip the subtitle from there.
I used SubRip to do that.
It's a OCR based subtitle ripper.
It recognizes the fonts from the picture file and save them as a .srt file.
Sometimes it asks you what letter is displayed. Answer carefuly.