Official BS.Player forums

Official BS.Player forums (http://forum.bsplayer.com/)
-   General Talk And Support (http://forum.bsplayer.com/general-talk-support/)
-   -   Problem while trying to open AVI files (http://forum.bsplayer.com/general-talk-support/3326-problem-while-trying-open-avi-files.html)

Infini 30th November 2003 12:23 PM

Problem while trying to open AVI files

I am trying to open some AVI files from bsplayer latest eddition but i get the message "Can't open file". I have installed coda codec pack. I can play these files with crystal player or media player classic. Any help?

liquidmetal63 30th November 2003 10:44 PM

ASF disguised as AVI?

Okay, I've had this problem before too. It turns out that the files I couldn't open were actually of type ASF, just renamed as AVIs. Windows Media Player can open ASF files, but not BSPlayer, and I don't know why. Maybe they need a different codec or something. If you open the file in WMP, does it tell you that the file is of the wrong format or anything like that? If so, it's very likely that the file you have is of a different type, one that BSPlayer can't open. What can you do about this? I don't know. If you find out, let me know. :-)

liquidmetal63 2nd December 2003 03:53 PM

Guess I was wrong

I just installed the newest version of BSPlayer (Build 803), along with ffdshow. I've had no problems so far, even with files that I know are of type ASF but named with an extension of AVI. Oh well, there goes my theory. I'm out of ideas now. Sorry. :?

infini 5th December 2003 04:23 PM

I tried to open these files with media player as you said, but it did'n work. Bsplayer and media player do't open the filew, while crystal player and media player classic do!

adicoto 5th December 2003 08:17 PM

Probably this is an quick time or real media file. When MPC open the file search for the filters it uses to play the file and post here.

BSPeter 5th December 2003 09:47 PM

Find out what type of video it concerns and whether you've got the codecs installed on your system. You can use e.g. GSpot or AviCodec to do that; see 2nd item of my Help to Help post. (Press on the link hereunder)
:wink:

infini 6th December 2003 12:08 PM

If the codecs were not installed, i do'n think that crystal player or media player classic would open the files. I think the problem is maybe related with the association of the codecs.

adicoto 6th December 2003 01:12 PM

For example, MPC can play QT files using it's own decoder, on wich neither WMP nor BSP can't cant get acces.
So, if you can, please post what I asked you. Thank you.

infini 7th December 2003 11:35 PM

I just installed Windows XP in another hard disk, installed coda codec pack. AVI files are played without any problems in media player except one movie also in avi