Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > General Talk And Support

General Talk And Support General talk and peer-to-peer support about BS.Player and other video and audio multimedia players.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 24th February 2004
BS.Player Newbie

dadi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default WMV Performance Issues - a BUG ? and some questions

Hi,
I have a few questions about the way bsplayer allocates Overlays and DirectDraw surfaces.

1) Trying to play the Coral reef Adventure (download from Microsoft at:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...tShowcase.aspx)
I notice that the 1280x720 sample works better than in any other player - even Microsoft's Windows Media player is beaten by far. The allocated surface as reported by bsplayer is YUY2 DR Overlay.
When Video Acceleration is set to None in Windows Media PLayer (Tools=>Options=>Performance...) bsplayer and Windows Media Player perform about the same.

I am missing something here probably as with video acceleration enabled - all things work worst than without it.

2) Bsplayer 1.00 RC1 build 805 won't correctly display 1440x1280 WMV (The Same Coral Reef Adventure.wmv from microsoft) on my machine.
The surface reported by bsplayer is YUY2-Overlay (This time - the "DR" is missing) - and I only see crossed lines as if the pitch of the surface was wrongly interpreted by bsplayer.
Windows Media player - correctly displays the movie - altough it is not able to keep up with the video.

In all 2 cases the filters in the filter graph are:
a) Source Filter (implemented inqasf.dll)- original Microsoft
b) WMV Video Decoder (DMO)
c) WMV Audio Decoder (DMO)
d) Default DirectSound (Renderer) Device

Now I don't see any Video Renderer in the graph which leads me to the ideea that bsplayer implements it's own video renderer. Is this correct ?
If yes - I suppose it uses an overlay surface to put the movie in it.

Probably in my case the created overlay surface doesn't meet the overay requirements for my graphic card ( GeForce 2 MX 400 - 64 MB SDRAM)(1440x1280 movie).

I coded myself a small piece of software that draws the WMV in a Direct3D texture on a Direct3D surface where I get almost smooth video - but then audio gets very choppy. Why Direct3D ? Cause I want to be able to turn the video with 90 or 270 degrees.

Is there anything special that should be done in order to keep the sound smoothly with the video when playing high res movies ? (processor in my small app with the 720 sample is loaded at about 88% CPU 2GHz)

If any of you guys could give me some directions here I will appreciate it a lot:
a) best technique to renderer media content (high res) with 90 and 270 live turned frames (possibly some alpha blending also) (Overlays, D3D, etc) ??

b) Is there anything special needed to keep the audio smooth - it gets choppy for me even at 1280x720 ?

c) To bad that I cannot check the 1080 samples on Bsplayer as it will probably not work on my machine at 2GHz - but the gap between it and Windows Media Player is relevant in this case - I still hear de sound and frame drops are somewhow intuitive when you look at the bsplayer window).

Thanks,
Adrian

Tags
issues, performance, questions, wmv