Official BS.Player forums

Official BS.Player forums (http://forum.bsplayer.com/)
-   General Talk And Support (http://forum.bsplayer.com/general-talk-support/)
-   -   AVIcodec searches betatester (http://forum.bsplayer.com/general-talk-support/485-avicodec-searches-betatester.html)

tatif69 13th September 2002 03:18 PM

AVIcodec searches betatester

AVIcodec is a tool I wrote to analyse movies files ( AVI, Real, Ogg, Mpeg)
and to gives a lots of technical information on them,
particularly the video & audio codecs and if they are supported by the system. It recommends BSPLAYER as the recommended player.

I will appreciate if you can test if and give me your feedback :
You can download the current beta version 0.9 on http://avicodec.duby.info/

Thanks

xlv600 24th September 2002 01:20 PM

Thanks Philippe, it seems to be exactly the tool I was looking for. Really a GOOD job. I've downloaded v0.9

Here are my first impressions
+ It installs itself the right way, and launches from the right-click context menu.
+ It detects both audio streams of my nandub's AVI
+ It detects the bitrates for all streams (Yet, I've not checked the accuracy from my logs, I'll tell you latter)
+ It can recurse subdirs
+ each movie is coted with an icon for no Audio, or OK and NOK, depending if the codec is detected or not.
+ it can record the extracted data in a text file.
+ I love the very detailed informations extracted.
+ the columns of the results list can be sorted, displayed columns can be customized

But:
- Checked options should be saved for next call.
- DX50 fourcc coded movies are checked as NOK, but DIVX is installed.
- No way to detect wich codec from DivX4.0 to 5.02 with pro features.
- For duration, I would like to have the cents too (frame precision), it would help for edition.
- I had to drop an AVI in the root of my HDisk and select it to be able to recurse...
- If I don't check 'clear list before select', then I get:
Access violation 0x401FB4 in avicodec.exe. Read of address 011A.
- Once checked it works in a subs containing more than 70 AVI (1.8GB).
But when I recurse the parent directory (it should detect 143 AVI for 40GB), I get quite immediatly a list of 79 files (including the previous one)recursed from 6 dirs and an other Access violation 0x4020D2 ...read at 0001.
On an other disk containing 107 AVI (67GB) in their subdirs, It freezes about 25s and I get a list of 5 files from the root and 4 subdirs and an other Access violation 0x404CD3 ... read at 131000 (why so far?.

(I'm running a fresh XT Pro SP1, DivX5.02 and WinDVD are the only codec added to Windows)

xlv600 24th September 2002 09:41 PM

:D After looking at my logs it appears that both Video and Audio bitrates are accurate. (Tested only with DivX 3,4,5 and mp3 ABR and mp3 CBR).

:cry: In the main window. When a codec Video codec is unknown, the Web link associated to movie data doesn't launch BSplayer web site but open the current dir in Explorer.

:cry: I've found 23 AVI that cause Access violation. They were muxed with a specific version of Nandub, modified par BST2k (itself), in order to edit the Audio streams label. (Fran?§ais & English is more convenient than Stream1 & Stream2, isn't it?)

:wink: The debug option seemed to be inoperant to dump the header, in fact it is and a 64kB file is created in the movie directory.
Do you want me to send you that header?

avicodec 26th September 2002 02:41 PM

I'm happy to see a real betatester here, moreover a french one !

To give you some answers :
- save checked option : good idea, I will add it
- DX50 NOK but installed : in fact there is no VFW codec, but a DirectShow filter for it, I will add DirectShow support in 1.0 and this problem should be fixed
- Dectect Divx 4 / 5 pro : I don't know on which element I can grab this information ?
- Duration in cent : I can try to do it
- Select a drive unit or a directory : why not, maybe not in 1.0
- Access violation when Clear is unchecked : a real bug, should be fixed easily
- Access violation with big list : someone already told me about this problem, but I don't know where it happens, I don't have such big list for debugging ...
- Web link fails : I will check that
- AVI that cause Access violation : please generate header from one of those file and send it to me : avicodec@duby.info (in french...)

See you soon ...

xlv600 26th September 2002 04:22 PM

In fact BST's Nandub muxed movies generate an "EAccess violation", I tried to monitor files access with sysinternales FileMon but it didn't help so much. I mail you aa AVI header.

xlv600 1st October 2002 01:44 PM

Sorry for the delay.

Great!
Many thanx 4 your upgrade, it solves the Bst's Nandub muxed AVI issue. I could retrieve a full HD filled with 53GB of DivX movies (146 files) with *no error* !
In fact it's quite easy to retrieve a full HDisk, you just have to launch Avicodec, check all but the debug options and select a HDisk, with a fake 'toto' filename.

Access violation
Unfortunately, I found that when recursing directories that contain files which filename have no extension AviCodec sends a funny Access violation 0048374E in module 'avicodec.exe'. Read of address 00000001. I guess it tried to open the file as a directory.
On my 2nd DivX HDisk, I got this error, and it prevented me to retrieve all the movies, I missed a third of them in the result list, and the missed one seemed OK on a file by file basis.

Request
I've tested the export feature. It's OK. But I would have some requests for further enhancement:
- You should add the FileDate information to the collection.
- Is it correct that audio codec Id is different for stream 1 and 2?
MP3(1) = 55 MP3(2) = 85
DivX(1) = 161 DivX(2) = 353
- Despite they appear in a file by file basis, Audio stream 2 fields are missing in the file export (in the GUI columns too!), a2Name and a2Url fields have both the same meaningless value (about 1e6).
- Data are not formated, I mean sizes unit is Byte, times unit is Secondes,video width and height are separated fields ... It may be a good choice as accuracy is preserved and data can be computed, but the user needs some Excel skills to exploit the results (for me that's OK ;-P).

Caution:
You've changed the page pointed by the link you provide. It should be http://p.duby.free.fr/avicodec.htm but this page is outdated with it's v0.8 version.

I know you prefer french, but more people can read english :(

:arrow: You've written a great app, you should upgrade your web side and give this app a wider audience.