Official BS.Player forums

Official BS.Player forums (http://forum.bsplayer.com/)
-   General Talk And Support (http://forum.bsplayer.com/general-talk-support/)
-   -   Rendering quality compared to TV (http://forum.bsplayer.com/general-talk-support/5687-rendering-quality-compared-tv.html)

holmes0 20th October 2004 10:20 AM

Rendering quality compared to TV

Hi,

When I play an avi on my TV (using a divX stand-alone player) the perceived quality is always better than on a computer screen. I have heard that the reason for this is, paradoxically, that the computer screens are better than TV screens and shows all the flaws of the avi (due to the encoding). A TV on the contrary smooths these flaws.
So my question is the following, is it possible to add a filter to BSplayer (or any other video player) so that it tends to behave like a TV and that the perceived quality is better?

Thanks.

adicoto 20th October 2004 04:30 PM

As you have said yourself, paradoxally, you can't have a better image on monitor because it is a much better video displayer than the TV.
But, FFDshow have many options for post processing and DivX decoder has even a "Film effect" slider.
The only way to increase the quality is to use better quality movies.

buletov 20th October 2004 09:23 PM

same thing when you use tv-out...looks much nicer than on monitor

the real thing is that you watch your tv from a much grater distance
than your monitor. try looking in a monitor from a 2 meter distance
and the pic will be smoother... :roll:

LSDSkunk 21st October 2004 05:47 PM

or try looking at a tv from 1 meter / 3 feet

Dennis_Olof 21st October 2004 11:00 PM

Well

Hmm a filter wont do any good probably.

The main reason why say, VCD, SVCD or DivX and so on, looks better on TV is.

1. Most of the time, the TV is not in your face, like the monitor, and the reduction in quality cant be seen, or you dont notice it that much.

2. The "dot mask" of the TV is not as nice or good as on a computer monitor, and the picture is smoothed out on a TV and your eyes fills in the "gaps" better. On a monitor you can directly see how bad the video is.

3. The DVD quality is verry high compared to DviX, XviD etc but is it that important, I dont feel that since the main reason for watchig something it you want to see the "big picture" or the story of a TV-show, movie etc.

If the picture aint great, so what, remember VHS. It's just a matter of getting used to the quality/format or what you are watching.

P.S. I read this not so long ago, digital cameras not are up to about 5 milon pixels or is it megapixels, dont remember. The human eye has about 125 million pixels , so it's at lest 20-30 times better than the best digital camera out there.

Allso it has allmost a wide angle or 160 degrees "periferal viewing" or whats its called.

:]

buletov 22nd October 2004 08:06 PM

btw human eye has a variable pixel density per square mm...

Dennis_Olof 22nd October 2004 08:13 PM

Matrix ?

Oki buletov I didnt know that, hehe that sounds verry advanced ;)

HEHE sound like variabel bitrate lol ;)

Way to complex to understand how it works, and especialy how a picture is precived in the mind hehe. I donno, just works I guess ;)

We need a new form of entertainment, maby the Matrix would be a nice way to liv ?