Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > General Talk And Support
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Talk And Support General talk and peer-to-peer support about BS.Player and other video and audio multimedia players.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 7th May 2007
BS.Player Newbie

SpyJoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BSPlayer: aspect ratio and window size question

I just wanted to ask if it's possible for BSPlayer to keep the original aspect ratio every time a movie is opened.

For example: when I open a movie with wide resolution the aspect ratio changes to full screen and some parts of movie get cut on the left and right side of the screen. In order for it to display properly I have to change the ratio to original every time I open a movie. I know there is a shortcut (SHIFT+1) to do that quick, but still it's a annoying and maybe there is a better way...

I tried changing options but didn't find anything and even made it worse. Now when I open a movie, the window size (when not in full screen) is always small. Before if I made the window size bigger it would stay the same size when I open it next time. Can anyone tell me how to change it back?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks...
Old 7th May 2007
BS.player Regular User

artam is on a distinguished road

There is a great option to run each avi with its own settings, just write the ini file (*.bsi) for each of your movies and play it in the bsplayer instead of *.avi

The *.bsi file is plain text file, see documentation.
For instance this might solve your requirement:

[Main]
Version=2.00

[Movie]
Title=My Great Wide Movie Avi File
Directory=.
FName=movie.avi

[Options]
FullScreen=1
PanScan=0
Aspect=16:9
Old 7th May 2007
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

Rightclick->video->keep aspect ratio should do the trick.
Old 7th May 2007
BS.Player Newbie

@ artam

I have lots of movies in the same folder and creating one more file for each movie will create a mess and it will also take take, so this is not for me...

@ adicoto

I did that, but it didn't change anything...

However the window size problem is solved now, but now I have another wierd thing happening. Every time I open any movie, the window is always positioned in the top left corner. Usually it was always positioned in the middle of the screen...

And also I just noticed another wierd thing, maybe even a bug. I only get it for some movies. When the movie gets to the end and starts playing from the start again, it get stretched and 1/3 of whole movie gets cut on the right side. Not matter how I resize the window it's always cut. Even if I press Stop and Play again, it's still cut. However when I close it and open it again, it's fine...
Old 7th May 2007
BS.Player Newbie

All problems solved... :D

After searching this forum for Aspect Ratio and reading few dozen threads I found solution for my problems...

What I had to do was to change options for playlist. It's a bit confusing why they even exist. I changed both boxes to: original and default and now all movies r always opened in Original aspect ration...

I also found solution for window positioning. In options there is an option to do that. I had to untick "Dont remember window positioning"...

Thanks for all the help...
Old 7th May 2007
BS.Player Master

Tizio will become famous soon enough

I almost finished my reply to you, then updated the BSplayer page and saw you already solved your problem :P

Good job with the forum search!!
Old 7th May 2007
BS.Player Power User

J7N is an unknown quantity at this point

Some definitions:
The original aspect ratio means the unaltered picture, displayed at the size it was encoded.
Other aspect rations stretch or squeeze the picture (resample it), if the AR doesn't match original.

The easiest way to switch aspect ratio on and off is to use ffdshow to decode all video formats. When you want to display the video as the author intended, choose Overlay mixer as output. To display the video in it's original aspect ration, clear the Overlay mixer checkbox.

Tags
aspect, ratio, size