Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > General Talk And Support

General Talk And Support General talk and peer-to-peer support about BS.Player and other video and audio multimedia players.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 15th September 2007
BS.Player Newbie

concerned807 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The best playback solution for x264/h264 on BSPlayer?

How well these x264/h264 and Matroska splitter work with BSPlayer?

For video playback, I have Koepi's XviD/DivX codec installed and BSPlayer. However lately I am seeing lots of movies are encoded in x264/h264 format with extension .MKV.

Is anyone using the below codec combo with the lastest BSPlayer build and getting good result?
I am very conservative about installing codecs. I install only those needed and on-demand.

Already installed:
- BSPlayer 2.23 Pro
- Koepi codec xvid divx 1.1.2

Plan to install for the purpose of x264/h264 video playback:

- Decoders:
DeathTheSheep x264 VfW United 23JUN2007 (Freeware)
or
- CoreAVC Pro v1.5.0.0
- DirectShow splitter: Haali Matroska Splitter 03JUN2007 (Freeware)

Second, I've read BSPlayer 2.xx had with comparability prob elm with Haali Matroska Splitter. Has this problem been fixed in the latest BSPlayer 2.23.953 build?

Thanks for advising! :)
Old 15th September 2007
BS.Player Power User

J7N is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The best playback solution for x264/h264 on BSPlayer?

x264, either VFW or commandline is needed only if you intend to make H.264 encoded videos. It is not needed for decoding.

I'm afraid that no matter what BSPlayer bugs are still there, Haali Media Splitted will soon be the only choice. Gabest's splitter is no longer updated and more and more features of Matroska are unsupported.

If you are planning to watch those extremely high bitrate videos (> 4 MBit/s) that are now getting popular, CoreAVC is the only choice.

[rant]Go, Hi definition, Go! (even if you are badly transcoded, blocky, and require monster computers to play back)[/rant]
Old 15th September 2007
BS.Player Newbie

concerned807 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for clearing things up :)

Quote:
x264, either VFW or commandline is needed only if you intend to make H.264 encoded videos. It is not needed for decoding.
Anyone knows whether or not VFW is being under active development? Their site seems to be pretty quiet and link to the forum is dead right now.

Quote:
I'm afraid that no matter what BSPlayer bugs are still there, Haali Media Splitted will soon be the only choice. Gabest's splitter is no longer updated and more and more features of Matroska are unsupported.
How well BSPlayer works with Haali Splitter is my foremost concern. By "bugs" in BSPlayer, how serious bugs are you talking about? Is the combo of BSPlayer and Haali still a feasible solution currently? I'd love to hear about how the BSPlayer is planning to address the bugs......

Quote:
If you are planning to watch those extremely high bitrate videos (> 4 MBit/s) that are now getting popular, CoreAVC is the only choice.
Yes precisely the reason why I am trying to get started with x264. I will check CoreAVC out.

Again thanks! :D
Old 16th September 2007
BS.Player Power User

J7N is an unknown quantity at this point

It is not considered wise to use x264 via the Video For Windows interface. Most people use the command line version, optionally with a graphical frontend. There are tons of frontends to choose from, most however require the NET Framework.

Some Haali+Bs bugs i've encountered:
- Can't switch to proper fullscreen and back without crashing. Bug will not bother you if you have a flat panel display, or you are watching a BluRay that's gotta be downscaled anyway (1920 pixels wide).
- Can't toggle subtitles. Some people have reported that subtitles don't work at all. I can't confirm this.
- A bit odd audio stream selection, many times you gotta unselect secondary steams, such as director's comments, manually; they get selected only because they are set as "english". Bug will not bother you if your files don't have multiple audio streams.
Old 19th September 2007
BS.Player Power User

kimiraikkonen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,
I'd asked similar about MP4 then i had very satisfactory answer at that link :)
http://www.bsplayer.com/forum/viewto...&highlight=mp4

Tags
playback, solution, x264 or h264