Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > General Talk And Support

General Talk And Support General talk and peer-to-peer support about BS.Player and other video and audio multimedia players.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 14th August 2004
BS.Player Newbie

thrikreen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Some avi files lock the system

I've been looking through previous posts trying to find the solution, but to no avail. I have a number of files (20+) that used to work on my system before I had to reload, but now lock the system up. Since they worked before, I'm positive it's a setting/codec type of problem.

At first, if I was using WMP, it would lock the system hard. If I was using divx player, the system would lock but I had once chance to end task on it using task manager. Almost all the time it would have a garbled screen just repeating the first second of audio. With bsplayer, I can exit out of it.
I have tried installing nemo codec pack, but that didn't work, so I removed it. I installed xvid, but that didn't help. I am currently running divx 5.11.1031. The files in question are supposed to be xvid. I have tried having the generic support checked and unchecked, no difference either way.

In VirtualDub, it gives me this error, VirtualDub has detected an improper VBR audio encoding int he source AVI file (audio stream 1)...., and then asks if I want to rewrite the header.

Gspot says that it's using the mpeg layer 3 decoder and should be fine. Here's the export information.
AVI File Details
========================================
Filesize.....: 166 MB (or 170,946 KB or 175,048,704 bytes)
Runtime......: 00:24:24 (35,106 fr)
Video Codec..: XviD
Video Bitrate: 844 kb/s
Audio Codec..: 0x0055(MP3) ID'd as MPEG-1 Layer 3
Audio Bitrate: 105 kb/s (52/ch, stereo) VBR LAME3.97a
Frame Size...: 640x480 (1.33:1) [=4:3]

I recreated the avi file and switched to divx 5.11, but the sound was incredibly skewed. I've already tried different files, and they do the same thing. Any ideas what's going on?

C.A.
Old 14th August 2004
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

You didn't mention which version of XviD-codec you tried.
However, DivX5.1.1. is not most actual version.
Perhaps try downloading and installing 5.2 first.
There's a link in this post: http://forum.bsplayer.org/viewtopic.php?p=11908#11908
Another idea - if you perhaps installed and uninstalled e.g. another player - is that something might be wrong with access to your quartz.dll.
See this post: http://forum.bsplayer.org/viewtopic.php?p=15157#15157
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 14th August 2004
BS.Player Newbie

I had tried the two most current versions of xvid.

I took care of quartz.dll, and that didn't work.

Since they didn't work until after the reload (which was before divx 5.2), I didn't think that would be a worthwhile solution. PLus I had heard of people have problems with it.

That solved it on most of them. I still have a few that are doing it.

C.A.
Old 14th August 2004
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrikreen
That solved it on most of them. I still have a few that are doing it.
:? uhhh :?:
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 15th August 2004
BS.Player Newbie

Most of the files that were experiencing this problem are now working properly. There are a few, however, that are still doing the same thing. This time though, I can exit out without hassle.

C.A.
Old 15th August 2004
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

For audio VBR use VirtualDubMod, and when asked about rewriting the header say NO.

And just to be sure, when opening the movie with BSPlayer, in filters section do you have DivX decoder, XviD decoder or FFdshow ?

Tags
avi, files, lock, system