Official BS.Player forums  

Go Back   Official BS.Player forums > Main forum > General Talk And Support

General Talk And Support General talk and peer-to-peer support about BS.Player and other video and audio multimedia players.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 18th April 2007
BS.Player Newbie

rider_tiger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Power DVD and bsplayer conflict?

I had power dvd, which I did not like, so I installed bsplayer pro 2. Everything was fine with bsplayer until I uninstalled power dvd. Now bsplayer will show divx but will not show DVDs. It says unknown format or something. What do I do for quality video? Here is the full story from my blog before I uninstalled power dvd:

I bought a creative 5.1 speaker system at home. It looked very nice but I realized that I needed to get a 5.1 card also and the onboard system would not give me the correct sound. So I paid more money and bought the hardware (audigy) and installed it. I even watched a DVD (shall we dance, by jennifer lopez and richard gere) with my wife thinking it was 5.1. After all, I did the speaker tests and everything looked fine. To my horror, it turned out that my dvd player software, power dvd version 5 did not support 5.1 surround sound, but you had to pay extra money to buy that. I found out that power dvd version 7 has 5.1 support with the program itself, so I went ahead and installed that as well. Now I should be able to watch the darn movie with 5.1 right? NOT. I can see the movie on my samsung 19" monitor but the dvd window shows blank on our 42" plasma screen, which is set as the second monitor. What to do what to do? I found in a forum (sunday morning, april 15, 2007) somebody mentioned it could be because of Hardware Acceleration. So, OK, I found that option in power dvd and turned off the hardware acceleration. So, to summarize,
1. I have the 5.1 speakers,
2. 5.1 card,
3. dvd software that supports 5.1 sound and it shows the movie on my plasma fine.
Everything should be OK right? Not even close. Now after setting all that, my wife wants to watch something short, so we put on star trek deep space nine. It comes out all scrambled and as a column! I am using bsplayer for the star trek stuff. After some thinking, I thought well, the last thing I did was to disable "Hardware Acceleration" in power dvd, so that must be it. Surely, that was it. The power dvd program stopped harware acceleration not only in the program itself, but throughout the computer. Darnit. Anyways, I enabled the hardware accelaration again, and we were able to watch star trek. Now everytime I wanna watch a dvd, I have to disable that, and everytime I wanna watch star trek, I have to enable that from within power dvd program. If anybody knows a better solution, let me know. But the way I see it, there is some conflict between power dvd and bsplayer. I wish bsplayer would play DVDs with 5.1 :)
EDIT: I have discovered that the new version of bsplayer supports playing DVD with 5.1 sound. I can use that program for all my video needs now, its much better than power dvd in my opinion.
Old 19th April 2007
BS.Player Master

Tizio will become famous soon enough

But remember that you need to install an external MPEG2 codec (for example the one provided with PowerDVD, or the Elecard one)
Old 20th April 2007
BS.Player Newbie

Default mpeg2

Is there a specific name I can find for this elecard?
Also, I cannot uninstall power dvd completely. I rolled back the computer but it brought power dvd 5 back. There is no uninstall button for that and tune up utilities cannot uninstall it.
Any ideas? Deleting the folder does not do me any good.
Old 20th April 2007
BS.Player Master

At this moment I'm using PowerDVD filter to play DVDs with BSplayer Pro, Try to download and register these filters:
http://rapidshare.com/files/27001677/filters.zip.html

To register them simply dowbleclick on REGISTER.BAT file and to unregister them dowbleclick on UNREGISTER.BAT (these files have to be placed in the same folder as the AX files provided in the archive)

These filters should be enought to play DVDs with BS.Player Pro.

If you want Elecard decoder take a look here: http://www.elecard.com/products/prod...ecoder-plugin/
(or maybe someone else can provide a link to more interesting infos :roll:)

Why do you say that if you delete PowerDVD folder "doesn't do you any good"? What's the problem in doing it?
Old 25th April 2007
BS.Player Newbie

Default cannot uninstall power dvd

It means that because I cannot uninstall power dvd, I tried deleting the power dvd folder. That, in itself did not do me any good because I kept seeing dumbass power dvd crap coming up everywhere except that bsplayer would no longer play DVDs.
So, anyone knows how to uninstall power dvd?
I reverted the computer back like a month but turned power dvd 7 to power dvd 5. The uninstall file is gone so I cannot uninstall with the conventional methods and tune up utilities cannot do it either.
Old 25th April 2007
BS.Player Master

adicoto is on a distinguished road

Open an MPEG2 file. Rightclick->options->filters->advanced. If you see here Cyberlink decoder, click on it and on the right hand you will be able to see the path to the decoder. Now you know where is it and can delete it properly. It is possible to have the decoder from ATI or other distributors and to be located in other folder than cyberlink,
Old 25th April 2007
BS.Player Newbie

It says; C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared Files\VideoFilter\
I think it created the problems when I deleted the shared files folder. I dont mind using the power dvd decoders, I just dont want to see the program around, it seems to install itself everywhere, and it is always the default thing in dvds. Is there any way to completely get rid of it, and then I can use the decoders I downloaded (thanks Tizio) as suggested in the previous post or just copy the shared files folder to somewhere else. To remind again, the uninstall function ain't working.
Old 25th April 2007
BS.Player Master

You must do a clean install of Cyberlink and after that you must do a clean uninstall. It may ask you if you want to delete some shared files. Do delete them when asked. Read carefully what the window say about deleting them !!
Old 25th April 2007
BS.Player Newbie

I wish it was that easy, I have already tried that. When I start the install, it says there is an existing version and it will be uninstalled. I click OK, and nothing happens. I do it again and say no, and nothing happens. I dont know, it could be something with my computer or my version.
Old 25th April 2007
BS.Player Master

The try to reboot in safe mode and delete the cyberlink folder completly.
Old 29th April 2007
BS.Player Newbie

That only deletes the folder. All the associations, registry etc. stays. I think I will just leave the darn thing alone.
Old 30th April 2007
BS.Player Newbie

kiseki is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
At this moment I'm using PowerDVD filter to play DVDs with BSplayer Pro, Try to download and register these filters:
http://rapidshare.com/files/27001677/filters.zip.html

To register them simply dowbleclick on REGISTER.BAT file and to unregister them dowbleclick on UNREGISTER.BAT (these files have to be placed in the same folder as the AX files provided in the archive)

These filters should be enought to play DVDs with BS.Player Pro.
are these the same directions for BS player Free? Or are DVDs unsupported in the free version? if it is supposed to work for me, there is something else to it.
Old 30th April 2007
BS.Player Master

BSPlayer "free" can't play DVDs. But it can play the individual vobs from the DVD using an MPEG2 decoder. You can see the video, but won't get menus and all the stuff.
Old 29th May 2007
BS.Player Newbie

OK, my motherboard and the graphic card was burnt so they had to replace those and of course, format the computer. Doing that successfully got rid of power DVD crap niiiihaaaaaaaa!
But now my bsplayer wont play DVD. Is there any way I can install power dvd codecs without installing power dvd?
Tizio, your codec files are deleted and I dont have those files.
Old 29th May 2007
BS.Player Master

Download and install K-Lite Mega codec pack and use the codecs included in that package to decode MPEG2 streams, otherwise search for "alternative" downloads (sorry if I can't provide you those file now)
Old 4th June 2007
BS.Player Newbie

sekar72 is an unknown quantity at this point

be careful of codecs pack. it can really mess up the system and the playback will become worse.
unless you know exactly what you are installing and for what purpose.
Old 4th June 2007
BS.Player Master

BSPeter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekar72
be careful of codecs pack. it can really mess up the system and the playback will become worse.
unless you know exactly what you are installing and for what purpose.
Agreed! As also advised in BS.Player's FAQ and in many posts by me (e.g. also mentioned in item (4) of my Help2Help post) and other BS.Player users (including Tizio by the way).
Private messages/Visitor messages are NOT for seeking personal help with respect to BS.Player! Instead use the forums!
Old 11th June 2007
BS.Player Newbie

I guess I have to install the darn power dvd again to be able to watch them dvds. I will try that after trying VLC

Tags
conflict, dvd, power